• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Southern California Fabric Repair?

TKO

SoCal
I'm traveling across country and am in need of recommendations in the Apple Valley or LA Basin area. The J-3 wing will need a new front spar, and recovering as well. Anybody know of a facility who does good stits fabric work here?

fabric repair

Absolutely! Rowena at Santa Paula KSZP. She's also the airfield manager.
Great work, nice people and a fabulous airfield full of antiques, experimental and classics of all sorts. Cheap fuel. You can get all kinds of repair work at CP Aviation, welding etc etc. CP Aviation 805 525 2138.

Man, I'd second Santa Paula as an amazing little airport, with all sorts of real treasures to see.

If you get anywhere near the LA basin, and have a little time, visit Santa Paula airport. Great little restaurant on the field, nice people and once a month they have an open house....not to be missed.

MTV

I'm pretty sure Rowena only does dope. You SHOULD call her though.
SZP is a little slice of heaven......
DaveG

Go to Flabob and talk to Mark Lightsey at Aerocraftsman. He is a true craftsman. You can check out his work at www.aerocraftsman.com.

Santa Paula is a great little airport with all sorts of antiques on the field. Flabob is rich in history too. I haven't measured out the mileage but I think it is closer to Apple Valley than Santa Paula is. It is in Riverside County. You won't be disappointed with Mark's work.

I'll have to recommend Santa Paula as well. I've had Pete & Rowena work on my Cub in the past and I just never want to leave the airport. What a great place to just sit and watch airplanes!

Mike-

Both have excellent reputations around here. Flabob is about a third the distance, I think. It is OK to have one wing in Ceconite.

Al Barone (909-770-3294) at Rialto has been doing fabric and wood for years. Very familiar with Stits.

Rialto (L67) is just below Cajon Pass, 10 miles north of Flabob. I just talked Al this afternoon and he's got the time to do it now too.

That's great. Very helpful. I'll check out Santa Paula/ Rowana when i get flying again, but for this repair the distance is an issue. Flabob and Rialto sound more reasonable. I'll call to see their avails.

In the meantime I found Midfield Aviation at Apple Valley does work on vintage planes. I looked at some of their work on field, but it's so hard to know what they did and what it looked like before. Has anybody ever heard of them? Am I crazy to trust somebody without a recommendation? The upside is i can stay on field and do some of the work with them (no extra charge :)) keep an eye on quality.

I guess most importantly, can anybody vouch for or even heard of Patrick over at Midfileld Aviation?

Thanks in advance for any help

Here's another one in Tehachapi (TSP): http://recover-your-cub.com/
Take a look at his web site; Ken Hetge has a great collection of Cubs that he takes to the West Cost Cub Flyin at Lompoc each year. He just finished a J4 restoration. I teach across the street from the airport and Ken has been very helpful with my project.
Marty57

Back