• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

AK to CA

Pennsylvania
May be going to Anchorage area to pick up a Super Cub and then fly it home to CA in the next month or so. Any recommendations on best route? Will be limited to VFR.

Just search the word "trench" and you will get a lot of threads and info on routes, stops, fuel, hotels, etc on flying from AK to the lower 48. Seems every thread on that route will have that word in there somewhere even if you don't go that way.
Lots of good info. Congrats on a new airplane and have fun.

Bill

Still looking for the right airplane...a few candidates in AK look good on paper and in pics.

Thanks for the advise...searching "trench" now. I gather the "IFR" advantage of the highway is why this route is preferred over the coast?

The reason most people avoid the "Trench" is that there is limited fuel or support available. If you have extra fuel it can be the way to go. Also as I am sure George will pipe in, if the weather is good the coast is a blast. lots of ways to go, but by far the safest if you have difficulties is the road.

Now why in the heck would you want to take a supercub from Alaska to Kalifornia? Im im Kalifornia trying to take my supercub to Alaska! Keep it up there and get some fishing in before you bring it down....just sayin

Ahhhh..a good question indeed. Need JOB to pay for CUB. JOB in CA.:sad:

Dale,

I am back....

The coast offers bets landing opportunities from Cordova to Just south of Yakutat... Just look up Ed Doyle for proof:help

So easy, even an Eaton could do it:anon

also lots of great fishing on that route...

But the best way, the very best way to fly a cub south, is send me the address it goes to, tickets home, and a fuel card and it will magically show up!

I will keep that in mind.....seems I might miss something though. Headed to Minneapolis to look at wide body sc this weekend. After that FL to look at smith cub. Alaska after that if the first 2 don't work out.

If they dont work out I know where there is a real dandy for sale....no George, it's not mine!

N4961L,

I am doing the opposite of what you're doing. I will be flying my new Supercub from Santa Rosa, CA up to Anchorage around 7 June or so. Bought it back in March, but didn't feel like flying it up to AK in the winter, so parked it in CA for a couple of months.
I have decided to fly the highway up to AK. Don't have the legs for the coast and don't want to deal with the weather and limited fuel of the trench. So my route for now is:

Santa Rosa, CA - Bellingham
Vancouver (or ???) - Prince George
Prince George - Ft. St. John
Ft. St. John - Ft. Nelson
Fort Nelson - Watson Lake
Watson Lake - Whitehorse
Whitehorse - Haines Junction
Haines Junction - Northway
Northway - Merrill Field

Anybody see anything wrong with this route? Any recommendations on the best/easiest airfield to clear customs in Canada?

Back