• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Emergency ! Covering & Cables

jse18

South West of Paris City !
I about to start to cover my fuselage of Piper Cub tomorrow. I would like to place the elevator cables before starting. In a Piper fuselage that have a J3 type control with the belcrank, there is 4 cable fairlead place at 1/3 and 2/3 from cockpit to tail.

The fairlead are not aligned in the middle to avoid that the cable touch together. I will welcome to know for example if the lower cable from belcrank to top attach of elevator is routed on the fairlead located on right or left side of the plane ( pilot seat ).

I have test that to build my cable with my tail a long time ago (2 years) but I did not re-found the details in service manual from WAGAERO ?

Thanks for your help !
Regards
Pierre

Pierre,

If you are building a WagAero experimental, they may do it differently than Piper. If so, I can't help.

Here are pictures of how Piper routed the cables in the J3. I can find no information which cable goes to which fairlead in the forward location. This is about where the cables cross and I think they just keep the cables apart.

Elevatorcables.jpg

General view showing bellcrank and locations of two sets og fairleads.

Fairleads2.jpg

Another view that shows (poorly) the forward set of fairleads on the diagonal.

Rearfairleads.jpg

A view of the rear fairleads.

Don't forget to install your rudder cables and trim too!

John Scott

Nice photos!

And it always looks better if you do the cable feed-throughs on the fabric using actual cables and control surfaces before you get too far along on finishing. There is a $125,000 Super Cub here with really ugly holes where the cables come out.

Longwinglover said:
A view of the rear fairleads.

Don't forget to install your rudder cables and trim too!

John Scott

Scott,
Thanks !
Great tanks,

It is 6:15 AM and Now, I am going to start with no fear and no doubt !

:angel: :lol:

Great John, thanks. Pictures are worth a thousand words. Digital cameras and computers are some of the best tool I have. My memory isn't what it used to be. :lol:

Back