• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Tail ski

cubyguy56

Amboy mn.
Looking for a tail ski or plans to build one for my cub. Got snow up to you know what in southern mn.

Cubyguy56, I bought a tail ski several years ago, used it the first year because I thought I had to have one on the tail wheel...and then learned that not many fellows in these parts use them. Haven't put it back on since (but am holding on to it for unknown sentimental reasons, I guess). I haven't been out during the last few days, though, perhaps I should reconsider putting it on. Wow, these record snowfalls for MN are terrific for ski flying, aren't they!

Randy

WindOnHisNose,I Havent run a tail ski on my cub, but my buddy thinks he needs one on his j-3 so we are looking. I am at work in Prudoe Bay AK. will be home next week. He said they have been geting alot of snow so I thought I might try a tail ski. Can't get home fast enought!!

Guy

Anyone know how to adjust a Burl tail-ski? Just installed it and it's tipped down at the front, so much so the spring bolt is carving a trench pushing it around in the hangar. Thanks in advance!

Glidestone, when we installed ours we had to redrill a hole I think about 1 inch further ahead to get the tip of the ski up. After that It worked perfect. Burls is a great product.

I concur that Burl's tailski is the way to go. Are you sure it is installed correctly on the tailwheel forks? Usually there is enough adjustment in the the threads on the suspension damper to get the angle correct. If you are in deep snow, a tailski is mandatory, especially if you have a load. If you don't have one you will be dragging the tailbace wire through the snow and can tweek them until you get enough airspeed to get the tail up. It is all around easier on the aircraft to have the tailski and you can keep the tail low to let the wings have maximum angle of attack to get you flying out of the deep stuff.

Scooter,

I hear you're going to need a tail ski up at your cabin. Sounds like fun.

SB

Hi Scooter. The AME that installed it the first time was the one that drilled the hole further ahead. He said with the adjustment it was still to flat for his liking. It was flat in the three point, but he wanted a bit of lead on the front to climb up on top of the snow easier. All I can say is it has worked well for 6 seasons now.

Thanks Steve and Scooter. With all this snow my day job got in the way last couple of days, so I haven't been near the aircraft. Bought it used, attached to a 3200. The swivel on the Scott seems proper(perpendicular to the ground), but the ski sure isn't. Will try adjusting spring, but probably I'll end up drilling it.

I made my own tail ski for my J-3, it has worked flawlessly. My tailwheel tire is a solid tire and the way I balanced the ski allows it not to touch asphalt. It really is simple but I did go through a learning curve as I added a counter balance type of cable arrangement to keep the ski from tipping forward. It is all aluminum with brass bushing inserts for the axle. I keep it ontailski0005.jpg the tailwheel all the time, and when ready to change to floats, just drop the whole assembly in a matter of minutes. Wish I could market it.tail ski 011.jpgtail ski 010.jpg

Attachments

• tail ski 011.jpg
    tail ski 011.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 402
  • tail ski 010.jpg
    tail ski 010.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 429
  • tailski0005.jpg
    tailski0005.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 442
Anyone know how to adjust a Burl tail-ski? Just installed it and it's tipped down at the front, so much so the spring bolt is carving a trench pushing it around in the hangar. Thanks in advance!

Check your tail spring.
I experienced this and sent the rigger back to Burl for repair because I was convinced it was not not retracting all the way, he found no problem of course. OK, what changed from last year? It seems the change was in my tail spring. If the spring loses a little arch the the t/w angle will change and tip down a little, with the nose of the ski several inches forward of the t/w this little "tip" will result in the tail ski being closer to parallel with the ground or dragging the nose a little. Re arched the spring, problem solved.

I don't have a ton of experience with ski flying. Spent a few weeks with Paul Claus learning in his Cub and then brought Bushwacker (experimental Maule) back up to Alaska for a month. I also followed part of the Iditarod using a cub I built known as Got Rocks. After my limited experience in pretty much every condition I can think of on skis I am not sure what use a tail ski serves. As soon as you put the power to a cub the tail is flying, Paul Claus does not use one so that is good enough for me. Even in Bushwacker that has a much heavier tail it was never an issue.

Greg

With heavy loads (a heavy tail) a tailski will always help takeoff performance. Cub, 185, Beaver, any plane that power and elevator cannot pick up the tail.

Also, when on narrow ridges, the precise steering available with a good tailski is helpful.(not all tailskis are good fyi)

Blowing the tail around with power, elevator, and rudder is not an option at times.

I don't have a ton of experience with ski flying. Spent a few weeks with Paul Claus learning in his Cub and then brought Bushwacker (experimental Maule) back up to Alaska for a month. I also followed part of the Iditarod using a cub I built known as Got Rocks. After my limited experience in pretty much every condition I can think of on skis I am not sure what use a tail ski serves. As soon as you put the power to a cub the tail is flying, Paul Claus does not use one so that is good enough for me. Even in Bushwacker that has a much heavier tail it was never an issue.

Greg

Hi Greg as a guide with a lot of time hunting bears in April in the Alaska range in DEEP sticky April snow. If you are heavy, snow is sticky, have to make tight turns, in general operate in tough conditions a cub without a tail ski is half a ski plane. Being able to turn or take off from a 3 point without side loading the outside ski at liw speed is the greatest advantage. Helping with shorter takeoffs and more importantly less shovel time with a wingtip on the snow. Try one you will like it.

Two more conditions where tail skis are beneficial. When you wander into overflow and when crossing drifts against the grain from the soft side to the hard side. Both are considerably easier on the airplane with a tail ski installed. Any condition that has you being careful with the mains is easier when you aren't fighting the tail. I can say I've been sorry for not having a ski but I've never been sorry I did. With that I keep putting one on. Some guys can go for years and never need one. Different strokes.

Load up a cub and get in deep snow than try to drag the tail around by hand in waist deep snow you will really like a tail ski. Sometimes in a turn you don't want to use a lot of power or you will skid is another time. Working around a other planes, people, or dogs in tight areas is another time when you don't want to use too much power/speed. It depends on the type of flying you are doing but I have yet to see any downsides to a tail ski.
DENNY

EDIT: If I did not have a tail ski, it would not stop me from flying. I would just be more careful of what I was getting into.

Last edited:
It's good to know why people like them and use them. I was up in March/April the one year with Bushwacker and did play in some pretty deep snow. I got out of the airplane in a few places and went to my waist + in powder but I was usually fairly light on load with the airplane so I probably did not get properly schooled in the real world. As I said my experience is limited and people that operate through the entire season I am sure know better then me.

I am in the crowd who never runs a tail ski. The tail is the first thing out of the snow and the last thing to touch the snow. I also like the braking effect of being able to drag the tail wheel through the snow when I need to stop.

Take care,

Crash

Back