• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

j3 dual door experimental fuselage

L16abe

ct
j3 dual door exp fuselage ? is there such an animal out there on the market parts or fully built and if so were can i find one? thanks

javroninc.com talk to Jay DeRosier, he can hook you right up.
218-829-9320

What does a second door add for weight? I could make an educated guess, but I've never actually checked before and after.

Please, no offense, just curious of the weight if anyone knows. DAVE

What does a second door add for weight? I could make an educated guess, but I've never actually checked before and after.

Please, no offense, just curious of the weight if anyone knows. DAVE
good Q's it has to add more weight but don't know how much ,still looking for some info help a brother out

If you are going seaplane, it is an excellent idea. If you just want to fly around with the left hand side open, my advice is do not do it! It will not be pleasant, and it makes the throttle linkage problematic.

from other thread..
http://www.supercub.org/forum/showthread.php?37340-Our-Cub-Project&highlight=door+throttle

my idea for throttle in door... (click for bigger)
door throttle 01.jpg
one problem with this is no throttle when door open.. might want something up in front of door like you have in throttle cable..
blue part is on inside of door, and red is on inside of fuselage, both share the pivot location(but not one bolt)(stolen from 1929 fairchild aileron linkage for the folding wings)

Attachments

• door throttle 01.jpg
    door throttle 01.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 174
Geeez Mike. If the pilot should open that door any time that the engine is running, the hinge on your red/blue bellcrank will line up with the hinge line on the door thereby locking the throttle in a fixed position. This could be very dangerous both on the ground and in flight. It may be OK on that Fairchild since you would not want to be flying with the wings folded anyway.

Geeez Mike. If the pilot should open that door any time that the engine is running, the hinge on your red/blue bellcrank will line up with the hinge line on the door thereby locking the throttle in a fixed position. This could be very dangerous both on the ground and in flight. It may be OK on that Fairchild since you would not want to be flying with the wings folded anyway.

I don't "think" so..

but have not mocked it up yet....

the drawing must not that clear for what I mean I guess then.....

someday I will mock it up when I get time....

should work fine...

I installed the left hand door on a -18 through STC from Hindall. The STC stated that the left door could not be opened during flight.
Jim

I have flown with the left door open, and can see the point in the STC. You might lose a hand when opening or closing the thing in flight.

I always thought that spiral slip stream was a myth perpetrated by the Zweng private pilot manual I used in 1962. Then I had a Super Cub window implode on a water takeoff, and finally that one flight with the left hand door open - I was the instructor in the back seat, but all I could do was hang on to my headset and hope that I was not going to get blown out of my seatbelt.

oh i see what you misinterpreted on the drawing now... sorry I should have had side view too....

the door hinge pins are on outside of plane.... this interface gadget is on interior side of door... when door opens it slides away from each other, no problems...

OK- so since both throttle handles are in the door that means that there will be no connection at all to the carburetor? Still no control?

OK- so since both throttle handles are in the door that means that there will be no connection at all to the carburetor? Still no control?

sorry no, read the other thread and look at their pictures for context of my comment about that...
one problem with this is no throttle when door open.. might want something up in front of door like you have in throttle cable..

Yup - can do a dual door J-3. And as far as added weight, with our carbon door/window frames that weigh 12 oz, it makes a pretty light set-up.

L16Abe - we'll talk. Should have the hangar up at GFL by September and will have extra room then.

Dave:
The upper window and lower door weights "around" 14#s.
Edit to add---Sounds heavy to me. I'll weight them tomorrow when I get to the hanger.

Yup - can do a dual door J-3. And as far as added weight, with our carbon door/window frames that weigh 12 oz, it makes a pretty light set-up.

L16Abe - we'll talk. Should have the hangar up at GFL by September and will have extra room then.
chris good talking to you thanks for all the info

Back