• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

warp propeller?

cubyguy56

Amboy mn.
Anybody out there have any luck with a warp propeller? I am thinking about trying on my cubby o290d2.Looking for some input!

Just recently installed a warp prop on my Wag Aero sports trainer with a 0290 d 2. So far so good. Prop is 72" 3 blade. Increased climb on average 300+ft per minute and reduced take off considerably.

Put a 72" 3-blade on my 0-290D2. Loved the performance and light weight, but at around 150 HRS, 1 blade cracked at the hub. Called the factory, to be told that I should have had a 12 LB harmonic dampener on as well. He said the prop couldn't handle the engine pulses at low RPM. Sent the prop in, and they replaced the cracked blade and checked the hub and other 2 blades for free(I had to pay shipping). Put the prop back on, got about 5 HRS, and all 3 blades cracked at the hub. It's hanging on the wall now. Lifetime guarantee of satisfaction, but why bother to call, to be told it's my fault? Call them though, to see if they're forthcoming about this problem, as I know others with the same experience. Now You've got me thinking about this, i'm gonna weigh each blade individually. Maybe they got the replacement blade weight wrong, to have all 3 fail that fast.

Thanks guys I think I will will think about this for a while! I might have to save some money and go see Jim Drumeter and spring for a sensenich wood 80x40 or 80x38 borer.

Give Craig Cato a try with his composite propeller. The weight for an 82" with backer & crush plates is only 19.5#. Super guy to deal with just awfully busy. 209-754-3553

Glidestone said:
Put a 72" 3-blade on my 0-290D2. Loved the performance and light weight, but at around 150 HRS, 1 blade cracked at the hub. Called the factory, to be told that I should have had a 12 LB harmonic dampener on as well. He said the prop couldn't handle the engine pulses at low RPM. Sent the prop in, and they replaced the cracked blade and checked the hub and other 2 blades for free(I had to pay shipping). Put the prop back on, got about 5 HRS, and all 3 blades cracked at the hub. It's hanging on the wall now. Lifetime guarantee of satisfaction, but why bother to call, to be told it's my fault? Call them though, to see if they're forthcoming about this problem, as I know others with the same experience. Now You've got me thinking about this, i'm gonna weigh each blade individually. Maybe they got the replacement blade weight wrong, to have all 3 fail that fast.

I've posted on this before, but in the LSA/Rotax 912 world, Warp is bulletproof. THe ONLY way I have taken one out was to stand the plane on its nose, that did it. :eek:

Gravel/sand/rock bars didn't faze it, tall grass? Hell, didn't even turn it green it cut it so smooth. I have ZERO experience with them on real aircraft engines, but just wanted to kind of stick up for the company, maybe they should stick to 912s?? I do know of one guy with a lot of time on a experimental Cub with an 0-200 who loves his Warp, and it pisses him off as he hoped the pretty wood prop he had earlier would perform better, the Warp isn't pretty, it is butt ugly but they sure work well on the right airframe/powerplant combo.

What the heck: here is a shot of (part of) my wall of shame, you can see the Warp still pretty much looks like a prop, even after the nose stand at about 15 mph and 1500 rpm. The Warp is the black 3-blader BTW.

DSC_0368.jpg

Glidestone, I hope you determine what caused your latest problem.

What is the total weight of the prop/dampener?

Have you guys run a "Borer" on your O-290's.

A buddy runs an O-290 D2 with a clipped Borer. Another buddy has an 82x41 Borer on his D2. They both pull pretty good for "just" 140 horsepower.

I'm wondering if the warp would do better? for less weight? and easy to replace blades in the event of a 'tip-over'.

Let us know what you guys have experienced. Thanks. DAVE

Back