• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

4 Place Exp Cub Progress

J5Ron

GONE WEST
Valdez, Alaska
Just pulled the tapes after adding the color. Starting to look like a plane...Assembly time.
paint..jpgIMG_3059.JPG

Attachments

• paint..jpg
    paint..jpg
    872.4 KB · Views: 376
  • Lang4place.jpg
    Lang4place.jpg
    172 KB · Views: 474
  • IMG_3059.JPG
    IMG_3059.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 543
Looks good Ron. Sullivans or Exp? Will it follow Gary Green's 'metal cub' ?
Dee's been hiding out from the cold down here for a week now. I will hide out up there from the heat in June ;)

Take care, Rob

Tell Dee Hello! It is Exp...used some info from the 2+2...cub tail...jack screw...It has been a blast. Used the Stewarts system.

Ron, you are getting close!!! Will be glad to see you get this one done.

Cool airplane.

Cub wing incidence, purchance??

DAVE

Nothing Special on the Wing Dave...think it is zero incidence like the J-3's...can't remember...that was three years ago...

Ron

Getting closer...finished the gear...rolled it out of the shop this weekend.
IMG_3154.JPGIMG_3155.JPG
Assembled the engine...and I am working on the many little things...
Painted the two side cowl pieces along with the boot cowl...
IMG_3161.JPG
Beginning to have a love hate relationship with Stewarts Paint...I was painting the three pieces together...two sides and the boot cowl...things were going great....nearly time for a beer...was sitting waiting for the next coat...yes watching paint dry...when one side of the boot cowl began to make a few fish eyes...then as time went on...many more...just frustrating...
IMG_3157.JPGIMG_3160.JPG
Will evaluate in the morning...most likely will have to sand back down and redo...the boot cowl was new metal...cleaned and prepped with the stewards Aluminum stuff...primed, then painted...the cowls is old metal...cleaned and prepped the same as the boot cowl...

Despite the minor set-back...I am getting excited to progress on this thing...

Ron

Attachments

• IMG_3154.JPG
    IMG_3154.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 294
  • IMG_3155.JPG
    IMG_3155.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 330
  • IMG_3161.JPG
    IMG_3161.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 279
  • IMG_3160.JPG
    IMG_3160.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 243
  • IMG_3157.JPG
    IMG_3157.JPG
    690.5 KB · Views: 228
Hi Ron,

We're at Oshkosh this week but give me a call anyway and I'll help you figure out the fish-eye's

You can call the 800# and they'll fwd it to my phone

Jason

Sorry to come in late. Is this a side-by-side four-place Super Cub? A buddy is starting such a project.

fisheyes from contaminates on surface, or else they came out of gun/or line.... oily air or?

sometimes water/oily collect in low spot of hose, and then randomly brake free & get shot up line

i have also got that after disassembling gun and using paint stripper to give it a good cleaning(every couple years)... and not shooting a bunch of thinner through it first get any residual stripper out of gun....

oh, another way to get fisheyes ....

on OLD paint that you are repainting over, NEVER scotch bright it or sand it till you have thoroughly cleaned it to pristine condition...

or you will get all the oil or contaminates squishes down into the sanding scratches, and will have a heck of a time fixing it..... I got the T-Shirt!!!!!!

Sanded it down...re-shot the boot cowl...The cowl was new...I am using the Stewarts System Mike...No solvents...usually fish eyes in my limited experience begin to appear right away... In this case I was many coats into this and literally while waiting for my tack time to end the fish eyes appeared before my eyes...Heading out to the shop now to see how it is drying up...hopefully it will be fine...

King Brow...It is closer to a 12 or a 14...

Ron...

Oh the little things...worked on the dash/panel today..
.IMG_3166.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3166.JPG
    IMG_3166.JPG
    1,018.3 KB · Views: 313
It's great to see you making progress Ron - mine is hopelessly stalled for the moment. I'm curious, are you going with a single center stick like Kirk Ellis' or will you have dual controls?

Keep it up - she is really starting to take shape :up :up :up :up :up

Hey Gunny...It will be a center stick...Saw the Hulk coming into Gulkana the other day...very cool plane...

Ron

Looks good but you may want to have your welding helmet handy when the sun hits your "engine turned" panel. How do you get Air in the line on your Wagner?

Ray

Ron

What are u going to hang on the front? What do you think she will weigh.
I am going to be in your state alot of August where might I find you. Would like to look at the plane.

L

Would be great to see you Lloyd...going to hang a wide deck 0-320 on it for now...would like an o-360 someday. We are in the Copper Center Area...next to the Wrangel Mtns. Where will you be? If you are in the area you are welcome to our guest cabin...Are you flying?

Yes Ray...there are NO hoses on that ol Wagner...As far as the glare from that dash...no worries...haven't seen the sun since I left SD...

Ron

Everyday...a little progress...Painted the rudder, flaps and ailerons today. The ailerons were already painted red...but I wanted the bottoms white to match the bottom of the wind...Only thing left to paint is the top of the flaps red.

Todays process: Stewarts Paint
Mixed 9 oz
1st Coat- Lite dust on all pieces...10 min wait- Horizontal coat.
IMG_3175.JPGIMG_3178.JPG
2nd Coat: Same batch of Paint- Horizontal again...lite dusting...10 min wait
IMG_3176.JPG
3rd Coat- Vertical---10 min wait time. ( Very important step...Drink 1 Coors Lite)
IMG_3180.JPG
4th Coat- New batch of Paint...mixed 16 oz. Horizontal coat- 14 min wait time. Looking better every time. Put a bit more material on with this coat. Shop Temp is 75.

5th coat- Vertical-
IMG_3184.JPG

All fabric parts will be painted today...tonight.. Will need to take a break...eat some grub...watch the Henderson Fedor fight the back to work...Progress...

Ron

Attachments

• IMG_3175.JPG
    IMG_3175.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 180
  • IMG_3178.JPG
    IMG_3178.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 171
  • IMG_3176.JPG
    IMG_3176.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 178
  • IMG_3180.JPG
    IMG_3180.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 175
  • IMG_3184.JPG
    IMG_3184.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 169
Well... It has been a while for me... Been very busy with life... My family decide to make a move to Valdez last year...so I spent the summer moving...sure took a while for only a 100 mile move... With the snow finally gone from our yard...the heat sets in... Decide to get back to work on the 4 place....the little things....cables, wires...hanging the wings....flaps....the list goes on...here she sits at the end of today....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 342
Ron, this is great!

I am developing a desire for this airplane. I have been flying a friends -12 this past winter (hey, someone needs to keep it oiled up), and it reminded me that I can haul 2 skiers to the top of the mountains as fast as my buddies in their -18s can do one skier.
...so I was thinking I wish I still had the PA-14. Then I thought.......why not have a true widebody 4 place? A stretch-Pacer or Double-Cubble would do just fine.

Keep up the work. I wanna see this thing fly! It looks great! D

Thanks Folks....been fun...can't wait to fly it.... Dave it is closer in width to the 14 then the Hulk or Producer....

image.jpg
Worked a bit more today....don't like the cowl....think I will redo it...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 416
What advantage do you expect to gain if any over a PA-14 with a 160 or 180. I do realize there e is immence satisfaction in going your own thing though so good on you.

No real advantage....except the exp tag... Yes....wanted to build an exp...already have a supercub...wanted a cub with more seats....

Back