PDA

View Full Version : Things are looking up

Douten
06-08-2010, 07:44 PM
Finally had my new Baumann 1500 Amphibs delivered today!!! got them uncrated and all parts layed out, have the spreader bars and water rudders in place, going to lose a couple of day's work as I've waited more than long enough for them so they have to get put togather and installed on the PA-11. Have a couple of things in the mail hope to have them here Thursday so the 11 can get to flying and testing them out.

39-J3
06-08-2010, 07:53 PM
Looking forward to seeing them. I will be mowing Bowman on Saturday morning. If you have them installed by then stop by.

Larry

Douten
06-08-2010, 08:01 PM
Will do Larry, Not sure how long it will take to get the FAA or a DAR here once installed to put the plane into Experimental. We have to do this until the STC gets approved.

pzinck
06-08-2010, 09:13 PM
Im flying up, maybe tomorrow. I always like rubbing elbows with the other (people who can afford amphibs) side. I heard a guy at lew/aub been waiting 2 1/2 months for the faa to show up. He is putting his in experimental . Just kidding, they don't let me land at lew/aub. :D

JP
06-08-2010, 09:55 PM
Danny, you gotta come see me at the lake. Phil, too.

mvivion
06-09-2010, 07:08 AM
Let us know how they work. Looks like a really nice setup for lightweight airplanes, and Baumann builds good stuff in my experience.

MTV

Douten
06-10-2010, 05:30 AM
Got the floats under the plane yesterday still a lot of work left to be done put a pic in the photo gallery but can't get it to the tread.

Tim
06-10-2010, 06:45 AM
http://www.supercub.org/photopost/data/500/medium/Baumann_floats_069.JPG

pzinck
06-10-2010, 06:48 AM
Looks good dan. Hurry up i need a buzz job. Working 7 days a week and it would cheer me up. :D

Douten
06-10-2010, 07:03 AM
Thanks Tim, I'm lucky I could get the photo into the gallery with my computer skills, hope to be able to stop by in the near future Phil with a couple more day's work and a little luck should be able to.

mvivion
06-10-2010, 08:05 AM
GREAT looking setup!! Keep us posted. And, more pictures. :lol:

MTV

OVEREASYGUY
06-10-2010, 12:25 PM
Hey guys Dan found me a nice set of EDO 2000's - he's picking them up this weekend. I wont go on floats this summer but next I sure hope to!
The rebuild Dan did is amazing! And he installed float mounts. I can't believe how nice it looks! can't wait to show you.
Cliff in Maine

aktango58
06-11-2010, 05:08 AM
Mirrors!!!!

Put mirrors on to see wheel position!

Douten
06-18-2010, 07:17 AM
Well hopefully today is the day I can try out the new amphib setup, the DAR will be here at 11:00 to inspect the plane and floats. Hope we did everything that she will need to sign the plane into EXPERIMENTAL so I can fly it legally. The setup looks like it belongs on my 11 and I think it will be a lot safer than take offs from my dolly and landing back on the grass. That was no big deal to do but the wife was usually on edge until the wheels were put back on. Will update later.

skywagon8a
06-19-2010, 07:28 AM
Douten, I don't know whether you have any amphibious experience or not. If not, be very careful in that you will need to make a conscious decision to make sure that the wheels are down for land and up for water. Many folks have done it backwards. Look at the gear and say out loud to yourself THIS IS A LAND LANDING THE GEAR IS DOWN or THIS IS A WATER LANDING THE GEAR IS UP. Then on final, after what ever you use for a check list is finished, look again to verify that the gear position is correct and tell yourself again that it is correct. Always be concerned that it may not be correct and do not land if you are not absolutely certain that it is correct.

Good luck. You will enjoy the convenience and utility of the amphibs.

Douten
06-19-2010, 10:33 PM
Well the Dar experiance went great, got my insurance check out and now I'm doing phase 1 testing for 5 hours, had a slight problem getting off the water but think I have that figured out and will talk to Joe at Baumann on Monday. Have been working nights so only get a couple of hours to myself during the day so flying has been limited but fun, hope to get a little more time tomorrow to do some updates as to performance.

Douten
07-11-2010, 06:26 PM
An update on the pa-11 90hp/ amphib floats combo, have about nine hours on the pa-11 now had to make a couple of adjustments to the retract system to get wheels up for water take offs. This morning flying with no wind cruise was 95 mph with gps although saw as slow as 90 and as fast as 103. I have not had a chance to do much water work but did see about 700-800 foot t/o's with little wind. On pavement about 250' and on grass with fuul fuel and 80 degree with slight breeze 450' or so. Have a couple more things to adjust in the near future but looks like this may be what I was hoping for in amphibs. Plane was 902 on 25x11x4 tundra tires and 1042 with the floats installed.( I know I need to remove all the heavy interior ect.). will update after more testing and flying.