View Full Version : Paperwork

03-22-2011, 06:39 PM
Got sidelined form building due to an unexpected medical condition :sad:, no lifting for a while so I figured it would be a good time to get caught up on the paperwork side of the project. A little history; I purchase my kit used (TCOW Widebody) from the originial purchaser. He stored the kit in his shop for 2 1/2 years having never worked on it until I purchased it from him in April of 2010. ( he also never send in paperwork to the FAA) When I purchased it from him he provide me with the originial Aircraft Bill of Sale signed by TCOW and a second Aircraft Bill of Sale from him to me. I have applied for an N number from the FAA and am waiting for my confirmation in the mail.

My interpretation of AC 20-27G:
Once I receive my N number from the FAA I need to send in both Aircraft Bill of Sales, Form 8050-88 Affidavit of Ownership, Form 8050-1 Aircraft registration, and MONEY!

My second question is as Back Country is now an approved kit can I have this kit evaluated under the new rule or do I need to use the old rule?

Thanks in advance,

03-22-2011, 07:04 PM
Eaa has a package with the forms, explanations, timetable etc. They even cover your situation. Common I guess?

$18 or so and some of the forms, although free from the FSDO, need to be original FAA, not copies or downloads like the Bill of Sale. Packet also includes EAA data plate.

I see youve reserved your N-number. Excluding that, the packet mentions the paperwork shuffle starts 90-120 days before first flight.

03-22-2011, 08:04 PM

All is correct. I not sure about getting the kit reinspected for 51 compliance. But the Affidavit that you sign that you built more than 51% for you own education and recreation is all that you need. FYI sending in Bill of sale from TCOW is correct, (plans built no bill of sale required) but beware you will more than likley be contacted by your state to collect sales tax and justify your purchase price. You must have the white card registration in hand prior to inspection by a DAR for certificate of airworthiness..

03-23-2011, 07:45 AM
I just had my TCOW/Backcountry cub inspected and he accepted that it fell under the approved list. Don

Dave Prizio
03-24-2011, 03:13 PM
The DAR you select will be the one who determines compliance. Given that the kit is essentially the same as one that is on the approved list, it shouldn't be any big deal. Even if the DAR doesn't recognize it as an approved kit, it doesn't mean that it isn't eligible for amateur built status. It just means that it is more work to get it signed off.

I suggest that you talk this over with the DAR before you get the paperwork going with him. If he doesn't seem to be helpful, then you might want to go looking for another DAR. Make sure you take lots of pictures, preferrable with you in at least some of them. They mostly just want to be sure you didn't pay someone else to do the work.

Since your kit was started before the new rule went into effect, you can use the old form to determine 51% compliance, if you did not use any commercial assistance. If you did use some commercial help, you will have to use the new form. But either way, if most of the work was done by you or the previous builder, you should be OK.

Dave Prizio