PDA

View Full Version : Any ideas/methods for dealing with the straps on the tank install!!??

Iflylower
06-01-2011, 10:27 PM
Man, who's responsible for this strapped in gas tank with an angled support pole through the middle!!??:bad-words::bad-words::bad-words:

Spent way to long trying to put one tank in a covered wing. Took me literally a few hours to find a method to work it together. Plenty of room to drop tools and wrenches and hardware so the tank has to come back out, but not so much room to wrench.

I don't have my diagonal finished. The bolt is through, but I gave up for the day trying to start a nylok on it. And, there is so little room, I think I can get about a 1/16 of a turn per wrench swing.

Advice on attach method/order?

Last question, how much do you tighten the straps?

I hope any answers will help more than just myself, or I'd just call friends. I'm interested in what get's posted. Thanks.

Iflylower
06-01-2011, 10:32 PM
I shoulda mentioned that it was way easier with no fabric. But, easy is still pushing it.:(

spinner2
06-01-2011, 10:47 PM
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/hapages/MS21043.php

Try these MS21043 nuts. You should be able to easily get a socket on them. The built-in washer pushes the hex head away from the strap and allows a socket to slip on.

skywagon8a
06-02-2011, 07:16 AM
You left out an inspection opening.

Iflylower
06-02-2011, 09:34 AM
I put in every prescribed inspection hole. Closest is the fuel drain hole. Second, it has supposed access from the tank cover.

Hopefully, I'll be more successful later.

Iflylower
06-02-2011, 10:31 AM
I think that my post is a tough one to answer. You just work it till it works. I did discover that the double bolt in the front strap facing up, with the bottom nut, just one with a few threads showing seems to work best to get the straps connected.

Today is a new day, and hopefully I'll have better luck, and the second tank should go better after I make all the mistakes on the first.

From another current thread, it looks like the smith/TCOW aren't haven't much more luck on tank straps.

JayH
06-02-2011, 07:54 PM
Ifly,
Just finished up my left wing 30 min ago. Everything you discuss is spot on. Dropped hardware, tools........under the tank. Tank in and out, got everything done, good right? WRONG! Layed my tank cover on and the hole for the fuel cap didn't line up. S$%$*%&^T. Tear everything apart to move tank 1". Back together.......and the story goes on. I did put an inspection hole right near that inside cross member bolt. Still a major PITA. I got everything started, got wrench on the nut and used a 1/4"drive ratchet with an extension and a knuckle. Snaked that up through the same hole my arm was in. Good thing no video was running as my wing is on a saw horse. Good news, it will go together at some point. Hang in there.
Jay

12Geezer2
06-02-2011, 08:56 PM
Get someone with small hands. I can't get my fat mitts through a standard inspection ring. Ag-pilot is real good at the tank installation but he has more "standard" size hands. Might help to customize the bend in a wrench with the torch.

sharp
06-02-2011, 09:09 PM
Yep, sacrafice a wrench. Bent it about 30 degrees and it woked much better. Also more turn per stroke, so to speak....

Steve Pierce
06-02-2011, 11:45 PM
Yep, bend a wrench or a 1/4 drive crows foot. I run the bottom nut up if I can and then tighten the top one. Sometimes you have to hold the middle stud with a pair of needle nose vice grips to get the nuts even. As far as the tank rod, use a bullet made out of a bolt with the head cut off and make a hole in the wing root fabric to allow access. Have a long skinny magnet handy also.

mike mcs repair
06-03-2011, 04:20 PM
Put bottom nut on just enough to get it to lock on some..

Lay tank in, measure where lid will fit filler next, position tank..

Connect straps and nylocks on top, just start nuts..

Lay tank cover on and make sure filler neck will be centered in hole with a couple tank lid screws started.... Reposition tank if needed,, remove cover

Put vise grip on stud and tighten nut till there is 3/16" of stud protruding, add a second nut on protruding stud and lock it against the first nut..

Remove vise grip

Take and put a bent wrench on lower stud nut.

Turn the two nuts on top to spin stud and tighten lower nut, once tight remove extra nut on top, you might even loosen to nut that's left some, to keep stud from wearing a hole through tank cover..

Put masking tape ..loop? Too keep aileron cable from getting hooked on studs, until it's hooked up and tight

Oh and do that logos nut on rod firsts.... Yup it sucks, two wrenches... Get over it.....