• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Maximum extended hydrasorb length?

Fortysix12

RanchAero Grand Vista, Brooksville
Travel length of the Piper hydrasorb?

Does anybody know the exact maximum extended stock hydrasorb lenght? This measurement could be taken from the shock dampener uninstalled as well. Running some calculations on the landing gear geometry and travel stroke distances as well as what happens to the gear movement when this demension is changed or lengthened. .

Last edited:

You wouldn't have the lenght of the extended dampener would ya there Mike?Got one laying around the shop. Question is how much longer or farther can it travel before a conflict like the one you have just reminded me.

You wouldn't have the lenght of the extended dampener would ya there Mike?Got one laying around the shop. Question is how much longer or farther can it travel before a conflict like the one you have just reminded me.

i don't know, no spares laying around here....

i do know the AOSS is a bit too long, they want you to turn the strut fork bolts upside down with nut on top.... which sucks....

because if you bend a strut in the field, then you must somehow support plane(not by wing if you are trying to remove that bent strut) and get rear gear leg/bolt out of way so strut bolt can be removed to replace lift strut........

Mike that's a very important piece of information. Then what I design should hold the limit to within that point. I don't want to turn my strut bolts around. My new shock dampeing struts will have maximum travel up to that point.

There is an AD or notice somewhere to have the right strut fork bolts. Regular a-n bolts are to long so theres a Piper part numbered bolt that is required to be used. Ive seen a lot of cubs running around with the wrong strut fork bolts.

There is an AD or notice somewhere to have the right strut fork bolts. Regular a-n bolts are to long so theres a Piper part numbered bolt that is required to be used. Ive seen a lot of cubs running around with the wrong strut fork bolts.

And in the 90s they made them too long for a while also.....

So, the maximum extended stroke of a hydrasorb is 5 inches + or -, and any longer may damage some bolts,or not. Cool. Next question is what does that look like when viewing a gear that has almost reached that position. I would suppose the bungees are the limiting factor but if you bottom out a hydrasorb at the 5 inches, then the little quarter inch stread takes the hit and that doesn't seem like a lot to hold that kind of damage.Because I've never heard of the hydrasorb having this kind of damage 5 inches must be more than enought. The one major difference and advantage of the original hydrasorb over the spring gear is the bungees dont' move when airplane is loaded out to 1900 pounds where as the spring gear will move just by pushing up on the strut with my index finger. The main design function should not allow the gear to break under a static load and not compress beyond 5 inches. I would next like to do some pull loads of a stock gear with new bungees and plot it the info on graph beginning with static break load to what the final stretch load is at around 4 inches. Make sense?

Well I just can't get those dirt track race tracks that sail through the air and land flat with out the least bit of bounce. I'm thinking a landing gear dampener should be able to perform like this. Consider rolling the trim forward on final aproach and at two fee above the runway you just let go of the stick, the airplane noses over contacts the runway and pegs a wheels landing hands free, why can't that be achieved. or at least close. AOSS? I think hydraulic/nitrogen is the best approach. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

Steve,

You are most likely correct.

Got have some fun though. There's a lot to know when designing an experimental shock strut. The Spring gear works ok but I want dead. I put the spring gear through it's paces this weekend transitioning a young friend to the taildrag world. It's pretty tough.

just happen to have one sitting here..

picture worth a 1000 words ;-)
click for bigger
IMG_7256.jpg
IMG_7257.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_7256.jpg
    IMG_7256.jpg
    592.6 KB · Views: 218
  • IMG_7257.jpg
    IMG_7257.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 191
Thank you, Mike.
Looks like 5" of rod exposed, so 5" travel. That's assuming the tape measure isn't moved between the two pictures? That would be consistent with the 16 3/4" length for p/n 10566-6 in the other thread I started re the cover length.

Could you please confirm my assumption about the tape measure not being moved between pics?

So this brings up a question I'm having right now. What would be the amount of travel you would want before a safety cable became tight? How much slack should there be, maybe 3-4 inches?

So this brings up a question I'm having right now. What would be the amount of travel you would want before a safety cable became tight? How much slack should there be, maybe 3-4 inches?
I'd think just slightly more than the maximum travel of the primary suspension. So in the case of hydrasorbs 5 1/2" maybe - -

12 Geezer: That does look like 5" exposed however it looks as though the lower part (in the picture) slides over the upper part. Thus there is some travel before the rod starts to be exposed. So the correct answer would be 5" plus the amount of motion before the rod is exposed. Did I say this correctly so that you understand what I mean?

12 Geezer: That does look like 5" exposed however it looks as though the lower part (in the picture) slides over the upper part. Thus there is some travel before the rod starts to be exposed. So the correct answer would be 5" plus the amount of motion before the rod is exposed. Did I say this correctly so that you understand what I mean?

theres a big rubber washer in that space, well or I should say they start off life with it.... if I am reading your post right...

Back