• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Super Cubs Build Options-Oshkosh 2011 Forum by Bill Rusk

Sonexpilot

Oshkosh
Just wanted to alert everyone that Bill Rusk will be presenting a forum on Super Cub Build Options at AirVenture-Oshkosh on Saturday, 7/30/2011 - 10:00 AM - 11:15 AM at the Homebuilders Hangar. He will be sharing his insights from researching his next project and go over all the current build options. Should be a great topic and one I wish was available to me 6 months ago before I jumped into the deep end of the pool.

So if you've been thinking about building your own Super Cub, put this on your list for Oshkosh. And if you're knee deep in a project, you should come by and share you experiences as well. Hope to see you there.

Sure, here you go DA. We heated up and pulled together the front end last night. If you come to Oshkosh and want to see it, let me know.

Attachments

• IMAG0211.jpg
    IMAG0211.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 205
Man - I wish you had a build thread/gallery! So is the front the only thing you had the heat to bend? Is that because of the diagonal? Door on both sides?

By far, my favorite Part of my build was fabricating the fuselage. To see it form up from nothing but tubing is pretty cool when you have never done it before. I highly recommend it, welding is easy to learn. I love building my wood wing but having done woodworking for ever I know what I can do. The fuselage is so different and that makes so interesting to do.
Marty57

Man - I wish you had a build thread/gallery! So is the front the only thing you had the heat to bend? Is that because of the diagonal? Door on both sides?

I'm going to put some gallery together just haven't decided where or how. I get frustrated on supercub.org at times trying to find the build photos so it will probably be on a website or facebook page.

So far, the only thing we have bent with heat is the front because the bend is significant compared to the tail. Top and bottom longerons were done cold with a tubing bender. Tail was just pulled in cold (my friend Earl Luce of Buttercup/Tailwind fame suggested that approach).

And yes there will be a door on both sides. I absolutely loved flying my old 90hp Super Cub with the door open and can only imagine it will be that much better with another. Like a motorcycle of the air.

Last edited:
Sure, here you go DA. We heated up and pulled together the front end last night. If you come to Oshkosh and want to see it, let me know.

your picture reminds me of an important thought/something I was taught(that someone else had run into and was nice enough to warn me about!)....

make sure you can fit engine mount bolts in as you make the mount gussets at front/firewall area of fuselage.... something reminds me about the weld in corner can get in the way of bolt head......

your picture reminds me of an important thought/something I was taught(that someone else had run into and was nice enough to warn me about!)....

make sure you can fit engine mount bolts in as you make the mount gussets at front/firewall area of fuselage.... something reminds me about the weld in corner can get in the way of bolt head......

Yep mike, happened to me trying to get a washer and bolt flush on the inside. Good to watch for that one early.

By far, my favorite Part of my build was fabricating the fuselage. To see it form up from nothing but tubing is pretty cool when you have never done it before. I highly recommend it, welding is easy to learn. I love building my wood wing but having done woodworking for ever I know what I can do. The fuselage is so different and that makes so interesting to do.
Marty57

Marty, same with me! I absolutely loved the welding part. You just get into that "zen-focus" trying to make pretty welds as you lay down bead. During the rest, I'm always trying to stay 10 steps ahead on parts, proceedures, holes in my knowledge etc. Some days I miss welding.... But, I just welded up some engine cable mounts and I got a recent fix. Fun.

Whoops, thanks Bill for doing this. Almost a thread hijack. I think it's a super worthwhile topic for those tent meetings in builders corner. I actually like some of those talks. Bill, I'm sure it will be popular and timely. Be sure to plug supercub.org!

Last edited:
Yep mike, happened to me trying to get a washer and bolt flush on the inside. Good to watch for that one early.

and I think... that's the ONLY weld/fit area that's a real concern on a cub...????????? since every thing else fits like well and worn 70 year old tractor.....

To bring this thread back to the original topic, I just want to thank Bill for doing this forum at AirVenture. He did an outstanding job. Lots of great information. Also gave us Cub builders a chance to meet each other in person

I really, really wanted to attend.... I was in earlier in the week and couldn't stick till Saturday. Plus, I didn't want to be guilty of a bunch of "Amen's" from the back row. Glad it went well.

I'm going to put some gallery together just haven't decided where or how. I get frustrated on supercub.org at times trying to find the build photos so it will probably be on a website or facebook page.

Why Not a blog here on the site of your build?
I think it is much better than going elsewhere IMHO... the advantage of the blog is that as you post your progress, on the updates and pictures there could be a whole lot of debate there, and it´s keep together. I see many build threads, and you end up going back and forth all the time before you get that one bit that you remembered but needed referenced.

Give it and go, you can always change elsewhere if it´s not working out for you... Facebook is not the best option IMO since you get little option on threads there and it gets murky to follow.
Besides, what better place than SC.org for a build blog... :D

Great looking frame!!!! (Y)

I really, really wanted to attend.... I was in earlier in the week and couldn't stick till Saturday. Plus, I didn't want to be guilty of a bunch of "Amen's" from the back row. Glad it went well.

And you didn't even show your face at New Holstein? GEEEEEZEEE I see how you are... :)

sj

And you didn't even show your face at New Holstein? GEEEEEZEEE I see how you are... :)

sj

Limited time....and I don't even have a cub! Yet. Maybe it'll fly in a month or two..??

Not for lack of wanting, but, just like J.C., it's hard watching everyone else fly and play.:roll: Hopefully, it'll be my last missed event for a while. Fly soon.8)

Last edited:
Back