• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Landing gear safety cables

Dale Strong

Wardner BC CANADA
What are you guys leaving for slack on your bottom gear safty cables.I measured the travel on a hydrosorb and it was around 6 inches,so should a guy leave 6 inches or can you get away with less?

THANKS

Last edited:
If I'm not mistaken, the purpose of the safety cables aren't to limit the travel of the hydrasorb.

Wouldn't a better question be...What is the length of the bottom safety cables for standard/3inch/6inch (for whatever you have) gear legs?

Exactly how does one measure slack anyway?

You are correct ,the cable is not to limit the hydrosorb,but if the hydrosorb has 6 inches of travel then you don't want to put a cable on that only allows it to travel one inch.[slack]
The length of the gear makes no difference in the slack ,whatever the length of gear you have you need that length of cable PLUS the slack that alows the hydrosorb to be able to travel and do its job.
The cables are there for safety incase a hydrosorb or bottom tube brakes ,it will stop the plane from allowing the broken gear to flop out and the plane drop that wing into the ground .If you gave it 2 feet of slack it would be to much and would allow the gear to come up hit and buckel the lift strut ,then the wing hits,the prop hits ,the cowl hits and so on .
So the slack has to be enough to allow the hydrosorb to work but not to much so that all the bad stuff happens.

I've noticed several instances where the Atlee Dodge cables have been installed with the plate mounted to the cabane "V" upside down. According to Atlee this will allow the gear to go overcenter on the cable and the same damage could occur as if no cables were installed. Per Atlee the plate needs to be installed with the cables on the bottom of the plate and the stamped letters"Atlee Dodge" right side up. Hate to see someone hauling the weight of cables around only to find out the hard way.

I was also recently wondering about this. I had standard length PA-18 cables laying around but have 3 inch extended PA-18 gear on my PA-12. After I sold them I found out a friend of mine (redeye) had the same problem, but turned the bottom tabs in and the standard length actually fit his extended gear plane with no issues I believe. I wish I hadn't sold mine, because I have yet to replace them.

Richard
Not sure how the 12's gear is setup but unless I,m missing something the bottom tabs will be turned in if the cables ever come into play. If your sure standard length cables would work, I,ve got an extra set of Atlee cables, STD. Length I would sell reasonably. They were removed for extended gear install.
Ray

Richard
Not sure how the 12's gear is setup but unless I,m missing something the bottom tabs will be turned in if the cables ever come into play. If your sure standard length cables would work, I,ve got an extra set of Atlee cables, STD. Length I would sell reasonably. They were removed for extended gear install.
Ray

the -12 ones with -18 gear are longer(shock strut is longer) than for -18 gear on an -18

I have no idea either what he is trying to say about tabs..???

My gear is longer then stock that is why I asked the [slack] question??

$177.50 from F. Atlee Dodge [That is the cheapest insurance you will ever buy and only have to purchace it once.]

Hey Tim

I still have my chopper but bought a float plane and put SC style extended gear under her for when she is on wheels.

Back