PDA

View Full Version : Shut the bloody window! I'm cold back here and it's messing my hair!

cgoldy
01-16-2011, 04:37 PM
How do you keep cool in the front of a cub? I noticed a thread about different types of windows but the passenger always has a radically different environment in the back to the pilot.

What types of vents do you desert pilots use without getting exhaust gasses, hot air or water in?

irishfield
01-16-2011, 05:16 PM
I like the 3.25" Snap Vents Part # CC-3251's. I install them in most of my customers Rebel side windows. My own I have an air scoop at the wing root and an eyeball vent in the fus root, but the CC-3251's are great for "after thought" installations.

Not sure the rules for certified installs?

Fortysix12
01-16-2011, 05:24 PM
http://javroninc.com/index.cfm/pageid/56

Wag Aero sells them too.

Torch
01-16-2011, 06:41 PM
I don't worry too much about the passenger's comfort. I am the PIC and I keep myself happy first and foremost. If my passengers don't like it they are welcome to exit the TORCH at any time. All my passengers enjoy the ride and never complain, true fact.

Torch
01-16-2011, 06:44 PM
http://javroninc.com/index.cfm/pageid/56

Wag Aero sells them too.

Torch is equipped with one of those. Works gewd.

scubber
01-16-2011, 07:55 PM
Our PA-18 came with one of the above (fortysix 12) on the left-pilot front sm. window. I put one on the right side to blow about center chest. Always thought my comfort comes first. They do bring a lot of air in, and close very well in winter. Glad I didn't pay the going rate. Took mine out of a 182 that went off the end of a neighboring strip (totaled). Larry C.

55-PA18A
01-16-2011, 08:09 PM
Turn the intercom switch to "Off" ??

Jim

Darrel Starr
01-16-2011, 08:57 PM
I saw this set up at Oshkosh in 2005, the first year I think the Cubcrafters Sport Cub was there. The pilots were enthusiastic about the snap vents in the skylight and said they flew through rain without a problem. I've always thought this looked worth trying.
Darrel

irishfield
01-16-2011, 10:12 PM
Those are the CC-3251's I mentioned above Darrel.

When you cut the holes.. be sure to back it up with a length of 2x 6 or similar to get a nice clean/round hole.

StewartB
01-16-2011, 10:25 PM
I have a couple of different vents in each side of the -12 and they work great. The forward vents allow me to direct fresh air on myself and the rear snap vents are usually opened as exhausts rather than intakes.

Bugs66
01-16-2011, 11:46 PM
I have the snapvents ala-Cub Crafters style in my Cub and they work excellent. I did the skylight vent also and no problems with any leaks.

StewartB
01-17-2011, 12:01 AM
A word of warning about Snap Vents. The small ones can not be closed. They are either twisted to intake or exhaust air, but they can't be closed to keep bugs out. That may not be an issue to hangar dudes but it's a big issue to me. The larger Snap Vents can be closed. I bought the small ones first. I never used them. I got the bigger ones and have been pleased with them in the role they serve.

Here's a link to the aluminum vents I used. A little expensive but worth it to me. You rotate the vent to direct the air flow to where you want it. http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/ultimatevent.php

mvivion
01-17-2011, 04:50 PM
I have a couple of different vents in each side of the -12 and they work great. The forward vents allow me to direct fresh air on myself and the rear snap vents are usually opened as exhausts rather than intakes.

Stewart,

Eat a lot of beans prior to flight??? :lol:

MTV

StewartB
01-17-2011, 05:18 PM
Ha! Nope, just a reminder that in order to gain good air flow you need to allow air to escape in order to get fresh air in. Since those vents are all I have for ventilation it was important to maximize their effectiveness. They work very well. Guys with hot interiors would do well to add aft vents to let the cabin breathe.

SB

Darrel Starr
01-17-2011, 07:18 PM
This is the vent I installed in our Super Cub -- kind of expensive but they work really well and close nicely to keep bugs out.
Darrel