PDA

View Full Version : door entry

cgoldy
04-24-2010, 06:26 PM
Hi All,

I am looking for ideas of how to finish the right hand door entry of my Back Country kit. It comes with a hex head bolt which I have covered over with fabric but now I don't know how to make a penetration and finish it without the risk of water entering and sitting inside the door. I have lift up windows so I can't just slide the left one open and reach in to unlock the door. Maybe some sort of removable push in cap???

Thanks in advance.

CGoldy

JayH
04-24-2010, 07:39 PM
CG,

I might have some other ideas for ya, but I don't know what Backcountry did with their hex head bolt. (Don't know what it looks like) Did you get a photo or two before you covered it with fabric? Email me if you want if you got some photos of it. I'm thinking along the lines of a small aluminum cover, but have no idea what their design is.

J

skywagon8a
04-25-2010, 07:56 AM
Just use a soldering iron to melt (carve) the fabric away from the bolt. You are not likely to get much water in there as it is protected from rain by being back under the wing. Most likely any water that does get in there will come from condensation with temperature changes. If you are still concerned just drill a drain hole in the bottom rear corner of the door. I did that on mine. My Back Country Cub came with a welded on handle on the outside. I had to add a leather chafe patch to protect the fabric below the door.