• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Anybody have a .DWG or .DXF for inst. panel #13413

Iflylower

Memphis, TN
Trying to lay out autocad cutouts for the instrument panel I'm putting in the cub.

I did a sloppy job of making the Cad-outline off the prints last night. I thought I'd speed up the process if anyone had a cad drawing of the outline of the panel. Once I have a reference, I can throw all my own instrument layouts into the file.

I already have the panel from cub doctor clyde smith, now to set up my own design on it.

My friend told me to do the first two in Lexan .080 to get a feel for the layout and move what needs moving. I thought that was a good idea. So, that's what I'll do.

Thanks.

Cal-

If you want me to cut it for you just give me a call.

I did a bunch for my dad this winter. 172 Panel is next:

P1010504.JPG

I thought about using CAD, but decided it's just as easy (or maybe easier) to make some cardboard cutouts and move them around on the panel blank and stick 'em with double-sided tape. I labeled each of my cutouts with their depth, set the panel in place in the plane, and just moved things to my heart's content! Makes it easy to check for interference with those pesky diagonal tubes fwd of the panel.

I suppose if you're going to CNC the cutouts eventually, the Autocad file would be nice - I'll hand-cut mine. EAA has a good how-to video for making nice neat round cutouts with a hole saw, but the rectangular ones would be more challenging, for sure. Get close with router, then file. Or go borrow my friend's Bridgeport!

I have a dwg file (AutoCad 2002) of my Super Cub panel -- a rounded late style panel. If you would want a copy, I'll figure out how to get my older XP computer back on line and send it to you.
Darrel
PA300029_cropped.jpg

PA300029.JPG

Looks good guys!

Thanks for the input.

Tim - I'm following up and will call for advise. Looks like you've been there.

DW - probably will, but thought I'd make someone else do the work since I already have so much other stuff to do. Especially, since I have a couple practice clear sheets to see how I like the layout.

Steve - Looked up username "MPH." figured he's in this area. No MPH listed in the memberlist. But, I don't know who your dad used. My buddy used a local panel maker for his 195, but I would need an autocad file to bring him first. Will consult with you.

Thanks.

I'll get his contact info from my Dad. He is an old airplane enthusiast and does all the control panels for prisons etc. He cut my Dad's aluminum panel he got from Clyde and then cut a colored Plexiglas cover with the lettering cut on the back side through the color. China marker on the back side and your letter is good for life.

Back