• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Close call at Oshkosh !!

Too many people who don't follow the proper procedures. Was going into OSH several years ago in a CAP10 when they closed the field. Procedure is to circle the lake and when it opens back up continue to circle until you are lined up with the pattern. When they opened it back up everyone flew across the lake converging on the same point. Scary. Been the victim of a midair once, don't care to go through it again. I might not be so lucky next time.

A "soft thud"!!! :eek:

Think I'll fly into New Holstein and take the "bus"!!

I always thought that flying into KOSH is an experience every pilot should have, but after stories like these and seeing some of the other "every pilots" make really bad decisions (and having a close call or two of my own) it’s an experience I can, and most likely will, LIVE without!!

Glad you can talk about your experience after the fact, Steve.

Going into New Holstein this year I had never flown into OSH. Have either driven or ridden the bus every year beginning in 1989. This year I had planned to take the bus over on Tuesday morning.

The Flying D's came up with the idea of Eddie flying Jose (visitor from Columbia) while Charlotte would ride with me and be a navigator. We departed along with SteveE and Mike Sharp Tuesday morning, flew directly across the lake to Ripon, then headed to Fiske, holding the prescribed altitude right on the dot. Just as we carefully fell into line Charlotte and I saw a Cessna 210 with gear retracted sneak around us to our right and sure enough they tried butting in line ahead of us.

Charlotte was livid. "They won't let them get away with that! she shouted into the headset" and we approached FISKE and sure enough we heard the controller say "high wing cessna retract turn left, do a 360 and return for sequencing at Ripon". A shout of glee came from my navigator extraordinaire..."I knew they wouldn't let them do that!" she shouted.

The rest of the approach was a piece of cake, the controllers were superb, so were the pilots. My first landing into OSH was no problem, a piece of cake.

The departure that evening wasn't. We had decided to rendezvous at 5:45 and to have our planes ready to depart when the airshow was finished, getting out of their quickly. We were ready, but as you may know Jack Rousch managed to crash his personal jet, shutting down the airport until 6:00 the next morning. We were stuck and thanks to Steve Johnson and Steve Lewis we had a van arranged to pick us up and take us back to New Holstein. We arrived back at camp at 11:30 pm, and we were beat. $70 cab fee ( a bargain, given the alternative).

I will take the bus in the future, unless something really unusual comes up. I am glad to be able to say I flew into OSH and "rocked my wings", but the pucker factor was quite prevalent that day, and the hassle of getting a ride back to NH was a royal pain.

I must say that spending the time with Steve E, Mike Sharp, Eddie and Charlotte Doyle and Jose was terrific...couldn't have been stranded with nicer or more interesting people.

Randy

reminds me of the Poker Run this year

We had 70+ planes out of Valdez attempting to sequence for touch-and-goes while some plane was jamming the air-to-air freq with a stuck mic. That got a bit interesting. One plane touching down, 2 on short final, 2 doing circles on final, 1 to my right, 1 above me, more to the rear... umm... I'm running out of room here!!! Good times.

WindOnHisNose said:
I must say that spending the time with Steve E, Mike Sharp, Eddie and Charlotte Doyle and Jose was terrific...couldn't have been stranded with nicer or more interesting people.

Randy
And I must say Randy,, it was a lot of fun,,, especially when you talked about that needle GUN the Dr.s use on you.... Might as well be a .45...

We had 2 planes cut in front of us as well... not even close to Ripon... It was after we passed Fisk and they turned us East... One passed us,, and the other just cut in from the south out of nowhere,, and got in line...

Yes,, the bus would be a lot easier. Wouldnt have to walk so far either..

You guys shoulda gone in there while the field was closed on Saturday :lol:

THAT was a piece of cake. Course, we had to get the volunteers to haul my camping gear a couple miles on the back of a golf cart, but, as always, service with a smile.

I've gone through the Fisk Arrival four times now, and never a problem or a close one, but there are a LOT of knobs out there who don't bother reading the NOTAM.

Of course, that's also true at virtually every busy airport in the country.... :roll:

Shoulda stayed with me that night-I had spare tent, cot, sleeping pads, etc. for friends later in the week. And, I only charge $50.... :angel:

Beer's free, though :drinking:

MTV

I've flown PIC into OSH once in a J-3 on the NORDO approach from the south. Absolute piece of cake. Rode back seat in a Skywagon once on the Ripon/Fisk arrival and agree it was hairy, mostly due to the cluelessness around us.

When I end up flying something to SnF I usually try to make it something I can land on the grass NORDO. Takes some pre planning and approval but it sure is easier.

I have flown into Oshkosh on the Fisk arrivel at least ten times and I think the only reason they don't have more accidents is dumb luck,pure and simple. As said most tools don't bother with the details of the notam.
Also many of those people you are sharing the airspace with are minimal flyers with oshkosh being their only cross country of the year.

I've flow into OSH 3 times. This last time was the first time I saw anyone on the approach from FISK. Just gotten there at the right time. There was no higher altitude for faster traffic because of clouds. My J-3 was maxed at 70 kts. I went ahead and circled back to FISK because of 3 faster bonanzas.

As I entered again, didn't see anyone until past Ripon. Only when I got to the downwind did I see two more on my 6 but they were holding steady and a bit wider in the downwind.

My head is always on a swivel going into there. But I enjoy the experience. I think my most favorite part of OSH is just watching arrivals and listening to ATC on my handheld.

From my experience, I've seen it go super smooth. "That was easy." To, how the hell can this work? "They're all trying to kill me."

I agree with the statement that "too many are on their only cross country of the year."

One MAJOR help would be if people READ the Notams, and then COMPLY with what they read. My head hurts from shaking it from all the departures from procedures I see or hear.

I worry most about the traffic from behind, that I can do nothing about. (Steve Pierce knows that one.) One time on one-mile final, I had a twin shoot just under me hauling a$$. And we were solid singles in line for landing 9'er. (no room for him) I'll never know if he saw me, but the meltdown with the controller caused the twin, and three singles on short final to peel out of there for another pattern. Suddenly, I had the airport to myself, so I landed.

I've flown in to OSH probably a half-dozen times on the Fisk arrival and never had any seat sucker moments. And then one year I go in a friend's new Mooney Eagle and he convinces me that the Mooney mass arrival is the safest way to get to Oshkosh.

They do a real good job briefing everyone and assigning positions and speeds. It's really a lot like the Fisk arrival, except it's simplified since everyone is departing from the same airport at the same time. The group is organized into several "flights" with a leader who has done it before. You just follow the airplane in front of you until he turns, and then you turn over the point that he turned over and resume following. In case you forget where to turn, it's all printed out in the very detailed briefing packet. Sounds easy enough.

I don't think our flight made it to the first turn before it disintegrated into a gaggle of weekend warrior goobers just trying not to get lost without being able to punch "direct to" into their GPS. Scariest 20 minutes of my life up to that point. Never again.

Fortysix12 said:
Which is the worst day and time to go in. Day before , same day, any day?

I haven't been in a few years, but pretty much everyone is there by Saturday, and most people start leaving on Monday. It seems there is always a big push right before the field closes for the airshow and again when it is over. If you can get in first thing in the morning or right before the field closes in the evening, it's usually pretty slow. It's never been real crazy on the Fisk arrival for me, but I usually arrived on Wed or Thurs.

Back