• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Help save a grass strip

Paul Heinrich

PARTNER
Illinois & Wisconsin
There is a 2600 x 100 foot grass strip about 40 miles west of Chicago that is being sold as part of a farm. There is an offer on the table that would result in the strip being plowed over and returned to row crops. The sellers would consider dividing out the strip, but only if it results in a greater return to them on the overall sale.

As is, the strip generates sufficient income to support a $250,000 30 year mortgage at 5-6%. I am willing to take on the ownership responsibilities of the strip to guarantee it stays a grass strip in perpetuity, but I can't get bank financing because of my other current obligations and the credit crunch.

If anyone with the means is interested in buying it, or if anyone has a suggestion about fundraising/financing, please let me know.

Thanks.

Paul:
I don't know if the RAF can help at all but if there is any opportunity for this strip to be a good recreational destination the RAF is a 501 c 3 and "may" have some place in this discussion. We are not in the position to buy it as we don't have those kinds of funds in our checkbook, but if it has recreational opportunities or the pilot community is looking for a way to write off their contribution or maybe the owner would be willing to donate a portion. Just don't know, but did not want to ignore your request. At least we might be able to have a discussion and see what opportunity does or does not exist.
John McKenna
RAF President

John,
Thanks for your reply. I don't know what RAF is or where it is located.

Anyway, the strip for sale is Ramme, 6IL0, in Genoa, Illinois. Since I learned to fly at a grass strip (Cushing Field), I believe it is important to keep as many of them open as possible.

Ramme is a restricted landing area and no commercial operations are allowed there either by the State of Illinois or its current zoning. I think there are around 13 aircraft/ultralights hangared there currently.

If anyone wants to contribute their ideas about how to save the strip, please pm me.

Hi Paul:

For starters the RAF or the Recreational Aviation Foundation or www.theraf.org is an organization that was started by a handful of folks, most likely not unlike yourself. It was started because there appeared to be a need for an organization to see if there were a method to save these kind of places. The RAF was officially incorporated in 2003, but the folks involved have deep roots in backcountry and recreational aviation. The folks here at SuperCub,org have been very supportive of the work that we are trying to do.

You can send me an email at jmckenna@theraf.org and we can continue this discussion if you like.

JOHN

Back