• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Vertical Stab Rigging

Jim Miller

Normandy TN
I have looked thru the old posts and got some good info. As I understand it the amount of angle for the top of the Vertical depends on engine size.
I am just welding up the vertical and want to weld in the angle as much as possible. Looking from the REAR of the aircraft the top rib of the Vert should be on a line that points X number of inches to the LEFT of the aircraft centerline as I understand it. The forward reference is the standard skylight rear which I am not sure of either. How much further foreward is this from the rear spar carry-thru tube? On a Cub with a 0235
108hp how many inches to the left of center should I be using for the reference point?

Thanks
Jim Miller

Jim,

Of course I'll defer to the "real experts" here. But, I think you could very safely do the "inch left" and adjust manually in or out from there. By manually, I mean taking the vertical in both hands and give a slight bend or shift to the top of the vert. to get the line that you need. I've heard from others that this is the thing to do. And, it worked on my weld setup. After I'm covered and rigged, one can still fine tune is my understanding.

Come to think of it. I think I just mounted it dead straight and manually bent it slightly left (1" left of aim at top of sunroof center.)

That's of course to counter torque, slipstream, maybe some p factor.

Jim Miller said:
.... The forward reference is the standard skylight rear which I am not sure of either. How much further foreward is this from the rear spar carry-thru tube?
Jim Miller

The front of skylight is usually what I sight at.. And yes an inch or a little more to left....

And it's not just the to rib of vert fin that is angled, that's just where you are sighting down to measure...

Also make sure rear tube/tail post is vertical/perpendicular to fuselage while measuring this........

Mike, Cal
Thanks for the reply. Mike is the jackscrew tower offset during fuse construction also? I think mine is set on centerline.

Thanks
Jim Miller

1 1/2" left of the center of trailing edge of the windshield. I was told this was the starting point for most all the ragwing Pipers.

Back