• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Who can install a left side flip up window in a PA-12 in the North East?

SC3CM

My mechanic seems like he could do it if needed, but hasn't done it in the past and I'd rather have someone who has done this in the past tackle it so I can get a good idea of what the project is going to entail before tearing things apart. I'd love to be able to get at least a rough idea of the cost, time and what the finished product is going to look like. Right now there is just a solid window front to back. I'm not in a rush, but would like to get this done in the spring.

Any info would be helpful!

I would call Dan Dufault. I have seen several cubs that he has restored and he does nice work. I do not have his contact information but he is a member on this site or maybe someone else will chime in with his info.
Larry

I am sure there are legal ways to do it, but I would be careful. The Super Cub sliding window is a wonderful thing to have to modulate air flow in the cabin. The swinging left window is either open or closed, unless you install the slider in that.

Open, the left side of the aircraft will admit pretty much the left half of a tornado into your cockpit. I don't know what it does to the front seat, but I can tell you that in the back seat, you have to hold your headset on with both hands. If you are instructing, that is not quite where you want your hands to be. The tornado is that corkscrew that was always theoretical until I actually felt it, and had it tear out a poorly installed new sliding left window.

I have two recommendations if you haven't had luck yet...first is Twitchell's up in Turner, ME...3B5, there's also Leland Aero Services out of Nashua, NH. John seems to have a nice mix of planes in his shop and seems quite capable of handling most anything.

Back