• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

TCM Dual mag

mongo

My O-360 is from a Cardinal and has a 2000 series dual mag which are longer being supported by the manufacture.
On the rear engine case it looks like it has two flanges so I could just go to a standard mag setup?? From what I have been reading though this doesn't seem to be the case, it seems to go to a standard mag, I need to replace the rear cover (Ouch).
For me I think the best option would be to go with a dual Lightspeed cdi system.
Thoughts, opinions.....

Sent from my HTC Evo using Tapatalk

mongo,

just to clarify... are you refering to the "single drive, dual mag" ?

If so I have questions about this also.....

I have an IO-360 A1B6D (200hp angle valve) motor that I plan to put in an aerobatic airplane someday.. It has the mag I'm refering to.

I would like to know if one could, put a different accssory case on the back with the proper gears, etc to make it a "duel mag" setup.

and/or like you mentioned, using some electronic cdi system.

Glad you brought this up.

Kem

Yes, single drive dual mag piece-o-crap.
From what I've read you can replace the rear cover and some other bits but it is very pricey, that is why I am looking at the Lightspeed system. Why spend all of that money to just put another crappy mag on the comes from the factory with an A.D., the Lightspeed is cheaper,lighter and more efficient and in my opinion more reliable.

I have a 0-320 H2AD and I replaced the dual mag with a single mag with out changing the case. Then I added the lightspeed CDI system and can not be happier with the results

I have a 0-320 H2AD and I replaced the dual mag with a single mag with out changing the case. Then I added the lightspeed CDI system and can not be happier with the results

I guess there is that option as well, I didn't realise the Carbon cub has dual Lightspeed systems.

Thanks supersport for this info...

Question for ya, did you just put a single bendix mag in the hole where the old setup came out..?
and did you use the top or bottom plugs for the lightspeed..?
Thanks

All I did was add a single bendix mag with impulse coupler in the hole where the dual set up came off. I put the plugs for the lightspeed in the bottom holes and used car plugs for that application. I was told the lightspeed has a stronger spark than the mag so thats why i chose the lower holes. Also for the cost of those plugs any time they come out they just get replaced with new.

When I was at OSH in 2010 I talked to the P-Mag guys about replacing the duel mag on the H2AD I have in my Cassutt. The P-Mag guys showed me their cool new replacement for the mag. it is half the size of a soda can and has 8 spark plug wires coming out of it. It also has an internal alternator. I think that will be much simpler then the multi- box lightspeed set up.

Creighton King

From Emag site FAQ section
Q: You are showing ignitions for 4 cylinder Lycoming engines, but do you have plans for six cylinder, Continental engines as well?
A: Yes, we will expand the line as rapidly as prudent development allows. Six cylinder, Continental, and even dual magneto versions are planned. Anyone wanting to be updated on a particular type can drop us an email and note your area of interest. That will serve two purposes. The volume of interest helps us decide what new versions to work on first, and also lets us keep those people updated on progress. email to: info@emagair.com

When I was at OSH in 2010 I talked to the P-Mag guys about replacing the duel mag on the H2AD I have in my Cassutt. The P-Mag guys showed me their cool new replacement for the mag. it is half the size of a soda can and has 8 spark plug wires coming out of it. It also has an internal alternator. I think that will be much simpler then the multi- box lightspeed set up.

Creighton King

From Emag site FAQ section
Q: You are showing ignitions for 4 cylinder Lycoming engines, but do you have plans for six cylinder, Continental engines as well?
A: Yes, we will expand the line as rapidly as prudent development allows. Six cylinder, Continental, and even dual magneto versions are planned. Anyone wanting to be updated on a particular type can drop us an email and note your area of interest. That will serve two purposes. The volume of interest helps us decide what new versions to work on first, and also lets us keep those people updated on progress. email to: info@emagair.com

Cool Beans..!! Thanks for the info..!!!!

KS

Yea but when I called them about this several months ago it did not sound promising.

this was an email from them today.

"Hi Creighton:

We are still finishing up the platform for the 200 series. The first to test will be a six cylinder because we can run a single along side a conventional magneto. After that we can build up the dual mag set. So it will be a few months yet before we can ship, but were getting close.

Kindest Regards,

Brad Dement
E-MAG Ignitions
2014 Greg Street, Suite 112
Azle, TX 76020
(817) 444-5310

Last edited:
Cool, I'll have to e-mail them and let them know one more person is interested in the single drive/dual mag setup.

Phil

Emag has been promising that the Dual Mag is just a month or so away for the last 4 years. Good friend with an RV-8 has offered to test fly it on his engine many, many times. They keep promising, but not delivering. He's finally going to give up and use an EFI crank triggered ignition on one side, and attempt to mount a "P-mag" in the single drive hole.

Emag has been promising that the Dual Mag is just a month or so away for the last 4 years. Good friend with an RV-8 has offered to test fly it on his engine many, many times. They keep promising, but not delivering. He's finally going to give up and use an EFI crank triggered ignition on one side, and attempt to mount a "P-mag" in the single drive hole.

Cub Builder,

Has your friend made this change yet?
I'm thinking of using a "converter" to drop from 24v to 12v for the ignition on the EFII system. ( I need 24v for the landing gear)
Kem

No. He hasn't. Sorry, I mis-wrote that. He planned to use a P-mag in the mag hole and a light speed off the crank for the other half of the ignition. But we never got it fitted. He finally coughed up the $$ to have the Bendix dual mag overhauled and put it back on.

Sorry for the misstatement. I must have been interrupted while I was writing the post, then didn't proof read what I had written. :oops:

-CubBuilder

No. He hasn't. Sorry, I mis-wrote that. He planned to use a P-mag in the mag hole and a light speed off the crank for the other half of the ignition. But we never got it fitted. He finally coughed up the $$ to have the Bendix dual mag overhauled and put it back on.

Sorry for the misstatement. I must have been interrupted while I was writing the post, then didn't proof read what I had written. :oops:

-CubBuilder

Hey no problem, you've been a big help already. Thanks for all the info I've been gleening from ya..!
Kem

Back