• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Wag Aero 2+2 flaps and aileron questions

dlwoolsey

668 8th avenue Salt Lake City, Ut.
I am sorry if this is a repeat. I searched for an old thread but to no avail. I have just started on my rebuild and have a question about moving the aileron out to the end of the squared off wings.
1. Do you move the cable system out with the aileron so that it aligns with the control horn or do you redo the aileron so that the control horn stays in the same position relative to the cable system?
2. For the flaps, does the actuator need to be on the middle hanger of the larger flaps if you have three hangers, or is it still ok to have it on the inboard hanger?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Duane Woolsey

I have a Backcountry Cub with extended wings.
1. The cable system is as original. The aileron control horn was moved to the inboard hinge location.
2. The flaps were lengthened to four hinges. There are two control horns tied together with a cable. One on each of the two center hinges. Two springs, one on each control horn.

I would think that putting the aileron bellcrank on the inboard hinge would create more twisting of the entire aileron. Food for thought.

Steve,
That is the way that Backcountry makes their extended wings. They also use grease fitting ball end fittings for hinges. I haven't flown mine yet. Perhaps someone here has and can elaborate.

I have an extended Dakota Cub wing in the shop now and the cabling is totally different and in the center of the aileron. I know Mark and this wing was tested to Part 23 standards to 2300 lbs so I trust it. I don't know if the 2+2 is a metal or aluminum aileron but something to think about before modifying a proven design. I am sure Backcountry has engineered the system.

I have seen Smith Cubs using the 2nd hinge (of 4) for the ailerons. This keeps the same geometry/location of stock Cub. Then extended to square wingtip. I moved mine out a bit and went to center pivot.

Bugs,
My ailerons have 3 hinges with the control horn on the inboard hinge in the original Piper location. The flaps go all the way to that point about double the length of the originals.

Thanks to all for the input. Do any of you have drawings or pictures that might help me with moving the cables out if I decide to go that route?

Thanks, Duane

I'm not familiar with the Wag Aero 2+2. Does one cable go up the front strut like the Cub? Or do both cables run out inside the wing? If it is the latter then it is just a matter of making the cables longer and relocating a bell crank further outboard. If one cable goes up the strut then there will need to be a pulley to change direction at the top of the strut and another further out to change direction aft to the aileron. This would become more complicated.

Both cables in the wing. I moved the aileron out last night and got the hangers and the cove in place and attached. I will work on getting the cables moved in the next couple of days. I am now wondering if I will need some kind of compression strut to go between the front and rear spar to help take up the compression loads as the aileron is actuated. I will let you know what I figure out as I work through the issues.

Thanks,

Duane

Back