• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

is this correct

cgoldy

Moogerah Queensland Australia
These are the Univair parts that were recommended as covers for the aileron pulleys on a pa-18 cockpit floor. Is this correct? They don't look right to me for some reason?

[ U50042-000 ] PIPER HOUSING

Last edited:
That is the correct part . There is always the possibility it won't fit without some trimming. Start bending up some .032 until you have a cover. Or Use cardboard at first. Cut straight flat cardboard pieces ,nothing compound, and tape them in place with masking until you know what the part should look like. Use thin department store type not coregated. Tape it together as you go then copy the peice in sheet metal. Or, do what I did for the FOD cover at the rear stick - cover the cardboard model in epoxy and glass or resin and glass trim it up paint it flat black or cover in the fabric your seat is covered in. Use your imagination and have fun. Sorry about the long response.

Last edited:
Your link did not work. If they are the two covers where the aileron cables exit the fuselage I don't know why they would not fit. Never had to trim or rebend them myself. They are steel and you will be glad they are the first time someone steps on one because the pulley will break easily.

Steve,

Just hit search when the univair page comes up. Took me twice to figure it out. You might be correct as to the fit but I think in my case I wanted a flush against the panel and floor and they didn't quite work. So I made mine out of .032 or 040. Took about an hour by the time I was complete. And plenty strong after the bending. I will say that they don't match,but hey, I'm experimenting. I think it was the 60 bucks after the delivery that also sent to makin them. Making cardboard models is a fun and fast way to custom build any escutcheon, including gas tank covers, FOD protectors for the rear stick or pulley covers.

Back