• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

cowl doors struts

cgoldy

Moogerah Queensland Australia
Has anyone any good ideas for making or buying struts for holding up the cowl doors. Any pictures???

Here's a pic and a brief description. Miks MCS Repairs made what I have so perhaps he'll chime in.

A tube with one flattened end is loosely bolted to the firewall so it can rotate up. There is a spring retainer on the firewall to hold the tube when the cowl is closed. A short piece of smaller diameter tube, again with one end flattened, is attached to the cowl door. When the cowl is opened the longer support tube can be rotated up to capture the short tube on the cowl. The cowl stands open and secure unless the wind is really blowing. Simple and light. Click on the photo to blow it up. I can click it three times and see good detail.

11-13-05 PA-12 first flight 013.jpg

SB

Attachments

• 11-13-05 PA-12 first flight 013.jpg
    11-13-05 PA-12 first flight 013.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 239
Last edited:
Here's a pic and a brief description. Miks MCS Repairs made what I have so perhaps he'll chime in.

SB

Good description.... Hamer and pieces of tube.... Just like -18 only longer....

And don't put the pieces on door too close to hinge or it will be hard to get rod on/off the catch....

I made the exact same thing out of an old aluminum arrow shaft, was working well till hurricane Hugo totaled my Stinson

I like using one of those fabric clamps, the kind with the orange pads for your fingers and orange pads so you dont scratch things and clamp both panels together open.

I use my head . . . works well unless it's gusty :p

If up for an extended period of time, we just clamp the two together (reminds me of when we used to clip our Labrador's ears over his head to see what he'd do . . .)

Back