PDA

View Full Version : 1p235 vs. 1a200 prop

bluetoysguy
06-07-2010, 02:14 PM
Looking for a different prop for our Smith Cub with XP-360 180 h.p. Aircraft is on Clamar amphib floats.

From the research done here so far, seems like a couple guys are running the Pawnee 1P235 prop and are very happy. Perhaps some unknown vibration concerns have prevented this prop from being certificated, but no real world problems.

Apparently the 1A200 prop is the choice for Cubcrafters and other certificated 180 hp. Cubs. No known problems found in my research other than being a little heavier than we'd like.

Anybody have any recommendations for us on this one? We are currently running a composite fixed pitch prop that is not meeting our needs for seaplane ops.

What would your choice be? And what pitch would you recommend?

Thanks guys for your input.

joecub
06-07-2010, 07:30 PM
1P235 84/43 on my smith... love it

Doose
06-07-2010, 08:54 PM
1p235 works great for 0360 wish it would get approval for certified cubs. 1A200 is to much prop it is rated to 300hp

mike mcs repair
06-07-2010, 10:04 PM
. Perhaps some unknown vibration concerns have prevented this prop from being certificated, but no real world problems.

Thanks guys for your input.

There was only a partial static vibration analysis done on prop & O-360 for some experimental guy...

The Feds used to accept that as the data for field approval until someone realized it was not the right & full testing....

It was in that static analysis that the possible vibration modes/ranges were identified. No real vibration tests were done. Some where I used to have the test data.....

So the Feds said they had no problem approving them again if someone wanted to come up with the proper testing data$$. But that was many years ago..... Who knows what's happening now.....

Only know of one that went back to a paddle prop after having the 84.... Everone else was smiles......

bluetoysguy
06-09-2010, 10:43 AM
Ordered the "Pawnee" 1P235 AFA 8442 prop yesterday after talking with Steve Tubbs.

Steve was EXTREMELY helpful and gracious with his time! Thanks so much to him for taking time to talk with me and sharing some exciting performance tips. I'm very appreciative.

Looking forward to receiving the prop (hopefully next week) and seeing how it performs. We'll post back with the results!

King Brown
06-09-2010, 11:07 AM
The P235 84/43 on Lyc 180p is very smooth on my Bushmaster.