• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Fire!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cgoldy

Moogerah Queensland Australia
Coming from a very dry country (not like your Alaska) I am just wondering about the fire risk from the exhaust in long grass. Has anyone experienced or know of fires started from planes exhaust???? If so, are there any precautions???

CGoldy

fire

South Eastern Montana can be very dry also. Car exhaust will start fires here if you park in tall grass but I have never worried much about my Cub starting one or heard of it happening. Here tall grass is knee high so the exhaust is a long way from it with a cub exhaust.

Dave

I've noticed that a lot of Cub pilots pee just in front of the right tire before taking off, is that for fire prevention :roll: :D

Glenn

nope, thats because with age and no control over that bladder there trying to get every last second out of lastability.

I think the auto exhaust caused fires are actually caused by the catalytic converter coming into contact with the dry grass. Catalytic converters get really hot during operation. jrh

Well, if you have a Wilga they put up quite a flame when starting up.
I know someone who had a Wilga with the old radial engine and when her
husband started it she had to wait outside to put out the grass fire.

A fire was started with a robertson on the Tanana flats when they where putting in the Intertie.

Back