• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

New guy with clipped wing

Airguy55

Spruce Creek fly in, Daytona FLA
I just found a Clip wing wag areo super sport in a hangar that has been sitting for 10 years. Dream come true.
What a find!! The plane has 200 hrs on it but the engine, the 235c has 1900.
I knew it would be tired but when I flew the plane it wont make rpm even in strait and level.
After checking everything (and hearing the rockers clank) I have come to the conclusion the cam is shot.
two of the valves only half open. Darn!!
The plane is heavy with a generator and large starter, full elecctrical system dual tanks ect. The decision is this, should I lighten up the plane a bit and overhaul the 235 or, install the 150hp o320 that I have taken off my cessna150 float plane?
Will it fit without modifying the cowl? This plane is a show piece and I dont want to
redo any of it. I have heard the 108hp was a bad engine to begin with in these planes.
If I go 150HP, (leaning in this direction) what prop should i put on it, The plane has 600X6 tires and a borer would be way too long.
I had an 85 standard cub and it kicked the heck out of this one.
Any body have any experience with this clipped wing thing??

I had a 85hp J3 clipped-wing and it was a blast - I always wanted more power though, especially on take off with those stubby wings.

You can lighten the 235 with a lw strater and alt, or do the same with the 320 and have one heck of a kick in the pants for a 50 lb penalty. Remove the electric and install an "armstrong" starter if you're inclined and save more weight. Being experimental, there are many options for you.

The 320 should fit unless they made the cowl tight - can't imagine that being a problem other than a baffle change . Go with a lightweight Catto prop.

If you go 150, make sure those wings and fuse will take the weight/speed.

Any pics?

I met a guy in Grahm that has yellow tagged parts for your engine...

Why pull your engine from the float plane? is it still flyable, if so, leave it there!

I bought the float plane and started to redo every part on it, every bolt bushing stol kit, windows ect. The engine had 700 hrs soh but had an exh leak. I pulled the exh, cracked cylinder. Pulled the cylinder, pitted camshaft. I said oh well lets overhaul it, (i am an IA and have built 40 lyc in the last couple years for a flight school) of course I wanted to go 160HP and found out
that it needs longer studs in the case for the cyl hold down plates and this was huge money so I bought a 160 core and overhauled it. I now have the 700 hr 150 HP apart
in the corner of the hangar and can put it back together in a snap with new cylinders cam ect. This plane is built like a tank, called wag they said no problem with the 150.
Is there any downside to the bigger engine? I have people flocking to the hangar looking at this one and they all said what a great plane.
I dont yet see it with this larthargic 235 and dont want to say I should of gone 150 if I reinstall the 108 and it is still iffy powerwise.
I will go grab a pic from the hangar. I still have the cessna 150 in a million parts and sure as heck dont want this cub apart either. i can still fly it
untill i get the 320 done, but sure dont want to find out when i am done that it wont fit!! I know the mechanical fuel pump wont fit with the
mount currently installed.

Bill

I had a Wag Aero Clipped Cub with the O-235 and it was a dog. The 320 will fit, you will have to modify baffles and likely the exhaust but is a much better engine. If you do not have balanced elevators you will want them too. To loop mine it was a 2 handed affair. Do not go with a Borer, the 74-56 wiht the 320 will be a better choice for the speed you need for some acro plus it is lots lighter. If it were me I would get Craig Catto to build me a prop like he does on the carbon cub now.

There is yet another option for these which is what I think is the best flying version. Remove all the electrical stuff, avionics, etc and install a little C90. To me it is the best flying clipped cub out there. It seems that with the lycomings the airframe is not happy with the weight.

It will be very important to keep as much weight off the nose as possible to keep the CG in a place that it does decent acro. Mine had the heavy starter, generator, and metal prop. I think I was 900 pounds empty.

Hope this helps.
Eric

good god my data plane says 966 empty!!! try that with a lets say 80 horse tired 235

Mine is 742 empty with a C-85 and wing tanks. The only time I am looking for more HP is on a hot humid day at Gross weight.

Larry

decision is made 150HP it is. Getting new cam and cylinders overhauled now. will be looking for prop, any thoughts on exh system?
maybee a nice 4to1 would be good. Just what I needed another project.

Engine coming along, dont know about the fuel pump, the exh is in the way and it doesnt have one now with the 235. I installed new bungees yesterday and it sits alot better.
didnt realise how bad the old ones were until I took them off, wow close call!! having cam ground this week, I dont know if I will go standard grind or experimental grind.
I have never done exp one and dont know how much power difference if any there will be. If I go experimental grind the engine wont be certified. I know the plane is experimental but
I like the idea of certified engine and 150 should be way more then enough already. Today i will be removing the Loran from the panel and putting the transponder in its place.
I am also wanting to put the 800X4 tires on, i like that look. I tightened up the tailwheel (SCOTT 3200) but still get BAD shimmy half the time. I wouldnt think after 200 hrs the pin is worn but I guess it might be. Any thoughts on the lightwieght alternator? I dont need much amps, and have seen sooo many different ones out there. Just have to get rid of the 20 amp generator.

Airguy55- Why do you think that you need a fuel pump in a Cub? It may have been required in the 150 floatplane as part of the STC but unless it is fuel injected Cubs don't seem to need fuel pumps.

Airguy55- Why do you think that you need a fuel pump in a Cub? It may have been required in the 150 floatplane as part of the STC but unless it is fuel injected Cubs don't seem to need fuel pumps.

Without a fuel pump the engine will flame out while inverted. 8)

Larry

Check the angle of the tailwheel for the shimmy. I think Steve Pierce wrote an article about this. As for the alternator, check the classifieds in the latest Cub Clues. I think someone was selling a low amperage B&C unit.

Hey Kevin looks like your getting all of our rain, injoy. you need to get up this way and we'll do some flying.

Thats what I was thinking about the pump but it doesnt have one now. Wondering if the 320 with the bigger carb would act differently with required FP at the inlet.
I found the wheel a little loose on the tail, tightened it up it might help.
Waiting to fly and test it out, 2 kids and wifes at work, only 1 extra seat Darn. anyone wanna trade for a pa12?
Also what pressure works best in tail wheel for asphalt?

Last edited:
cub.JPGsorry the hangar is dirty wind blowing leaves in, c150/160hp floatplane awaiting new engine in foreground with new stol kit installed.

Attachments

• cub.JPG
    cub.JPG
    549.5 KB · Views: 188
Hey Kevin looks like your getting all of our rain, injoy. you need to get up this way and we'll do some flying.

DW, I was up at my parents on Camano Island, WA a couple of weeks ago. Took a smoker up one way and my Dad and I were going to fly back down here together but the weather wasn't good. I was thinking of you and would like to stop in if we could have made the flight down since we would have been going right thru your back yard. I ended up coming home on a smoker. I'd love to do some flying up there and see your new bird!:smile: I haven't forgotten about you.

It was gorgeous here today but I can see the front moving in. We are supposed to get rain here tomorrow.

Back