• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Prop/Rigging Observations

King Brown

Nova Scotia
We changed 2250 float rigging from 6 to 3.75 degrees incidence because 0-360 Bushmaster with MacAuley 84/43 prop was almost burying tailfeathers in spectacular takeoffs but providing only 84mph cruise. The change increased cruise by 8mph.

Beginning the takeoff now, nosing lower on the step for speed, the rpm has also decreased slightly to 2350-plus but it increases fairly rapidly after takeoff to 2500-plus. The change increased takeoff distance at gross.

I thought the lower rpm may have been caused by old air filter. I changed to a new filter but no difference. My guess is that current performance is related to changed incidence, angle of attack. Appreciate any comments.

We changed 2250 float rigging from 6 to 3.75 degrees incidence because 0-360 Bushmaster with MacAuley 84/43 prop was almost burying tailfeathers in spectacular takeoffs but providing only 84mph cruise. The change increased cruise by 8mph.

Beginning the takeoff now, nosing lower on the step for speed, the rpm has also decreased slightly to 2350-plus but it increases fairly rapidly after takeoff to 2500-plus. The change increased takeoff distance at gross.

I thought the lower rpm may have been caused by old air filter. I changed to a new filter but no difference. My guess is that current performance is related to changed incidence, angle of attack. Appreciate any comments.

I can not comment on your rpm change. Your performance change is just as you have guessed. It sounds as though you would be a good candidate for a set of Doug Keller's new flaps. http://www.supercub.org/forum/showt...Article-with-Pictures-on-the-Planes-at-Valdez
My guess would be that you would get your old take off performance back with out any penalty.

Thank you. Our Bushmaster has Smith wings. Now, the wait to see when Doug Keller's flaps go to market.

Back