PDA

View Full Version : Tubing for stringers?

SkwentnaMan
10-09-2010, 01:25 PM
Hey all,

I'm building and exp. Pa-14. For the stringers I was thinking of welding tubing to the archers and frame. I saw a Dakota Pa-12 Fuselage done like this.
Question is - What tubing/thickness should be used. And are there any disadvantages in doing it this way? Might add a little weight but seems like a easier and stronger installation.

Thanks for any advice.

mike mcs repair
10-09-2010, 02:02 PM
That's one part of the gross weight increase stuff talk to Charlie center at crosswinds for blue prints and stc...

StewartB
10-09-2010, 02:05 PM
Per my Crosswinds gross weight STC those tubes are 1/2" x .028.

SB

Steve Pierce
10-09-2010, 09:30 PM
Do the tubing as stringers real strengthen the fuselage. I like the aluminum stringers myself. if hit the bounce back where as a tube willkink. Same reason I like ash wing tip bows over the conduit I have seen people use.

bob turner
10-10-2010, 02:08 AM
My stringers are Douglas Fir - put them on in 1968, and varnish them at subsequent cover jobs. Still straight as an arrow.

mike mcs repair
10-10-2010, 08:17 AM
Do the tubing as stringers real strengthen the fuselage. I like the aluminum stringers myself. if hit the bounce back where as a tube willkink. Same reason I like ash wing tip bows over the conduit I have seen people use.

well............it comes with a piece of Paper that says you can legally haul more :-)

thats only one small part of the mod... bunch more tubes & plates get welded in for that STC...

Gordon Misch
10-10-2010, 09:22 AM

well............it comes with a piece of Paper that says you can legally haul more :-)

thats only one small part of the mod... bunch more tubes & plates get welded in for that STC...

Heh, yeah LOTS more. I haven't done it, but have seen it. Those lightweight channels that hold the formers on the top of the rear fuselage (is that what they call 'turtle-deck'?) are removed and replaced with tubes that are structural. The new top longitudinal tubes then also function as formers. I don't think the side and bottom formers are changed to tubing though??