• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

OIL filters: Whats the difference?

dynoluc

timmins ONT
Whats the difference between the Champion CH48108-1 and the Tempest AA48108??????

Last edited by a moderator:
Tempest filters are cheaper and they have a magnet in the end. Been using them for several years and buy them by the 6 pack. Much better deal than Champions in my opinion.

Speaking of filters,, do you change it at every oil change (I do 30 hr change),, or every other change... I have been changing mine every oil change,, but wondering if that is too much.

I may be mistaken, but I think Darrel Starr told me that he changes the filters every other oil change...the thought is that the filter really becomes more effective after it has had some use.

Darrel, jump in here, would you?

Randy

Aviation Consumer Magazine did a review of Champion, Tempest and Kelly filters a few months back. They rated Champion their favorite, but I can't
remember the criteria that they used.

I change the filter at every change.

I change oil and filter every 30 -50 hours, and usually buy the cheapest filters... I guess filters and oil are a lot less expensive than engines tho... My son pointed out that usually oil consumption goes up after about 30 hours, and I agree, so that seems like a good time to just go ahead and change it. Personally, any filter is probably a lot better than a screen.

I change the filter when I change the oil. You would be leaving almost a quart of dirty oil in the engine after you change it.

Randy --- I just saw your note. You are correct in recalling what I said. I worked with engineers running engine oil tests who tracked the trapping capability of filters. The filters actually became more effective with time up to a point. In the extreme they would plug of course. But for early hour effectiveness, the filters were better in use --- so I change oil every 25 hours and filters every 50 hours.
If someone else has other test information, please let us know!
Darrel

Steve Pierce said:
I change the filter when I change the oil. You would be leaving almost a quart of dirty oil in the engine after you change it.

Even it the filter is mounted upside down? B&C....

Steve, the test filters were all right side up (our very practical customers would never stand for filters mounted upside down!). I have a B&C setup so mine is upside down. The way I visualize this, I don't think it matters for filter effectiveness but I could be wrong, however unlikely that may be.
Darrel

Steve Pierce said:
<snip>a magnet </snip>

I have a bog standard Continental kidney tank, and in my brass sump plug I have always had a short rod magnet glued in there with epoxy.

It collects all the iron filings from the barrel scrapings.

Next time I do an oil change I'll take a pic.

Rob

SteveE, Ever notice how much oil comes out of that filter when you unscrew it?

RobL, I have seen some sump plugs on the big Continetals that way as well.

I use the new challenger cleanable oil filter buy it once an your done buying oil filters filters down to 24 microns an 22 gpm oil flow I run my 375 @ 3100 rpms when I'm in a hurry to get someplace they are stc I change oil @25hrs seems it works for me. Mikeo

The ECI instructions seem to require the use of a Champion filter due to no bypass in their adapter, see "Note" under para 6.6 in their instructions. Anyone have an opinion on this or know the internal differences between Champion/Tempest? Thanks, Jim

Personally, any filter is probably a lot better than a screen.[/QUOTE] If the oils changed every 20 hours or so are the screens that bad?

From all my research Champion, Tempest and Kelly work the same for like part numbers. Tempest has a magnet and are cheaper than the Champion filters by quite a bit so that is what I use. I have not had any bad experience with any of the current oil filters and have changed a bunch of all of them. I hate oil screens. Pain in the but to get to, remove that expensive, fragile oil temperature probe, scrape the gasket etc. Seen lots of over torqued oil screen housing with cracked ears. Filter is just easier in my opinion.

A mechanic friend of mine in Billings Mt, (Dale) that has overhauled engines for me since 1973 says. "Changing oil & filters frequently only does one thing. It extends the life of your engine." The timing of oil changes & filter depend on use and conditions the aircraft is Flying in. in the O320, IO320, O470. IO520, IO550. IO720. we t change oil % filter at 25-30 hrs. When pulling the sprayers away for the winter we drain the oil from a warm engine replace it with inhibiting oil fly for 1-1.5 hrs pull the plugs and inject inhibiting oil into the cylinders. This is his recommendations and it has served us well.

I have a friend who has one of those fancy half moon magnets (almost as wide as the filter) that attach themselves over the filter. He leaves it on while removeing the filter and you can see the deposit on the inside of the filter where the magnet was. No metal, but interesting that the "sledge" collects on the magnetic area.

Hello Mr. Pierce, new to the site, is the AA48108-2 the correct Tempest cross for the Champion CH48108-1?
Thanks, C

Randy --- I just saw your note. You are correct in recalling what I said. I worked with engineers running engine oil tests who tracked the trapping capability of filters. The filters actually became more effective with time up to a point. In the extreme they would plug of course. But for early hour effectiveness, the filters were better in use --- so I change oil every 25 hours and filters every 50 hours.
If someone else has other test information, please let us know!
Darrel
I have been following Darrel's advice since this thread was started, changing the oil every 25 hours, the oil filter every 50 hours.

Randy

Steve if I remember correctly you were using or trying the Challenge screen/filter way back when. How did that work out.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

I have been following Darrel's advice since this thread was started, changing the oil every 25 hours, the oil filter every 50 hours.

Randy

Do you get your oil analyzed? If so, what are they saying?

I might start doing this. My plane sometimes has unexpected bouts of stagnation, as work can sneak up and get busy. I figure more fresh oil would help, but I’ve read about filters doing better with a bit of time on them, too.

Steve if I remember correctly you were using or trying the Challenge screen/filter way back when. How did that work out.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

I like it. I hate cutting filters but I want to be sure nothing is hidden inside. I like my Challenger filter, it is simple to remove and clean. Plus it is lighter. ;)
20151003_143010.jpg
20170909_161741.jpg

Attachments

• 20151003_143010.jpg
    20151003_143010.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 237
  • 20170909_161741.jpg
    20170909_161741.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 243
Back