• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

windshield

cgoldy

Moogerah Queensland Australia
Hi All,

Has anyone any suggestions of what gunk I should use to seal the windshield? I searched all the post but came up empty. Any other tips that you might have would be appreciated before I commit to this job. I have already done a dry fit and everything seems to be lining up OK.

Cgoldy

What Mike said. But in more detail , Mask an 1/8 inch on the trim metal side and the same on the window side. I prefer Dow Corning Aquarium 100 Silicone caulk sold at hardware stores. Its smooth and strongerr than generic bulk caulking(seems so anyway). After laying up the bead,strike it with a firm finger pushing down squeezing out in to and laying down a nice smooth film. Don't push so hard you push it out of the area you want it. The idea is to have a thin film on the metal and a proffessional looking smooth caulking joint on the windsheild. Peel the mask just as soon as you strike the bead with your fingers. You will figure out how much to lay down as you go so you dont waste it and you don't come up short(gaps in the bead. Pull the masking back onto itself as you remove it to improve the look. Practice on something before you do you windsheild, like your rear windows. Don't worry about any that gets on the window. Little bits will remove easy after drying just by rubbing.

What 46/12 said, after you wipe it, but before you pull the masking tape off spray the silicone joint and the area around it with glass cleaner, silicone will not stick to anything wet, so if you slip when pulling the tape off and touch your plexi or paint the silicone won't stick to it and your done.

Glenn

So does anyone seal the inside to stop the dust and crap from falling between the plexiglass and inside strip???

Regarding the silicone, I would stick with the noncorroding variety. The acetic acid can cause some ugly problems down the line. Local small town NAPA stocks black and gray on the shelf and reasonably priced (especially compared to future metal replacement!).

Mark J

Piper "tar tape" or the local glass shops Butylene tape. Nothing else as far as I'm concerned...

irishfield said:
Piper "tar tape" or the local glass shops Butylene tape. Nothing else as far as I'm concerned...

careful with this as it may expand and puke out over time from heat of sun.... i use this/strip caulk between boot cowl & under windshield strip(s)...

Actually what I like about it Mike.. it seals the windshield. I keep it about 1/8" back from the top of the windshield retainer during the install.. and then go face the aircraft into the sun to let it heat up. Then I push the windshield edges from the inside to push it into the softened gooo. It does grow and you peel it off as required o the outside with your fingernail. Been using it for 15 years now and don't think I could switch to any other method..

What do you think about Zinc chromate paste or tape? This is the stuff that EDO used to use to seal their floats.

Back