• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

?? Covers for floor hardware ??

cgoldy

Moogerah Queensland Australia
Where would I get some protective covers for the floor hardware? To cover the aileron and elevator pulleys and also that space around the rear of the torque tube. Or do I need to fabricate something?

I fabricated mine. Both for the aileron pulleys and the front rudder pulley. Within the last month I fabricated a composit FOD escutcheon for the rear stick by first using cardboard and masking tape creating a removable conforming cover than covered the model in epoxy and glass. Then contact cement and left over leather. I made it in two halves. I'm now working on the below the rear seat. You can purchase them from Univair but they won't necessarily fit. Go to Christain Sturms Web site for the drawing on the covers and start from there. Who's top wing pulley covers did you use, I went with Wag Aero's. they very inexpensive.

I used Wag Aero's covers as well. I tried to look them up on univair but didn't know what to call them.

The new Top Cub has some very nicely made covers. Don't know if Cub Crafters will sell them, or for what price. I know they have their seats made locally by a sub.

Create your own!

I had a couple of awkward pulleys that needed covers so I made my own from Kydex. It was fun and easy and I got precisely what I wanted. They look pretty darn good. Look at Mike MCS Repairs' thread about forming Kydex for helpful info and pictures of what's possible. He's demonstrating fabrication techniques that are really impressive. http://www.supercub.org/forum/showt...rming-Interior-Panels&highlight=forming+kydex
IMG_0160.jpg

For the gap in the floor at the rear stick Mike used brush seal from a door or garage door. I posted a link on the other current thread about sealing up a Cub. Install one piece from either side with the bristles overlapping slightly. It seals the gap and allows the controls to operate freely.
http://www.supercub.org/forum/showthread.php?39348-sealing-up-Super-Cub-for-winter

SB

Attachments

• IMG_0160.jpg
    IMG_0160.jpg
    686.8 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:
Atlee Dodge sells a rear stick cover, it fits over the stub, with the rear stick removed....

easiest is kydex... form it by hand into shapes you never could do in aluminum or steel by hand this quickly....

done, no painting.. no fuss.... if it get scratched it same color all the way through....

photo.JPG

photo.JPG

OK well then Kydex it is then. But is that some sort of brand name?? I have never heard of it out here downunder.

I glued fabric scraps over all the holes in the floor. Covers effectively, quick & easy. No junque in belly, no (well, fewer) draft holes too.
Maybe raise some eyebrows @ Oshkosh, but it's practical! :)

Man this site is good. I will have to up my status I think.

Kydex Adelaide
Address: 6 – 8 Pambula Street
Regency Park,
SA 5010, Australia
Phone: +61 8 8444 9666
Fax: +61 8 8444 9600

Just around the corner!

Covers for floor hardware

super cug pics 016.jpgMade mine out of the same material as my floor boards .045 3003 A. very easy to work with and readly available. all that is needed is a couple pair of hand brakes.:)super cug pics 014.jpg
pencil.png

Attachments

• super cug pics 014.jpg
    super cug pics 014.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 115
  • super cug pics 016.jpg
    super cug pics 016.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 112
Last edited:
I bent up some aluminium sheet and riveted it together. A 600# gorilla could step on it.

Attachments

• IMG_1185.JPG
    IMG_1185.JPG
    254.2 KB · Views: 84
I made my pulley covers out of fairly thin mild steel then had them powder coated. I wanted them to take up a little less space than the originals. I first experimented with folding poster board then found the shape I wanted. I cut the flat pattern and bent the two flanges with plenty of access metal first. Then I bent the middle over a fairly large tube, 1 to 11/4 in. diameter. Then I carefully hammered and rounded the end around to finish the part. Last step was to trim the flanges.
Darrel
P6190002.JPG
P6190008.JPG

Attachments

• P6190008.JPG
    P6190008.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 209
  • P6190002.JPG
    P6190002.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 155
Last edited:
Darrel, Will you quit posting pictures of your beater. Makes the rest of us look bad. :)

Nice installation, I like it. ;)

Back