• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Trim pulley pin

bob turner

Having a little trouble with one trim pulley - others we just stick a steel dowel in and they last for decades, but not this one. My theory is that the pulley axle has worn, and the pulley is too close to the steel bracket, and the bracket pulls at the pin until it is pulled out.

The other thing is, this particular airplane needs a whole lot of trim to go from zero flaps to full flaps, unlike most I have flown.

Anybody else run into this one?

Last pulley pin I saw was just a piece of welding rod..... Came approved straight from Univair.

Yeah - or you can get a piece from Piper for forty bucks. I have never had problems before, but this one aircraft is driving its owner nuts. And he is going to beat me up . . .

If this is the Front Trim Pulley & Pin it is very common ESPECIALLY if you Don't Lube it. The front pullies are about $45 & the pin is about $8

The clevis can be remade for less than $2 and a drill press, if it's too worn.

piper print #41161

an396-41 clevis pin

We did get a Piper part - came in a PMA envelope with full documentation. I suppose I could have gotten it in there, but not without airframe damage. The pins have been lasting for about six months, but this last one - a drill rod - pulled out in two flights. It did fit tight; I had to drive it in there with a hammer and a drift pin - but it pulled out. Tomorrow I will pin it in with a pin at both ends. It will have to split the pulley before it comes out.

Back