• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Covering + fabric PA18

jse18

South West of Paris City !
I am looking for details about covering a fuselage of PA18 with fabric.
I have document related to all surface except both wings and fuselage.

I have the Piper drawings :22481, 22491,24021 ... ruder-41733 ...

Did some one has a drawing for wings and fuselage ?

I am looking for wire position and order of covering junction ordering of top/bottom and side.

Specially for the top of the fuselage, are the both side junction, glued or sewn ?

All advises will be welcome !
Thanks
Regards
Pierre

It sounds like you have a bunch of reading/learning to do before we can help you much. There is NO sewing, except -possibly- the tail. You CAN sew a seam along the top stringer, (one method) but it will likely be ugly :)

Go to a couple of the fabric suppliers & buy their manuals. It will explain the process for you, and THEN we will be able to help with specific questions. The popular system today is Stewart System. The fabric is the same, the glue & paint is different.

If you do a "Search" (for "recovering") on this site, you'll learn lots of good basics which will start your understanding. It's not hard to do, you just need to understand how the fabric actually acts, and how to make proper seams (glue).

Once you understand the basics, we can be helpful.

All the drawings are on my site. Search for "fabric" or "covered" in my PA-18 drawing viewer.

Bugs66 said:
All the drawings are on my site. Search for "fabric" or "covered" in my PA-18 drawing viewer.

Great, exaclty what I was looking for ! :p

Yet an other question about the Piper "3 plain knots" used to tied the fabric on structure (ex 41733 rudder assembly covered). They are drawed inside the structure instead of right on top of the fabric. Is there a tip to slide the knots inside after installing the fabric ?

It doesn't looks like a "seine knot" used on classic wood aircraft fabric covering ?!

Thanks
Regards

Pierre

Pierre,
If you are building experimental go with "Staggerwing" knot. Fast and easy. The knot is on my web site and also you can search the photo gallery here.

Good luck!

jse18 said:
Yet an other question about the Piper "3 plain knots" used to tied the fabric on structure (ex 41733 rudder assembly covered). They are drawed inside the structure instead of right on top of the fabric. Is there a tip to slide the knots inside after installing the fabric ?

Thanks
Regards

Pierre

After you tie the knot, feed one of the loose ends through the hole to the other side with the needle. Then just pull the knot inside and cut off the excess cord. Do not cut it too close to the knot. Then, stuff the excess in side.

If you have any questions at all about fabric covering, give me a shout. I'll be happy to help out.

Molly McNamara
Superflite
800-323-0611

Back