PDA

View Full Version : Some brake info needed

swoeric
03-09-2011, 01:26 PM
So here i am looking to move up from 8.50's to 26 or 29 bushwheels. first got to get rid of the drumbrakes i have.

I can work the equation either way but just need some background

Plane 1500gross 85 hp

i have a few brake parts on hand but need to find the dimensional sizes if possible

Gar Kenyon off a cherokee 180 anybody know where i can find piston diameter possibly stroke length if not i can back it out.

the other question is how much do i need in the way of brakes. does somebody know the required clamping force or clamping area needed for 1500lbs on 29inch tires?

Is there a fast and easy rule of double puck only?
I have a set of double puck brakes from a cessna 210 or a set of single puck off a smaller cessna that are mccauley.

Either way both sets came from heavier aircraft at faster speeds but less leverage from smaller tires.

Steve you mentioned bushwheels on 90hp what size brakes needed there ?

Thank you all
Eric

Steve Pierce
03-09-2011, 01:39 PM
I got a field approval for 29" Alaskan Bushwheel Airstreak tires on a 1500 lb. 90 hp Super Cub. 75-80 pages and 10 hrs. to get a TSO'd tire approved on STC'd Cleveland wheels and brakes. I wouldn't even want to try and do the paperwork on what you want to do. I wanted to choke the inspector already and can't imagine the dumb questions they will ask you.