• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Wood aileron finished

Marty57

PATRON
Nipomo, Ca
Tonight I finished up the build of my first wood aileron to go with my wood 2+2 wings. I am very happy with the results. I posted more pictures and info on my blog here at SC. Final weight according to my fish scale is 8 lbs. I suspect that is about the same as a metal aileron. Anybody out there have one they could weigh? Here's some pictures.

finished.jpg

This is the fit at the wing tip bow:

fit 1.jpg

And the fit at the flap:

fit 2.jpg

Hinges are typical Super Cub except they are easily removable with two bolts.

hinge.jpg

It will be interesting to see how this covers and eventually flies. there are no bumps or level changes any where on the aileron; no screw heads, no rivets, etc. I don't know how much of a difference it makes to have this clean of a surface on an aileron but time will tell.

Time to build to this point was about a a month working mostly just the weekends with an hour here and there during the week. I have all the parts cut for the other aileron and flap. The flap for this wing is about 80% finished and hanging on the wing ready for leading edge and 1/16" ply. I guess it's obvious that I like to build with wood.

Marty57

Attachments

• finished.jpg
    finished.jpg
    464.8 KB · Views: 155
  • fit 1.jpg
    fit 1.jpg
    267 KB · Views: 133
  • fit 2.jpg
    fit 2.jpg
    269.2 KB · Views: 134
  • hinge.jpg
    hinge.jpg
    243.7 KB · Views: 125
Thanks for the search Mike; too tired to think about that tonight. I read down and the low was 5.5; high was 9.6 so I feel pretty good in that range with 8.0. any one else care to "weigh in" on this. Sorry; I could not resist ....:oops:
Marty57

My PA-12 aileron, covered and painted with Stewarts System. 7 lb 7 oz on kitchen scales. Weighed it just a moment ago - -

Worst part about building something that looks that good is that you have to cover it up sooner or later....... Nice job!!
John

Beautiful work Marty. As you pointed out no rivet or screw heads to cover. I had a homebuilt biplane with similar construction on the ailerons. Later I covered a set of PA12 ailerons and had all the bumps to look at.

VERY NICE! I LIKE THE MYLAR IDEA.. A CLEAR COVERED AIRPLANE? I HAVE SEEN MANY MODELS AND HAVE ALWAYS WONDERED HOW IT COULD BE DONE FULL SCALE.

:roll:

Thanks guys for the nice comments. My wife keeps asking if it is all going to be covered or not. In the mean time, the aileron will be hanging on the wall inside the house, likely in the living room until I finish the plane. She likes the discussion my airplane parts start. I did have to do some adjustments today at one of the hinge locations. The hinge pin was too close to the wood so I had to remove a couple of inches of the ply and bring it down a bit to make room for covering under the pin; pretty easy in wood, only took about an hour to fix. Finishing the flap will be next.
Marty57

Back