PDA

View Full Version : Brake sizing

swoeric
10-18-2010, 09:39 PM
I am looking to go to some of the lighter weight 29" bushwheels my plane is near 900lbs 1500 gross but rarely that heavy. currently have shinn brakes and they will lock up on concrete with 8.50-6's and easily hold my motor on run up.(yes they do need occasional adjustment) my question is how severe of brakes do i need when i go to larger tires (single puck? double?) do i actually need disc or just be well adjusted?

also are there any reinforcements that would be suggested for the tcraft gear

thank you

Fortysix12
10-20-2010, 07:44 AM
In my opinion, single pucks with boosters will allow you to stop in the space you dare take off in.

Steve Pierce
10-20-2010, 05:49 PM
I have never tried single pucks on 29" Bushwheels but they haven't worked for me on 31s. I would check the STC and see if they require Cleveland brakes.

You need to talk to Jason Gerard about Tcarts. He had one on 26" Bushwheels.

skywagon8a
10-21-2010, 07:39 AM
The increased diameter of the 29" bushwheels has more mechanical advantage. As you increase the diameter of the tires you will need more braking power to resist the force that the tire exerts on the brake. Since the shin wheels are 6" go ahead and try the big tires. Just keep in mind that you may need to spend more money on a double puck brake with a high pressure master cylinder. A good condition Shin brake MAY be good enough for your use. In my opinion it will be marginal.