• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Maine has a new Airport open to the public.

39-J3

FRIEND
Maine
Maine has a new airport for General Aviation. With the closing of the Brunswick Naval Airbase the land was sold off and some of it given back to the state and town. There was some concern as to what was going to happen to the airport and runways. It is good to hear that they are keeping it open to the public. It seems like we are losing more airports and airfield than we are gaining. So Congratulations to the people at the Brunswick Executive Airport and the State Of Maine for making this happen.

Larry
brunswick_landing.jpg

Attachments

• brunswick_landing.jpg
    brunswick_landing.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 156
That's great, does this mean that I don't have to dodge P3's when sneaking up the coast on my way to Rockland.

Glenn

When I used to live in Brunswick you could hear the turbine whine of the P-3s late at night whenever the wind came from the South. Several years later a friend of mine brought a P-3 to visit me for lunch when I worked at an airport in Maine. Neat airplane.

When I used to live in Brunswick you could hear the turbine whine of the P-3s late at night whenever the wind came from the South. Several years later a friend of mine brought a P-3 to visit me for lunch when I worked at an airport in Maine. Neat airplane.

Not when your about a mile off the coast at 200' off the south end of the runway heading east and a P3 fills your windshield going north :yikez: not that I ever saw such a thing :oops:

Glenn

Read about the opening in the Portland paper yesterday ( overnight stay). Our route from Sun n Fun brought us directly over the Brunswick strip this morning. Good to hear of an opening rather than a closing which is the norm now. Congrats.
Ron

I think we should have a cub convoy there. But look at it this way, they OPENED an airport instead of the usual closing of one, even if it's not a cub friendly airport, it's still one being opened. And they just don't know how fun the cubs are, they need to be informed...

What would give you the idea that Cubs wouldn't be welcomed here at BXM? I would love to see dozens of them here for our fly-in on June 4th.

Marty

Marty, I think weather permitting you will have several takers. We're sending some of our contingency down to serve as judges for the airplane events. David I. has told all of us to behave while we are there.

Don't take us too seriously--just joshing Steve L. for his comments that BMX is more than just for "piper cub" landings. We hereby extend an invitation to Steve to go for a Cub ride while we're there.

It's a great facility and we hope to see it get serious about air service development in the near future--we need a Maine International Airport that can sit in the population center and generate the flows needed for further expansion of LCC service, domestic connectivity, international service and a viable cargo service to capture the fish that flow by daily on their way from Canada and Maine to KBOS.

See you in June.

Dave, we're just protecting your stellar reputation...;-)

I don't think anyone has told Cliff yet...:p

Back