• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Cant find a PMA'd part--Now what?

nutter3

Kenai,AK
So I really need a new throttle cable in our certified PA-14. No one has a PMA'd part. McFarlane says they can make me one, but it isn't certified. What needs to be done to make the FAA types happy? Does it need a field approval? Seems those are hard to get theses days.
Any help would be appreciated. It has a 0-360 in it if that makes any difference. Thanks.

Some parts just have to look PMA'd. ;-)
Have one made up and keep moving forward.

Yup. This is an appropriate circumstance for an Owner Produced Part - where an otherwise certified part is not available.

Like Gordon said Owner produced part, You can make it youself or have someone else make it to your specs. it is legal.

DW- Not to your specs, but to the original specs. Your specs are an alteration.

A word to the wise (If it looks original and you keep your mouth shut then ????????????) The throttle cable is one of these opportunities.

I just read something on the J3 site about similar issue with "owner produced" parts. If you provide the specs or drawings of the part it apparently qualifies as "owner produced" parts.
Marty57

Skywagon8a I would agree if the specs. are available if not, then as StewartB says a field approval. but like others have said no harm no foul.

I think I agree with just about everybody above.

The field approval process is not clear any more. Some days I walk in there and it is no problem, other days it is impossible, and they will say so. I am in the process of getting one approved right now, with non-PMA parts, but it is possible that it will be turned off before it is turned on.

This happens to me all the time: Hey Bob - I just put a new throttle cable in - can you sign it off? My answer is invariably no - and my broad hint is that nobody can tell it is a new throttle cable. I cannot tell them it does not need to be signed off; that would be a breach of my duty as an IA.

PMA'd part? I do not know when the PMA process began. During the time frame of when the PA-14 and earlier planes were certified there were a lot of off the shelf parts used and were so designated on the drawings. I'm just speculating, but that throttle control "could" be the same as that which is on a tractor or some other non aircraft mechanical device?

I believe that a McFarland or ACS (Aircraft Spruce) cable would be far superior to a factory 1948 Piper cable. Looks like the kind of thing AC 23-27 was written for. http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgAdvisoryCircular.nsf/0/ccf7daac581048cd862575e6006ca078/$FILE/AC%2023-27.pdf

Bob, Do you have the FAA document to Perform Field Approval of Major Repairs and Major Alterations
http://fsims.faa.gov/PICDetail.aspx?docId=E748AA8119D00C248525734F0076663A
Figure 4-68, Major Alterations Job Aid gives a comprehensive list of what can be field approved and how. I have been told "they won't let us approve that" until I quote this document. Then there is a long pause followed by "let me check into that."

Steve,

I've provided the link to Bob over on the J3 site and he finds it more fun to complain about the FAA than follow their directions.:wink: :roll: :lol:

John Scott

Nice, John. I get my share of approvals. They are independent of any book. No fed has to sign off a field approval; they can just say no. I believe the book forces them to provide a written reason for refusing, but I don't think I will ever be pushing them for that. If they look me in the eye and say "no" I just try tactfully a little bit later. My POI has told me to my face that I am one of the "good guys" and I intend to keep it that way.

Back