PDA

View Full Version : Gear Safety Cable Length

Bill Rusk
04-23-2010, 05:56 PM
Hey Gents

Putting my gear on for the last time, I hope, and after putting on the Atlee Dodge Safety Cables, they sure seem long. I know they need to be long enough to account for my bad landings but how much is too much? If they are too long doesn't that negate the benefits? Too short and you would limit the cable before the shock strut. I have the die spring and as best I can tell I would get a max of 3.5 inches of travel. (That is the length of the slit for the bolt assembly to travel in). The shock strut is 31 inches compressed and my cable is 36 inches. Here is what it looks like. What do you think?
Thanks

Bill

http://www.supercub.org/photopost/data//500/medium/gear_005.jpg
http://www.supercub.org/photopost/data//500/medium/gear_004.jpg

Grant
04-23-2010, 07:34 PM
It seems awfully long to me.... I don't claim to know how long it should be but just by looking I don't think they would do much good should you have a gear failure.

irishfield
04-23-2010, 08:09 PM
Yep.. definitely tooo long. Take the attach tang off each axle/strut bolt and swap sides. Not sure how well the thimbles/nicos will x each other as I use tangs on my wishbone attach.

Tim
04-23-2010, 08:15 PM
Bill, I have the die spring also with cables and your cables look to long. I can't remember how I figured it out, but 1/8inch after the gear is fully extended my cables are tight. I'll look and see if I wrote anything down on how I figured it out.

Tim

mike mcs repair
04-23-2010, 09:17 PM
Bill, I have the die spring also .......

....1/8inch after the gear is fully extended my cables are tight. ......

Tim

that sounds right to me too.....

FWIW...and the cable eyelets will elongate some if you ever break shock..

CaptFox
04-23-2010, 09:35 PM
They do look a little long, Do you have Standard length gear or extended?

I just checked a set of OLD used cables that I have here which I believe came off a 3" extended gear and it is around 36" Bolt hole to Bolt hole.

David.

Steve Pierce
04-23-2010, 10:12 PM
Bill, I got the same as David, 35-36" on a 3" extended gear.

SteveE
04-23-2010, 10:13 PM
Way too long Bill,,, you will be mowin a lot of grass with those... :o looks like you could shorten them by about 4" or so. I could photoshop you some shorten ones if it will make you feel better. :)

JayH
04-23-2010, 10:47 PM
Bill,

Just measured mine. Top of thimble to top of thimble is 36" on 3" extended gear Smith cub.

J

Iflylower
04-23-2010, 11:36 PM
Might also reverse and put the plate upside down. I haven't thought it completely through, but it could help. Cool Atlee sticker would be upside down.

Or, you could have atlee redo them.

aktango58
04-24-2010, 12:49 AM
too long. Might have a set for 6" gear...

Also, when you put the new cables on, (send these back and get new ones), put the tabs UP. They work the same, but will not cause the drag in grass, and don't bang rocks as much.

George

Bugs66
04-24-2010, 11:55 AM
I put my center plate in with the holes on top (upside down, as others have said). Will take up some of the slack.

http://www.supercubproject.com/photos/8/0aykv50/im000046.jpg

DW
04-24-2010, 12:00 PM
Wrong ones Bill change them out, or go to a cable co. and have them shortend.

DW

Steve Pierce
04-24-2010, 12:12 PM
Bugs, Are those Grade 8 bolts on your gear?

Bugs66
04-24-2010, 01:21 PM
Bugs, Are those Grade 8 bolts on your gear?

Regular AN bolts from Spruce. I don't have any grade 8 in my supply. What makes you think they are 8?

http://www.engineersedge.com/graphics/Aircraft_Bolt_Head.gif

Steve Pierce
04-24-2010, 01:32 PM
Got my markings confused. :oops:

JayH
04-24-2010, 07:47 PM
Bill,
What do yours measure? I'm thinking mine looked about like yours before I zip tied them up. There is alot of suggestion here that they are too long, so, does anyone have real measurements???? As in, what length are they suppose to be for 3" extended and standard gear?

Thanks for the help, may have to change mine to.

J

mike mcs repair
04-24-2010, 11:08 PM
...what length are they suppose to be for ...

J

they should be, like stated above,

just as long as with your gear deflected fully, plus maybe an 1/8".... their goal in life is to only come under tension when something in shock strut setup fails... if too long it will allow wing tip to hit ground when the failure occurs........which gets expensive... :D

PA14driver
04-29-2010, 10:37 PM
For those that have the stock system I spoke with Steve today at FA Dodge and he made the following points:
The cables are supposed to be 5 1/2" longer for the bungee system to allow for maximum travel. The center bracket is supposed to be mounted to allow the long cables to come off the bottom of the center bracket. It is done this way to prevent any damage to the hydrosorbs during landings. Yes they are loopy but they supply tie-wraps with their cables to tie them up. If you have 3" extended 18 gear on a PA 12/14 you will see it is stamped on the back side of the center bracket with " PA12 3X ".

Steve Pierce
04-30-2010, 02:45 AM
I think I was there when you called. :D

Coyote Ugly
05-01-2010, 12:40 AM
How many of you out there have actually had them have to work???
And did they work??

PA14driver
05-01-2010, 12:59 AM
Wow Steve what was the chances of that! I read a note from one of the site members that said you were going to Alaska. I expect you are having a great trip.

Bill Rusk
05-01-2010, 10:29 AM
I spoke to Steve at Atlee Dodge and he explained that the Hydrasob gear travels 5 inches thus the length of the cables. He was very nice and offered to remake them for me at no charge. Excellent customer service. I will shorten them about 1.5 inches to account for my die spring gear which has less travel.

I was very impressed and pleased by the folks at Atlee Dodge. They have been outstanding every time I have called.

Another Scooby mystery solved

Bill

Steve Pierce
05-01-2010, 10:37 AM
Wow Steve what was the chances of that! I read a note from one of the site members that said you were going to Alaska. I expect you are having a great trip.

Having a great time. :D

Great folks there Bill. Neat stuff going on as well.

Rick-1073
01-05-2017, 05:26 PM
Hi Bill,

I am in the process of purchasing some Atlee Dodge safety cables for my Smith Experimental Super Cub. Looking back at the previous posts in the forum it appears that the cable length eyelet to eyelet needs to be 33"? Please confirm. Also, have you been happy with the resulting length of cables or do you have any suggestions for improvement?
Thanks,
Rick

reliableflyer
01-12-2017, 09:16 PM
And did they work??

Ive had two gear failures where the cables saved the day. First, a shock strut failed. Clearly a compression failure up by the hydrosorb. The shock strut developed a circular bulge just below the end sleeve that goes over the shock tube where it connects to the hydrosorb. The bulge was covered by the bunji cover. Wheel skis and even straight skis are hard on everything.

The second was was a failure of both bungees st the same time. Oddly enough on both occasions the landings were both on grass strips that were smooth and the landings were both gentel. The damage had obviously been done previously over a prolonged period of time and not caught on preflight inspections

Steve Pierce
01-15-2017, 10:17 AM
I would think that if you are building an experimental airplane you would spread your gear out to the maximum travel and add a touch to it. Atlee Dodge designed his cables to work on stock and his extended gear using bungees and hydrosorbs.

mike mcs repair
01-15-2017, 02:12 PM
Hi Bill,

I am in the process of purchasing some Atlee Dodge safety cables for my Smith Experimental Super Cub. Looking back at the previous posts in the forum it appears that the cable length eyelet to eyelet needs to be 33"? Please confirm. Also, have you been happy with the resulting length of cables or do you have any suggestions for improvement?
Thanks,
Rick

the upper cables should be shorter than they make them, if making your own, make them tight... as loose as they make them you almost hit tip when cabane ears rip off.... + the stretch when the eyelets deform

wheatfarmer1
01-17-2017, 09:40 AM
And did they work??

I tested my safety cables for the first time about a week ago. Broke about 10 miles from home. The cables did their job and more then paid for themselves that day. Pat