• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Flying A PA-11 From Sauk Centre Minnesota To Anchorage AK

Tal Erickson

Anchorage Ak
Back to another long adventure but, this time with my cousin Nick Larson in his new to him 100 hp Pa-11. We are planning on leaving Tuesday morning and flying in the states till Scobey Montana and then crossing at Scobey border station. Any advice? Has anyone crossed there before? Good places to stop along the way after we are in Canada?

If you guys are interested you can fallow us again via Spot.

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0t5VgtkkollujrbktWiR5F5ZcWodnNCU0

Last edited:
Ha, I have my F18 ready and waiting with all tools loaded. :)

Tal, you and Nick have fun. Can't wait to hear the stories. Liard Hot Springs look out. ;)

101_9538.JPG

Attachments

• 101_9538.JPG
    101_9538.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 214
Tal
I have cross at Scobey a few times , gopher holes it the very west end of the strip, but other wise a good place to cross. There is self serve fuel at Scobey[9s2] airport 10 miles south of the Scobey border station or there was last September.
Doug

Nimpo lake is a great spot for cubs as long as Logan is not out scaring fish!!!

you have a place here in Juneau if you need or want it.

Whitehorse is a FUN town Tal. When single, I could never get out of there in less than 24 hours!

Well the guys had a slight delay due to a rusted lower shock strut. The airplane is now flying and Nick is flying back solo. Seems the 100 degree temps took their toll on Tal and he had to return to the cool north. 8) Nick is waiting out low ceilings in South Dakota right now and then heading to Agpilot's place south of Miles City and then to Winifred and on to Cutbank.

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=06kyHfJ23MUPBOMiKjypVzT8UfttVvPl8

Looks like Nick went to the big airport at Miles City and then to Winifred. Talked to him earlier and he was planning on overnighting at Cutbank and then crossing the border at Del Bonita where Tal and I went across. Kinda cool watching from this end but wishing I was flying.

Wish you were flying????

Pictures of you were sleeping, and loafing in the pool...

Bet Nick was wishing you were there also!

I stopped in at Winifred to stretch my legs and meet a couple of sc.orgers. Now I'm sitting in the lounge at Cutbank, finalizing my route through Canada... Del Bonita, Three Hills, Whitecourt, Dawson Creek, Ft St John, Ft Nelson, Watson Lake, Whitehorse, Beaver Creek, Northway

Any tips on gas/lack of gas? Good camping airports or bad ones?

remember, if you are following the highway from Whitehorse to Northway, the only fuel available is in Haines Jct., or sometimes a guy in Beaver Creek named BEET has fuel, but for his own use so may not be there. Note: there is no fuel in Northway either, you have to get to TOK!

Weather here in Juneau has been great. If you decide to cut to the coast and are coming by Juneau, give me a call 723-0435

Tal and I fueled up at Cooking Lake and that got us to Ft. St. John. We stopped at Ft. Nelson but they were closed and made it to Watson Lake no problem where fuel was high if I remember correctly. Fueled at Whitehorse and then got a ride into town at Beaver Creek and filled two gas bags and had plenty of gas to make Gulkana with lots to spare.

I hear you met the infamous Bill Tracy at Winifred. Good call going to Miles City as Dave was spraying most of the day and wasn't there.

Unfortunately I got fresh asphault sealant on my new bushwheels in three hills...oh well nothing some sand bars won't clean off

Dieter is around today if you make it to Fort St John, if you want you can land at the Grand Haven grass strip the strip is 5 miles west of main airport on the gps, it is right on the edge of the control zone and there is a airplane for a wind sock, that is where I park my cub instead of the main airport ,have gas, we have room to stay. 2507853207 or 2502611883.

I stopped in Dawson creek. All my GPS batteries died and I'm to exhausted to keep going. Thanks gntw for the offer!

Thats to bad, you are so close. I will let Dieter know as he is still at Grand Haven working on a plane.

coastal weather down today... looks like just morning foggy stuff. Usual fare.

hope it it nice down there. keep us posted on the route, I will be flying a 170 up later this week.

Back home safe! I had a stuck exhaust valve in Dawson Creek, it didn't take to long to clear it thanks to a very helpful guy named Larry. I stopped in Ft Nelson, then camped at Watson Lake that night. The self serve gas there didn't work. I ended up buying gas from a local pilot, he said they always have trouble with those pumps. Yesterday I topped off at Whitehorse and filed a flight plan direct to Northway, fueled up in Gulkana and landed at Lake Hood at about 9:30 local

Gotta love the fuel burn on the little Continentals. Followed you till Gulkana and then I crashed. Pictures on Facebook looked familiar. :)

Back