• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

fuel tank vent

kirkangus

I have a backcountry sc kit and i`m getting ready to cover the wings now. An a&p friend mentioned that we should run a vent line with a check valve from the 1/4 in. hole in the top front side of the tank out to the wing-tip for better venting. i plan to use the vented fuel caps so would this be necessary?

100 series Cessnas run a line from the fuel tank (with a one way valve in line)
to just behind the wing strut positioned in such a way that it won't force water
into the tank if it is raining but still add positive pressure to the fuel
tank. The one way valve keeps fuel from running out if the wing tank is
full or at an incline... That system seems to work well to me. They also
have a 3/8 line from tank to tank to equalize pressure.

MNSC360

Don't forget that a vent needs to work in two directions. The Cessnas have a valve built into the cap for this purpose. If you don't have the ability to vent in both directions you could collapse the tank with altitude changes.

If you want to vent it out of the wing tip you should plumb it to vent out the opposite wing. Your vent hole is on the outboard side of the tank. When this is then plumbed up over the top of the tank to the opposite wing tip the fuel will need to flow up hill before it can run downhill to the wing tip. I don't believe that you will need a check valve in this case. This will reduce the possibility of fuel siphoning out if you are parked sideways on a slope. This is the way airliners are built.

kirkangus said:
..... we should run a vent line with a check valve from the 1/4 in. hole in the top front side of the tank out to the wing-tip for better venting....

why???????????????????????????????

why not just use a good vented cap like the -18????

I am using the candy-cane style vented caps on mine. Works perfect. I modified a standard set of caps and brazed on some 1/4" tubes. Or you can buy them from CC for $95/ea. I believe Wag Aero has some for $40/ea or so.

fuel vent

Just complicating the simplest and most reliable system. Fuel vents in wings with check valves - like in 4 tank LR Scouts, can malfunction. Atlee's vented caps are the end of any problem. Bugs can get into more sophisticated fuel vent systems and cause fuel starvation.

Vented caps with a line connecting the two tanks in case one cap vent plugs, that tank will vent thru the other. I am pretty sure the FAA requires two vents for each tank.

So your flying along with just the two caps vented and the cap on the tank your useing plugs --the engine sputters and you switch tanks and fly on---So now your flying along with vented caps and a crossover vent tank to tank and the engine sputters so you change tanks ---OH S!#t one of the caps has been plugged and you had no way of noing.
Then there's the---parking on a hill with the crossover vent--yea I know put a valve in it. I would think you would be better off with two vents on each tank no crossover.

skywagon8a said:
Don't forget that a vent needs to work in two directions. The Cessnas have a valve built into the cap for this purpose. If you don't have the ability to vent in both directions you could collapse the tank with altitude changes.

I just replaced the vent system in my 180. The valve inside the tank is designed to vent in and allow expansion pressure out. It's a trick little valve.

No thread hijack intended

So has anyone had trouble with the stock tanks & vented caps??

NimpoCub said:
Works fine for me... other than using SS vented caps (from FAD, not the candy cane ones) my fuel system is 100% stock as it has been for all of its 2057 hours. The only problem I ever had was with the stock caps when a gasket went bad once and it messed some fabric finish up from the unnoticed fuel drool. New caps fixed that.

We had one Super Cub with problems on one tank. Investigation of the machined aluminum cap showed no blockage, and a number of sharp IAs looked at it. Cure was a new cap - I am still baffled.

J-3 needed that little curved "pffft" on top to feed reliably. Provides a positive pressure.

thanks guys, so i guess i`m going with the candy cane caps,,,,interesting though,,,,the vent tube on the right wing of my 180 siphons fuel when full for a few minutes during flight,,,nothing serious but noticeable,,,,i usually switch to the right tank and burn off 10 gal or so then it seems okay,,,, that will be another question for later,,,,

Only problem I have had with the curved 1/4 inch vent tubes on the gas caps is when someone puts one on backwards, it only takes 15 min to run it dry of fuel.

But by unhooking your seat belt and getting as close to the sky-lite as possible, you are able to see the stream of gas heading rearward.

A friend called one day to tell me his J-4 quit shortly after take-off. He was in a good location so had an uneventful landing although the pucker factor was a bit high. I helped him investgate. Seems he had just installed a new FAA approved VENTED gas cap that was not built quite right and indeed was NOT vented. A careful modification with a small drill cured the problem. NEW parts don't always mean GOOD parts. :D

fuel vents

At the risk of looking stupid - since when are Cub tanks vented other than in the caps? Once we had a plugged cap vent and the tank tried to collapse. Luckily the fuel came out and the engine ran. Found the cap way beneath the top surface of the wing and when it came off, the tank popped back up. Since then we have Atlee vented caps on everything. If you trust someone else to fuel the plane, and don't check the caps, just look back to the side, and you'll see gas pouring out from the bassakwards caps. If you intend to use any auto fuel in warm weather ever, you'd do well to use the forward facing Atlee caps as well, to keep the fuel flowing nicely. Used to operate an early model Cessna AgWagon with wing tanks, and it quit dead cold all of a sudden one day. Hit the fuel boost and got home. Next week an AD came requiring vented caps. K.I.S.S. :p

Stearman600
Your right the only vent piper put in was to vent the air out of the header tanks back into the tank.

fule tank vents

DW said:
Stearman600
Your right the only vent piper put in was to vent the air out of the header tanks back into the tank.

Hey, now you mention it, if you go to headerless tanks, wouldn't you really would be wise to use FAD vented caps! :D

My Smith Cub has 4 fuel tanks. The inboards are 24 gals each and have the fwd facing ram air vented caps(headerless system). The outboard(aux) tanks each hold 12 gals and are a standard vented cap( no raised vent).

When I fill up the aux tanks to the top (12 gals) they vent approx 1 gal overboard. So I only fill them to 11 gals. Anyone else with this setup have a similar experience?

Lou

Yea I have a headerless system and I'm putting on Atlees raised tube caps ---no other vent and not crossover tube.

DW

Make sure there is a small vent hole at the rear of the tube at the base. This is to allow the tank to vent when it ices over (and it will!).

I made my caps and added it. FAD caps may already have it.

Lou

Hi Lou,any chance of a photo please,your mod sounds bullet proof in icing conditions.Many thanks from NZ.Ron.

Yes, caused by a bad gasket on fuel cap, it plugged the vent on cap and caused the tank to collapse a little and fuel stravation on that tank. replaced fuel caps and check condition of caps and gaskets periodically when refueling.

You can check the AD Piper gas caps, it shows how to drill caps for extra venting and also discusses the gaskets that can block the venting, ie above post. It's a good read.

Back