• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Identifying my tail spring

Fortysix12

RanchAero Grand Vista, Brooksville
I have a tail spring in my posession, 3 leaf, and I'm wondering if it will work as is on my 18.

It is bent or shaped to have a 49 degree angle. or 131 degree inside arc, either way it's the same. It is also a 1 5/8 inches wide exactly. One other note is that the second spring has the next size hole, .5 inch hole. Any clues.

1.125, 1.5 and 1.75 are all the sizes a tailwheel will accept. Have you ever read any of the articles on what the angle of you tailwheel should be? Kinda hard to figure it out from your description. You give some kind of angle but no length. Most have an arch. You might research the angles and check it yourself.

I can measure the lenght, good point. on a piece of paper the arcs are measured by laying them on their side on a table, marking them with a pencil then measuring the inside and outside arc with an ajustable protractor. I was hoping someone with one off the airplane could do the same I wanted to prep this spring if it usable before taking removing my existing tail spring. Very familiar with camber angles for the tail wheel if that's what you call it.

So if you are familiar with the proper angle what are you asking? Jack your tail up and hold your suspect spring up to what is on your airplane. Are you gonna machine an adapter to fit the tailwheel to an 1.625: spring? Is this experimental? If not why would you put some unidentifiable tail spring on it?

Back