• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Where you put the battery

Skip

Savannah Ga
I am going to do the extended baggage mod to my 12 and was just wondering where those of you who have it put the battery.

Skip said:
I am going to do the extended baggage mod to my 12 and was just wondering where those of you who have it put the battery.

under pilot seat using Atlee's tray(pa-18 seat base too)

I used the Atlee underseat mount in my 18, but several guys here in Dillinghm with 12s have batteries mounted on the inside of the fire wall, between the tubes. Looks like a pretty slick way to do it.

Jim W

I was wondering why do people put the battery under the seat and put a 3 inch forward extended gear? Why not put the battery two feet behind the rear seat??

......Beside the fact having the battery in the baggage compartiment........ And 12' of big wire.........

I am using the long engine mount and was kinda concerned about moving any weight forward

When I removed my stock Cessna battery and cables and added an Odyssey on the firewall my plane lost 17 pounds and the battery performance improved dramatically. When the topic of the -12's battery came up there was never any question that it would be an Odyssey and the easiest install was Atlee's under pilot seat tray. Low total weight, great performance, easy access. Toss some survival gear in the back if you need ballast. Don't bolt a battery back there.

SB

Thanks Stewart I didn`t want to put it back there if I could get around it did you just mount yours at the firewall between the pedals.

I have a Supercub seat so I used Atlee's STC'd tray with a deviation. I've seen a couple on the inside of the firewall. If it doesn't interfere with the defroster that would be a good spot. I went the easy way with available parts.

SB

We have a box approved for the PA-18/19, which you can see here: http://www.dakotacub.com/images/battery box - new products.pdf

Offhand, I do not know if anyone has tried to get it field-approved but I will check around. On a PA-18 it does require the DCA boot cowl due to some attachment methods. I will find out because now I am curious and can't remember :nutz:

I do know we were not allowed to use the under-seat location when certifying the Super 18. The rationale behind this is 1) hazardous materials inside the cockpit in the event of a crash and 2) a heavy potential projectile behind you in the event of a crash.

Either way, good luck 8)

Edit: With the new batteries and the loss of weight in heavy cable, mounting the battery forward can save you 15 lbs! Woohoo! :up

Pictures here: http://dakotacub.wordpress.com/2010/10/03/stc-showcase-boot-cowl-battery-box/

Skip,

You can't mount the battery under the front seat if you keep the bungee truss. The guys running their battereys under the front seat have -18 gear underneath it, have the bungee truss removed and have an -18 front seat installed. If I was to do it over again, I would install the batterey and solenoids on the firewall inside the engine compartment. If you do this, you will need to use the Sutton exhaust. This exhaust will really open up the back of the engine. This is the easiest way to install a battery utilizing an Odysey PC680 battery in a -12.

Kevin

Amy said:
I do know we were not allowed to use the under-seat location when certifying the Super 18. The rationale behind this is 1) hazardous materials inside the cockpit in the event of a crash and 2) a heavy potential projectile behind you in the event of a crash.

Amy,

That's interesting. The Odyssey battery is not considered Haz Mat by the Postal Service or the airlines. So, the FAA considers it HazMat??

Well, I guess that would make it consistent with a lot of other FAA certification directives.... :crazyeyes:

MTV

mvivion said:
Amy said:

Amy,

That's interesting. The Odyssey battery is not considered Haz Mat by the Postal Service or the airlines. So, the FAA considers it HazMat??

Well, I guess that would make it consistent with a lot of other FAA certification directives.... :crazyeyes:

MTV

I don't make the rules :roll:

Maybe the exact wording had to do with something flammable? I remember they said "no" to the under-seat option and one reason for sure had to do with the heavy projectile argument (fair) and one had to do with having a battery inside the cockpit. I will confirm. 8)

I would much rather have it under my seat than behind me at head level where piper had it. As it is now it is aimed directly at my cranium and one sudden stop and it is curtains for me.

Yep. A battery securely installed in a fixture attached to the underside of the stationary pilot's seat base makes perfect sense to me. If there had been room of the engine side of the firewall I would have liked that even better. I'm curious about the installation on the cabin side of the firewall. Maybe somebody will post some pictures? As I recall the -12 that Bearsnack and Redbaron fly has the battery there. I don't remember it very well, though.

To be fair to Amy, I understand that Dakota Cub was held to a higher certification standard than our antique Cubs were. My comments were not meant to criticize Dakota Cub in any way, shape, or form or to oppose your comments. I appreciate your participation.

SB

I`m with you Stewart I would like mine on the cockpit side of the firewall if I can get it there.

StewartB said:
Yep. A battery securely installed in a fixture attached to the underside of the stationary pilot's seat base makes perfect sense to me. If there had been room of the engine side of the firewall I would have liked that even better. I'm curious about the installation on the cabin side of the firewall. Maybe somebody will post some pictures? As I recall the -12 that Bearsnack and Redbaron fly has the battery there. I don't remember it very well, though.

To be fair to Amy, I understand that Dakota Cub was held to a higher certification standard than our antique Cubs were. My comments were not meant to criticize Dakota Cub in any way, shape, or form or to oppose your comments. I appreciate your participation.

SB

I must have missed all the good comments! ;)

It is a part 23 thing. We had originally planned to have the battery under the seat but evidently that is not kosher per the FAA. Is it necessary to move it where we did? In most operations, probably not. The underseat installation has worked for years without problems and is not as labor-intensive to install as the boot cowl location. I am by no means on par with most of this crowd in terms of experience so take my comments with a grain of salt :)

I was mistaken in saying the DCA boot cowl is required-oops :crazyeyes:

You could probably get it field approved if you want to go that route-you would be the first to do so. Shouldn't be too different than a PA-18 installation but it does require extra dealings with the Friendly Aviation Administration :p

I put mine under the rear seat, because under the stock PA-12 front seat just wasn't practical.

43.13 requires proof-loading of the mount to 18 g's fore and aft for a massive object in the cockpit. For the Oddysey battery that is just over 300lb (I forget the lateral and vertical requirements). I proof tested my mounting to 500 lb and it was fairly easily field approved.

This whole discussion is in the Experimental section. If it is experimental you can put it any place you want. I have mine under the seat with a copy of the Atlee tray. Don

StewartB said:

SB

Stewart

My Smith Cub has the battery mounted on the cabin side of the firewall. I had to move it from under the front seat (Atlee) because the A/P roll servo is mounted there.

It is an Odyssey and is hinged like the Legend Cub's. Very short run to the starter...lots of cranking amps!

I will look for a picture.

Lou

I just uploaded a picture of the battery mount I copied. Can't seem to find an actual picture of mine. I will take one tomorrow.....if I remember!

Lou

I have seen two different 18's that have the batt. mounted on the right side of the boot cowl like Dakota STC. They were field approved.
I talked to my PMI and asked him if he would entertain field approving one there and he said he would. I'm still debating on location.

FdxLou said:
I just uploaded a picture of the battery mount I copied. Can't seem to find an actual picture of mine. I will take one tomorrow.....if I remember!

Lou
Lou, interesting installation... bet that was a fun. So, where does one find a good A&P rated dwarf these days or did you go with the Chinese acrobats between tour stops?

Kirby

Kirby

Once the seat and stick are removed it's not too bad. Had to remove my LEES muffler to mount the nut plates for the tray. I made it from SS. Tray hinges fwd to slide bat out.

Going to take a picture of mine now. Look for it soon.

Lou

Did you use any doublers to reinforce the firewall where the tray is mounted?

I have been thinking of putting my Odyssey on the firewall but worry about it being too flimsy and not designed to support any weight, at least not the weight of a sealed battery. Heck, last I heard the FAA wants at least 1/2" 5 ply hardwood to mount it in the back. That thin firewall is just and only designed as that: a "fire" wall.

I know we are talking experimental here, but . . .

Back