• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Backcountry/TCOW build

pittsdriver

Here are some pics of my partner and my TCOW Cub. Started it in June 2008 and should have it finished next month. It is a sorta replica RAAF Observer Corps. Had fun building it and it has a few unique features. Had a semi retired machinist make custom throttle knobs with PTT, all other knobs are billet and powder coated, stick grips are leather like a knife grip, the step is also a shovel handle with screw on spade, walnut veneer floorboards, powder coated interior, Searman map case, custom screened instrument faces etc. Has an Aerosport Power O-320 and just using a stock prop. All wiring is tied with waxed cord and held with adel clamps, only around a dozen zip ties in the whole plane. It will get flown into the Idaho backcountry but not in the big rocks.IMG_1191.JPGIMG_1189.JPGIMG_1193.JPGIMG_1194.JPGIMG_1195.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1191.JPG
    IMG_1191.JPG
    195.3 KB · Views: 327
  • IMG_1189.JPG
    IMG_1189.JPG
    149.1 KB · Views: 335
  • IMG_1193.JPG
    IMG_1193.JPG
    156.6 KB · Views: 365
  • IMG_1194.JPG
    IMG_1194.JPG
    180.4 KB · Views: 321
  • IMG_1195.JPG
    IMG_1195.JPG
    131.7 KB · Views: 356
A couple more pics.
IMG_1196.JPGIMG_1199.JPGIMG_1198.JPGEver seen a vertical card compass like this?

Attachments

• IMG_1196.JPG
    IMG_1196.JPG
    210.9 KB · Views: 302
  • IMG_1199.JPG
    IMG_1199.JPG
    210.2 KB · Views: 428
  • IMG_1198.JPG
    IMG_1198.JPG
    149.3 KB · Views: 299
What a great looking Cub. Nice work gentlemen, I hope to see it one day.

Very nice with some interesting features. Great job. Not many 0-320 Smith Cubs.
What was your weight?

Bill

Bill, I haven't weighed it yet. My Aerosport o-320 puts out about 185hp on the dyno. This is not a hardcore backcountry type just a fun playtoy.

That sounds like a strong engine. It would be interesting to hear about what prop you end up using, static RPM, and other data. Congrats and thanks for sharing.

Bill

Here is the engine instalation and a couple more interior shots. Don
IMG_1141.JPGIMG_1142.JPGIMG_1200.JPGIMG_1201.JPGIMG_1205.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1141.JPG
    IMG_1141.JPG
    202.4 KB · Views: 269
  • IMG_1142.JPG
    IMG_1142.JPG
    259.9 KB · Views: 306
  • IMG_1200.JPG
    IMG_1200.JPG
    224.5 KB · Views: 261
  • IMG_1201.JPG
    IMG_1201.JPG
    172.8 KB · Views: 309
  • IMG_1205.JPG
    IMG_1205.JPG
    191.5 KB · Views: 279
IMG_1182.JPGOne thing I fabricated was a fiberglass windshield fairing. The stock cub fairings never fit really well and I couldn't stand the looks of it.
IMG_1180.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1180.JPG
    IMG_1180.JPG
    192.9 KB · Views: 308
  • IMG_1182.JPG
    IMG_1182.JPG
    176.1 KB · Views: 244
Got the wings back today so I'll get the tanks, landing lights and nav lights installed and get them on the airplane. Hope to have it ready for inspection by the end of the month. Here is the nose art that will go on it. Don
IMG_1218.JPGIMG_1219.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1218.JPG
    IMG_1218.JPG
    192.5 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_1219.JPG
    IMG_1219.JPG
    152.6 KB · Views: 193
It sees the light of day. Pulled it up to my friend's hanger to weigh it. Came out 1231lbs.
IMG_1253.JPGIMG_1255.JPGIMG_1254.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1253.JPG
    IMG_1253.JPG
    212.5 KB · Views: 270
  • IMG_1255.JPG
    IMG_1255.JPG
    191.5 KB · Views: 204
  • IMG_1254.JPG
    IMG_1254.JPG
    192.5 KB · Views: 248
pittsdriver,
Lookin good. I too have a Backcountry L-21 in progress. Did you have any trouble bending the top rear plexiglass so that the overhead trim cables did not chafe on it? It appears in looking at mine that this is going to be difficult as it will amount to a compound curve.

pittsdriver,
Lookin good. I too have a Backcountry L-21 in progress. Did you have any trouble bending the top rear plexiglass so that the overhead trim cables did not chafe on it? It appears in looking at mine that this is going to be difficult as it will amount to a compound curve.

Make your windows out of Lexan. I bent the top rear in a brake. Set one end of the brake tight and the other loose and with a little fiddling you can bend it perfect.
Inspection is late next week, I still have a lot of small stuff to do like paint the N number and all of the other military type stenciling. Also have a couple of unit badges and the nose art to do so it will jazz up the Olive Drab a bit. Its been a fun project. don

I understand the bend along the centerline. My question is that when you lay a straight edge between that line and the left side edge where it droops down toward the trailing edge of the wing. This is roughly midway along the panel. When the straight edge passes the trim cables in this area there needs to be a shape change in the glass or the cable will press against the glass. It would be different if it was a straight line along the edge from the leading edge to the trailing edge of the glass. The right side is not a problem.

When you attach it along the sides it will bow enough to clear the trim cables. I have no interference problems with mine. Don

Don, super-nice workmanship!!

How is the boarding step fastened?

How did you arrive at the decision to use Nason as a topcoat?

Let us know how she goes. Particularly what kind of prop (length/pitch/brand) and how the engine pulls it..........i.e. manifold pressure, RPM's, and fuel flow.

Thanks. DAVE

The step is bolted on, however it has a threaded end that a shovel screws onto. Just have to keep a couple wrenches in the jockey box. Also has an ax that goes on the other strut that is also a step to check the fuel. I have some quick release lockpins but I think I'll just use the bolts. My painter chose the paint after some research, not Nasson but the new company that bought R&M. I have a stock 74x56 Sensenich prop on it as this is not a hardcore Cub. Will get in and out of any of the Idaho strips I want to go into and still have a decent cruise. Engine puts out 185 hp on the test stand.

Don, it will be cool to see how that engine does with a 74x56 to absorb 185HP.

My question about the step fastening was motivated by my noticing in the photo that the bolts appear to center in the landing gear tube. I was wondering how you went about that? Sorry to mention the obvious.

I know "Nason" as a PPG brand catalyzed enamel........I don't know "R&M".

Thanks again for your responses. DAVE

....I don't know "R&M".

R&M was carried by NAPA... I did my first three wheeler and car with it....

I remember it as the brand of acrylic lacquer ... my dad used it for 25 years painting all the fishing baits for Radke http://www.radtkespikeminnow.com/ .....(he passed in 2004)

I apologize if any of you got cross eyed baits back in the early 80's.... ;-) my sisters and I loved to help out when we dot the eyes on with a toothpick ;-) ... he would get so mad when we cross eyed them :)

Dave, The gear legs have the seaplane step mounts in them, Finally got ahold of my painter and the paint is Northstar two part polyurethane. Mixed custom semi-gloss colors. It is regular automotive poly with flex agents in it. Same as PPG of any other high end automotive paint.
Prop should be a good compromise between cruise and climb. We'll see after all it is experimental. Don

My question about the step fastening was motivated by my noticing in the photo that the bolts appear to center in the landing gear tube. I was wondering how you went about that? Sorry to mention the obvious.

I know "Nason" as a PPG brand catalyzed enamel........I don't know "R&M".

Thanks again for your responses. DAVE[/QUOTE]

Dave, I have a backcountry also. The gear steps are an option. There are two 5/16" id bushings welded into the center of the front and rear gear legs to bolt on the steps.

Last edited:
Back