• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

SuperSport Special Rebuilt

Olibuilt

Montreal, Canada
I bought the plane 7 months ago. It originaly ad a o-235 in it. I came across a o-360 fwf so the tired little 0-235 came out. The plane is now in my garage in pieces.

Work to do:
-Sky light
-Bigger gas tank
-6'' landing gear and safety cable
-31'' BushWheel
-Install brake system
-maybe a removable third seat
-remove junk to spare some weight
-new instrument panel with artificial horizon and turn coordinator
-VG's
-flaps

when I bought it:

DSC00521.jpg

New firerwall foward and 6'' landing gear with cables

IMG_0483.jpg

Skylight progress... Looks like a jail. Need to remove all old tabs and tubes not needed.

IMG_0477.jpg

The real job are the wings...

I'm new to airplane and it's my first one. I wonder what to do. The ailerons are 102'' long. Only 63'' left for the flaps. The goal is to fly as slow as possible.

Need some recommandation for the built
-Flaps size?
-cut the ailerons 12'' for more flap surface?
-connect ailerons with flaps?

really need some advices PLEASE

IMG_0487.jpg

flaps

Oli why not get a set of slats from back country super cubs ?

Did some research. I think I will go with 90'' ailerons, with 75'' flaps 4'' extended cord, with a droop aileron kit with VG's.

I don't know about slats. How much and PITA to install??

If you are going thru all of that work, you might as well add the leading edge slats

The thing is I think flaps are a priority. On floats with no flaps with my wing setup, the takeoff speed was about 42mph... Never tried on wheels or skyys.

Who make the best affordable leading edge slat kit? But adding another 20 pounds or more??

Any buildup pics of slats on wings?

What about a droop aileron kit?

Will start with adding flaps first. With all the mods, budget start to by tight for slats. Next year or two for the slats.

But what about flaps size?

Do I keep my aileron at 102'' or I cut them 12'' to have longer flaps?

What about the flaps cord lenght? Same as aileron or longer?
Drooped_Aileron.jpg

Olibuilt said:
Will start with adding flaps first. With all the mods, budget start to by tight for slats. Next year or two for the slats.

But what about flaps size?

Do I keep my aileron at 102'' or I cut them 12'' to have longer flaps?

What about the flaps cord lenght? Same as aileron or longer?
Drooped_Aileron.jpg

Unless you have either time to fabricate the flaps and ailerons...or pay somebody to do it I would use as many stock components as possible. If you use stock parts and you ding something up that needs fixed you can just replace the part rather than fabricating something.

Tim

Thanks for the tip. But I won't fabricate ailerons, I keep the ones I already have on the wing. Maybe just cut them 12'' to the third hinge. If you guys think it wort it.

This is what 25 pounds of crap looks like out the airplane.
DSC01045.jpg

Looking for a close up pic of extended rear windows and extented skylight.

Had fun with sicors and paper for template. First time for me on an airplane.....

DSC01052.jpg

Found a piece of platic and tried a real template for actual fitting in the plane. Needs some small modifications but pretty happy with the result.

DSC01051.jpg

Installed the Bushwheels and calipers. It looks a little tight to me. The used bushwheels have a wear mark of the caliper rubbing.

Should I use a spacer or this is normal??
DSC01058.jpg

Been working on the extended windows and skylight too. A lot of work for windows....

DSC01055-1.jpg

Oli, i see you have a brass automotive fitting on your brake calipers. Autos and airplane fittings use different degree flares, my thinking is make sure and try to keep them all the same. I think either 37 degree flare or 45.

Thanks for the info.

Been working on the project. Small garage to work on a plane. At least I'm not outside in the freezing wheater....

I finaly decided to keep the 102'' ailerons and fill the rest with flaps.

Now the wings are almost ready. 2 x 28 g fuel tank, flaps, and reskin. With the cold wheater coming fast here, I decided to put one wing at the time to fabicate fairings, pulleys and all the finition before painting.

Long way to go but I'm starting to see the end.

DSC01090.jpg

DSC01099.jpg

DSC01105.jpg

DSC01104.jpg
[/list][/list]

Been busy working on the project.

Installed the plexis, brake, dash, skis...

Nothing new for you guys but just want to share because you all been a great source of information for me.

Everything is ready to go back together. Just waiting a hangar place to reassemble.

DSC01197.jpg

DSC01198.jpg

DSC01202.jpg

DSC01204.jpg

Nice job! Was that a PA-11 or Wag Aero? I notice your cowl cheeks are a lot wider looking from behind than I have seen. Could be you have narrow firewall aka PA-11 or Wag.

Found a hangar space

Time to put her back together

DSC01214.jpg

DSC01222.jpg

Attachments

• DSC01214.jpg
    DSC01214.jpg
    236.9 KB · Views: 254
  • DSC01222.jpg
    DSC01222.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 189
The plane is a Wagaero Super Sport on the papers but the fuselage is built as a Pa-18. I don't know for cowl check, maybe the boot cowl is a little different. The stock baffles (was on a Pa-18 with same cowling) fits perfect on both sides. But the rear baffle had to be higher.

I don't know what is a Bob tailwheel. Mine is a 10 inch experimental built here in Montreal.

Been installing the flaps. My setup is giving me 60 degree of flaps. Need to see were to stop theme.
DSC01238.jpg

DSC01240.jpg

Attachments

• DSC01238.jpg
    DSC01238.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 627
  • DSC01240.jpg
    DSC01240.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 567
Last edited:
The plane is now completed. Really happy with the result. Flaps are really helping for short takeoff. The plane handle real well with 60 degree of flaps. She stand perfect on skis with the 6'' extended landing gear.

Beiing a new pilot, just need to practice to get used with the new controls and speed.

But now I know my plane from the inside out and I trust it.

A short clip fling on skis:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSyKBvMCMsk

Thanks again for the infos.

DSC01248.jpgDSC01262.jpgDSC01269.jpg
pencil.png

Attachments

• DSC01248.jpg
    DSC01248.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 505
  • DSC01262.jpg
    DSC01262.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 488