• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Break in MP

willirw

Alaska
I purchased a 0-375 from Bart for my Back Country Cub and am planning on using a Catto 84-44 propeller. Bart said the prop would be good however I need to develop at least 24" of manifold pressure without over speeding. I was hoping some of you could share your experiences with me.

Thanks, Randy

Full throttle and 2700 rpm. If the engine wants to over speed with the Catto, borrow another prop with more pitch until it is broken in.

It might be tough to get that much MP with out over speeding, hummmm, you may have to borrow a prop for the break in. I did. Best of luck.

Bill

No MP gauge in my plane. I broke it in with my everyday prop, an 82/42 Borer. The engine was run-in using BJs recommendations even though Bob didn't build the engine. Start and run at 1800rpm for two minutes, stop and let cool to ambient, repeat but run for three minutes, let cool to ambient, start and run three minutes then finish with one minute at full throttle, stop and let cool. That may not be the exact timing sequence but it's close (my engine was built by me so no factory run-in was done. Yours may already be run-in). Once that was accomplished and it was time for the first flight I focused on minimizing ground and taxi time and keeping the engine ops at 65%-75% power while making changes in throttle setting so I didn't spend all the time at one constant RPM setting. It seems to have worked. Using nickel cylinders the oil consumption stabilized within the initial 2 hours.

http://www.eci.aero/pdf/BreakInInstructions.pdf

Enjoy the first flight!

Stewart

There are many different combinations of break in procedures. The key points are to make sure that here are no oil leaks then DO NOT BABY IT! Run it hard with lots of cooling air.

I had a friend pick up a new 172 with a float kit at the factory. He was instructed to run it at full throttle all the way home. The only thing was to not exceed the 2700 rpm red line. By the time he got home the throttle handle was back about an inch from where it was when he started. Remember that this had a seaplane prop and was on wheels with no manifold gage. The 0-320-H engine ran beautifully until some dam fool wrecked it at 240 TT.

Here's the Lycoming recommendation for break-in. Not very different from ECI. (The run-in instructions are quite different.)

C. FLIGHT TEST.
WARNING
ENGINE TEST CLUBS MUST BE REPLACED WITH APPROVED FLIGHT PROPELLERS BEFORE FLYING AIRCRAFT.
1. Start the engine and perform a normal preflight run-up in accordance with the engine operator’s manual.
2. Take off at airframe recommended take off power, while monitoring RPM, fuel flow, oil pressure, oil temperature and cylinder head temperatures.
3. As soon as possible, reduce to climb power specified in operator’s manual. Assume a shallow climb angle to a suitable cruise altitude. Adjust mixture per pilot’s operating handbook (POH).
4. After establishing cruise altitude, reduce power to approximately 75% and continue flight for 2 hours. For the second hour, alternate power settings between 65% and 75% power per operator’s manual.
NOTE
If the engine is normally aspirated (non-turbocharged), it will be necessary to cruise at the lower altitudes to obtain the required cruise power levels. Density altitude in excess of 8,000 feet (5,000 feet is recommended) will not allow the engine to develop sufficient cruise power for a good break-in.
5. Increase engine power to maximum airframe recommendations and maintain for 30 minutes, provided engine and aircraft are performing within operating manual specifications.
Page 3 of 7
CAUTION
AVOID LOW-MANIFOLD PRESSURE DURING HIGH ENGINE SPEEDS (UNDER 15” HG.) AND RAPID CHANGES IN ENGINE SPEEDS WITH ENGINES THAT HAVE DYNAMIC COUNTERWEIGHT ASSEMBLIES. THESE CONDITIONS CAN DAMAGE THE COUNTERWEIGHTS, ROLLERS OR BUSHINGS, THEREBY CAUSING DETUNING.
6. Descend at low cruise power while closely monitoring the engine instruments. Avoid long descents at low manifold pressure. Do not reduce altitude too rapidly or the engine temperature may drop too quickly.
CAUTION
AVOID ANY CLOSED THROTTLE DESCENTS. CLOSED THROTTLE OPERATION DURING DESCENTS WILL CAUSE RING FLUTTER CAUSING DAMAGE TO THE CYLINDERS AND RINGS.
7. After landing and shutdown, check for leaks at fuel and oil fittings and at engine and accessory parting surfaces. Compute fuel and oil consumption and compare the limits given in operator’s manual. If consumption exceeds figures shown in manual, determine the cause before releasing the aircraft for service.
8. Remove oil suction screen and oil pressure screen or oil filter to check again for contamination. NOTE
To seat the piston rings in a newly overhauled engine, cruise the aircraft at 65% to 75% power for the first 50 hours, or until oil consumption stabilizes.

Source: http://www.lycoming.textron.com/support/publications/service-instructions/pdfs/SI1427B.pdf

Penn Yan's version: http://www.pennyanaero.com/pages/break_in_operating

The common points? Maintain 75% power for the first flight hour and manage heat. I had a new engine cook itself with CHTs well into the red. There was nothing I could do. Staying near a suitable landing area until the temps prove manageable is a good idea. I hate doing laps over the airport, though. The last two engine break-ins for me started with the initial flight from Birchwood. Climb to a suitable over-field altitude, two or three laps, see the CHTs level off, and point it west across the inlet. Smart timing would have the tide be low but I never thought of that until after. I know guys who climb to 5,000 and run laps over the airport for hours. Too boring for me.

New engine, new airplane? There will be a thousand things running through your head right until you push the throttle forward. Then for me the details went away and I was just flying. Make a checklist of important things to keep track of. Don't fixate on one thing and forget others. Manage engine temps, check rigging and see if it flies hands-off, assure yourself that the burning smell really is just paint on that new engine....it's the most exhilarating flight you'll ever make.

Stewart

Back