• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Mystery metal pieces found in Lycoming 0-320

White City, Oregon
Dad found these chunks of metal in the pan of a 0-320 when doing a prop strike inspection.... We have overhauled probably 50 or more Lycoming's over the years and for the life of us we can not figure out where these parts came from.....

They are aluminum. Figured out the two smaller pieces fit together and are the same length as the longer one. You can also see on the long piece where it is getting wear at the same location as the break of the two smaller pieces. They are about 1/2" long by 1/8" wide with a slight concave surface amongst the length.

What do you all think...??? Would be nice to be able to tear this engine down knowing what we are up against.....

bd823feb.jpg

5142a9da.jpg

Brian.

Attachments

• bd823feb.jpg
    bd823feb.jpg
    263 KB · Views: 265
  • 5142a9da.jpg
    5142a9da.jpg
    238.7 KB · Views: 225
When faced with soimething like this I have sent the items to Lycoming.

One time it was the "cage" for the Oil Press Relief Valve.

P.o.P

I think you just hit the nail on the head..... I have a spare case in the shop and just checked the Oil Press Relief Valve cage and it is a match for the pieces I have.....

Thanks...

Brian.

My "Enlightenment" on this was Pre-Watergate!

Glad to help similar to how Joe Diblin helped me.

Hah, I pondered that all during lunch and drew a blank. P.o.P. hit the nail on the head, the old style oil pressure relief valve cage. 8)

?? So does that mean there's a spring, washers, and ball bearing rattling around in the engine somewhere ??

Jim W

Mike,

I can get a pic of the good one easy enough, the engine in question is about 3 hours North of us on Interstate 5.... I will see if the owner can get a pic of it for me..... I do have the broken pieces though...

Brian.

Here is a picture of the old style oil pressure cage and seat found on the upper right side of the crankcase.
100_6113.JPG
and here is the newer style oil pressure relief valve seat.
100_6114.JPG

They both take different housings and seem to get mixed up at overhaul when the cage is removed and the new seat modification are done at the crankcase shop and the assembling mechanic doesn't realize it and tries to install the parts that were originally installed. You get fluctuating oil pressure. :(

Attachments

• 100_6113.JPG
    100_6113.JPG
    446.9 KB · Views: 155
  • 100_6114.JPG
    100_6114.JPG
    462.4 KB · Views: 147
You were absolutely correct. I removed the valve today to find the top and bottom lugs missing from the retainer. I will try to get a photo of it and post it later.

I can not imagine how that part could possibly have any loads on it that could make it break unless maybe there was no gasket under the cap causing it to be crushed. Do you suppose that someone tried to remove it sometime in the past and damaged it in the process? What does the rest of it look like?

The rest of it looks fine unfortunately I had to leave for work for a couple weeks so I wont be able to post pictures until my return. The gasket was in place. not overly crushed. I don't see any obvious marks on it that would indicate someone trying to remove it.

At this point, it is a mystery as to why it broke..... The airplane is new to tharrold and it is possible that the parts have been floating in the oil pan ever sence he picked it up last year..... Once he gets the airplane ferried to my shop we will be doing a more detailed check to see what may have caused the part to fail, along with fixing the damage to his wing tip....:)

Brian.

Techs are taught not to use a MAGNET to remove the BAll or on Lifters.

My guess is someone may have tried to a little too agressively to remove with a screwdriver or similar.

The ones I encountered were found during an oil change. ( Sump ON)

Back