• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Wolf Pelt

ag-pilot

SPONSOR
Mt.
I have a friend that wants to buy a nice pale tanned wolf pelt for his wife for Christmas. Anyone have one or know where to buy one?

Dave

Call Gus @ Alaska Fur Exchange/ 907-563-3788. He can fix you up with exactly what you want at a fair price. Greg

one just showed on craigslist...

http://anchorage.craigslist.org/mat/2078348472.html

3k83md3p65V35T65U5abo9dc8a7e2ac931c1b.jpg

I managed to get a blue wolf last winter, what a beautiful creature. My uncle who is my taxidermist said in all his years he has never seen a blue wolf. I didn't realize they were that rare... i'll post pictures when i get the rug back.

BC trapper friend of mine caught a blue Lynx some years back. VERY RARE!! As far as I know he still has it. Turned down $2500 US from another friend of mine.
Mike

I ran into one down by Black Rapids a few years ago. Very nice looking animal, not sure what the value would be on them.

Caught a weasel last winter that was slightly flourescent green.
I've seen them yellow (from urine) but this guy looked like he just came from a gay parade!

Neighbor lady (internet addict) looked/posted around but came up with nothing definitive. Just strange.

Coyote checking out the muskrat houses in front here this morn.
Then went up the creek without a paddle!

they'ed like to get rid of some here..

http://www.adn.com/2010/12/07/1593046/brazen-hungry-wolves-spark-fear.html
Hungry wolves spark fear in Southwest Alaska village

ACTION: Town wants Fish and Game to allow hunts from the air.
By MARY PEMBERTON
The Associated Press
Published: December 8th, 2010 01:22 PM
Last Modified: December 8th, 2010 01:22 PM
Mayor Scott Anderson doesn't travel around his small town of Port Heiden unarmed. Neither do his neighbors.

That's because hungry wolves have been wandering into town in search of food, sneaking into yards and snatching dogs and cats.
More evidence of that was found Tuesday morning. A pool of blood was discovered on a village road, and Anderson said you could see where wolves dragged the animal away.
Another dog had been killed.
It is hunger that is bringing the wolves to this town of about 100 people. While wolves have sneaked into Port Heiden for food before, it is usually just one or two of the animals, and they arrive at night.
This is different. These wolves are bold and hard to scare off. Sometimes they just sit and stare.
Now, the wolves are showing up during the day.
ADVERTISEMENT

The wolves could be descending on Port Heiden for several reasons. Perhaps it's because the dwindling number of caribou in the area tend to gather near the town to find protection from predators. It could be because now that the bears are gone, wolves are feeding on the carcasses of walrus and other marine mammals that wash ashore near Port Heiden. At least three packs of wolves have been bothering the town. The largest pack is made up of about 20 animals; the others have between seven and 15 wolves.
Immediate action needs to be taken, Anderson said. The town about 425 miles southwest of Anchorage wants the Alaska Department of Fish and Game to allow aircraft to be used to track and kill the aggressive wolves.
A Fish and Game area biologist held a town meeting in Port Heiden on Monday.
"The strange thing is the number of wolves they are reporting," said region supervisor Bruce Dale. He said Fish and Game is coming up with an action plan.
In the meantime, everyone in Port Heiden is armed. The mayor travels the town on a four-wheeler with a rifle strapped on the back.
"You won't see anybody walking around without a gun around here," said lifelong Port Heiden resident James Christensen, 45. "You could open any car door in this town and you will see a rifle sitting on the seat."
Wolves coming into Port Heiden have residents thinking about what occurred in the village of Chignik Lake last March: A teacher out jogging was killed by two hungry wolves.
Port Heiden residents in recent weeks have killed about six wolves, and they were skinny animals with sucked-in stomachs, Christensen said.
He said his dogs were barking Monday night so looked outside his house and found one of his dogs cowering in the corner of the door, wanting in.
There were wolf tracks all around his home in the new snow, he said.
"They came about 15 feet from the front door and then they went all around the outbuildings outside the house," Christensen said.
He said the wolves are visiting just about every house in Port Heiden.
"I guess mainly they must be looking for dogs because they have eaten quite a few already," Christensen said. "They got my friend's dog here a couple of days ago. They dragged him right out from underneath his porch."

http://www.adn.com/2010/12/07/1593046/brazen-hungry-wolves-spark-fear.html#ixzz17a7zzh00

State sends hunters after aggressive southwest wolves

By MARY PEMBERTON
The Associated Press
Published: December 8th, 2010 05:29 PM
Last Modified: December 8th, 2010 05:52 PM
State officials have approved a plan for the aerial shooting of wolves that have killed pets and scared residents in and near Port Heiden.
Click to enlarge

The plan was approved after the Alaska Peninsula community appealed to the state for help with three wolf packs that have been killing pets and are becoming increasingly bold around humans. The wolves pose a threat to the town, public safety and wildlife officials said.
The wolf-killing operation was to begin immediately. Pilots under contract with the agencies were already in Port Heiden, trooper spokeswoman Megan Peters said today.
The hungry wolves have killed five dogs and two cats, including two dogs recently. While they mostly come into town at night, the wolves also have been seen during the day.
Port Heiden Mayor Scott Anderson said he welcomed the help: "We sure don't want to lose nobody," he said.
He also said the village doesn't want to lose any more pets.
Department of Public Safety Commissioner Joseph Masters said the wolves would be killed as quickly as possible in a coordinated effort. The plan was to back-trail wolf tracks to locate the animals that have been involved in incidents in the village.
The operation will involve fixed-wing aircraft and pilots under contract with the two agencies, said Bruce Dale, the Department of Fish and Game's area supervisor. He said shooters most likely will be department employees.
The exact number of wolves involved in the attacks on dogs and cats in the town was not known, but residents have reported three packs with anywhere from seven to 20 animals.
"The frequency, aggressive nature, and number of wolves involved in the attacks is unacceptable from a public safety standpoint," said Lem Butler, Fish and Game's area biologist in King Salmon.
ADVERTISEMENT

Butler flew to the community on Monday afternoon to gather information on the wolf attacks. Residents say wolves have come into Port Heiden before looking for food, but not in these numbers. They report that the half dozen wolves killed in recent months by residents are skinny.
The situation has residents scared and thinking about what occurred in the village of Chignik Lake, another Alaska Peninsula town, last March: A teacher out jogging was killed by two hungry wolves.
Dale said the Port Heiden situation was serious.
"We will take out any wolves we can link to incidents in the village," he said.

http://www.adn.com/2010/12/08/1594715/aggressive-wolves-in-southwest.html#ixzz17a8H5Juh

Typical government,,, they could save a WHOLE bunch of money if they would just post on here they need some wolves taken care of... Just think how much it would help out the local economy, fuel, food, AK Bush Co. , Fur sales,,, They just dont get it...8) :p

19 down

http://www.ktuu.com/news/ktuu-residents-take-wolves-on-their-120910,0,556638.story

State kills 12 wolves near Port Heiden

Aggressive wolves have killed six dogs

by Jackie Bartz Channel 2 News 8:56 a.m. AKST, December 10, 2010

PORT HEIDEN, Alaska —
A day after Port Heiden residents were able to kill one more aggressive wolf, bringing their tally to seven, the state was able to kill 12 from the air Thursday, hoping to alleviate the town's problems with the aggressive animals.
Port Heiden residents woke up Thursday to wolf tracks in backyards, while a plane from the state flew overhead to spot them. The Alaska Department of Fish and Game is working with troopers to kill aggressive wolves that have killed several pets in the area.
The state flew over the village looking for any signs of wolf packs, but residents say they aren't waiting around for outside help.
The town is quiet – too quiet. Dogs are locked inside and children stay behind windows. The only thing that brought people outside was the roar of a snowmachine after a successful hunt.
“On the way home we happened to get it,” said James Chrestensen.
His hunting partner shot the wolf Wednesday evening.
“The kids shot at it over there and missed it so we took the snowmachines and chased it, tracked it down and got it over here a little ways,” Chrestensen said.
Village residents call it retribution. “At least we’re getting less of them,” Chrestensen said.
Wolves have killed six dogs – a daschund puppy on a walk with its owners and a pregnant female drug off the porch and killed by a pack of six in front of its owners among them.
“Scared all the time, scared that it’s going to be a kid or it’s going to be an adult that gets attacked next,” Bob Chrestensen said.
Residents patrol the streets day and night, hoping to hear a howl, spot a track, or catch a flash of green eyes.
Many days go without gun shots, but the guns are there, ready to protect the town.
The State plans to use fixed-wing aircraft and helicopters to shoot the wolves from the air.

Copyright © 2010, KTUU-TV

Back