PDA

View Full Version : hydraulic flaps

tcraft128
02-07-2010, 06:59 PM
I remember reading about a plane with hydraulic flaps with a dump. I have searched for some pics. Are there any of how the system works? Thanks for the info.
[/list]

wirsig
02-07-2010, 07:09 PM
I've daydreamed about that before using clutch slave cylinders.
speedway link (http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Universal-Pull-Type-Slave-Cylinder-7-8-Inch,783.html)
http://images.speedwaymotors.com/RS/SR/Product/556NP102U_L.jpg

Cubus Maximus
02-07-2010, 08:06 PM
Hydraulic flap with dump. Only shots I have of it.

http://www.supercub.org/photopost/data//512/medium/DSC00224.JPG

rear control stick:

http://www.supercub.org/photopost/data//512/medium/DSC00226.JPG

http://www.supercub.org/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=18113&size=big&cat=

skywagon8a
02-08-2010, 07:13 AM
I remember reading about a plane with hydraulic flaps with a dump. I have searched for some pics. Are there any of how the system works? Thanks for the info.
[/list]

Think safety if you are thinking of doing this. Think of the worst case scenario of one flap up and the other one down. Will you have enough aileron control to oppose the split flap? If not, then you should tie the flaps together some how, torque tube?, bus cable? For a certified airplane this is an FAA requirement.

mikeo
02-08-2010, 11:00 AM
I have the flap dump it's a simple
mod useing a hydralic cylinder an existing cables
mikeo

mikeo
02-08-2010, 11:01 AM
mikeo

mikeo
02-08-2010, 11:02 AM
mikeo

tcraft128
02-08-2010, 11:04 AM
Do you think you could get a few pics of the setup?

Paul Heinrich
02-08-2010, 12:05 PM
And you would require such a setup, why?

AkPA/18
02-08-2010, 12:41 PM
I have flown Mikeo's setup. I really liked it. The flap release is a trigger on the stick.. It was very natural to release the flaps and still have your hand on the throttle. I can picture lots of wind related situations where this would come in handy. Liked it alot.

Mark

STOL Flyer
02-24-2010, 06:41 PM
Yah a couple of pics would be great. Is it a cylinder on the flap handle to push the button for you?
Rich

Olibuilt
07-12-2016, 11:43 AM
I think it's time for me to add a flap dump system to my existing flap handle. I can't convince myself getting my hand off the throttle on landings...

The only good pic I have comes from DA.
But I can't really understand how his setup really works:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/F9_G_EQp6x91LrDQK_oGTwGxB9Q-4kI6TYX8c-fV9CLQlMxRzfw7CXJvI1Lz2UiQzc8V-l3Zmd1FfL8bD3G17Nr57hK8tNxt3f7Ke6rH8w9freqLbHYRW0w f9ToARZht4lTsnhQlr7asezD7zUZ220WSDTpjLJAaPO38HhpW-EhKpxiokpEoXHB2aiyZwqGPErilK9-QeBRz2uEaaQI47509mByGPoID9aWuKSqPrilKR6y8RK7mHKA5x 2bt74XTvNx0C8OVUl1tMWKKYGId_WBJk2WguRPzUMbGXaBsD47 Yrxenfx80EoyIS2XjfUXIEUb8JiS1cotbaMkWbzAWDMEN3AYQH H3oY6txIb52IweQeMXiMevM7gOH2tswFSNsXTHXbntPgR3sQka q0DfnkenCxC-fhaOOGYMlrlUabVNw0kO0Id-5p6jAzDh1OL8rROstCiqdS_QS6URJE8Nw317CHjqhYpzWN8t1Q BQa_uk683D-an3mBR_wWws8-f9uUSRp7Erp4x6nxbRKnvlS7FlKPzPsZbdEXfZCmBDPs3kVP08 kKgZb0Sbkxszws5dVwyzwtq7GohZ975j2bhlKdgZ1xYbySak=w 975-h731-no

Here is a simple diagram that I think would also work.

Cylinder is extended flaps up, and closed full flaps
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/QqVKfWmCpkWFZMEt0OBMsRn3JIgDzZzrzMrZsFu7aU0pctP_lF nkQp0tfMlxgys8jOqmbktNuEw1eGaoVT20W_rUTMCZGsbqaTme fMp8kdOWAqd50kgo1I2SBgjkF2YtcvMsKnHSLVmxOELqgHm4j1 ES7kGz8Oq10QQqkykOHzKCdePLCRh0O2oNl24TevclpZTtheZN ezgOWuGYnccgbybAsVrfbUplowsXzzxXWpf2JD4OOQXalgsdTm 9P3mcGUyr35fMgHemeSUWiffkiOHCJInATzwF3kKA82pZWJEdb-tOZpwZYYRHzEWx8-prplvLoGfwoQAUvJ_V8A_GMWWobkw4ZU_JRGx6F-yGT53zXxM4eHqOxyPqmf1lNIn6clYm_5RNDqafM3hIrKsXTQEy 5Bs9PEsb0ndw9_y5hii8ujw64jv2jtyQmMkkQkFYp73VH965vH VzN_j-hDlZ4IWsoBwypEcDtjbRix_eefElVoP6HgSE4nTXv1zMS09kG-SWLUN2mBSsQ3DapxpU7qGlKbdWnAYKTYkrFO38SG4QsobLoobh qs-o1L8zAEj3dXOHfw_xkCsBOkp_TZwmI7YCM05D0q0s=w975-h731-no

Does 1/8 npt will dump fast enough if flow control is all the way open???

Any advice would be very helpfull.

tcraft128
07-12-2016, 12:04 PM
Funny, i am also working on this right now. This is for my overhead design and uses a 2 way electric valve.

Tim
07-12-2016, 08:41 PM
And you would require such a setup, why?

So when you want to get in real short you can dump the flaps, put all the weight on the main gear and get hard on the brakes

Olibuilt
07-13-2016, 07:19 AM
Funny, i am also working on this right now. This is for my overhead design and uses a 2 way electric valve.

Could you please explain a little more?

I assume the red or blue is oil, but only air in the other cylinder end?

What electric valve do you plan using?

I was looking at one like this: http://www.trailerpartsstore.com/6713-line-lock-out-solenoid.html

(http://www.trailerpartsstore.com/6713-line-lock-out-solenoid.html)But I need to test if 1/8npt will dump fast enough.

skywagon8a
07-13-2016, 07:48 AM
I think it's time for me to add a flap dump system to my existing flap handle. I can't convince myself getting my hand off the throttle on landings...

Probably, that depends on the strength of the return force (spring?) and whether you are on the ground or in the air (air loads against the flap). The word "dump" to me means extremely rapid as in right now, abrupt. Quickly and smoothly would be more desirable.

Flying Bee
07-13-2016, 10:41 AM
[/list]

Talk to DW the last time I saw his plane he had hydraulic flaps with dump system.

tcraft128
07-13-2016, 11:03 AM
I have tried to contact DW about his system, but I have not received a response.

Eddie Foy
07-13-2016, 01:41 PM
Talk to DW the last time I saw his plane he had hydraulic flaps with dump system.

So does Mike O.

BU 1131
07-13-2016, 05:39 PM
I considered hydraulic flaps on my experimental Supercub but saw more negatives than positives. Hydraulic flaps need a mechanical connection or they will not extend or retract equally. Dual master & slave cylinders will solve that problem, but is more complex, heavy & nasty (oil). I decided to go with a simple overhead handle with push-pull rods.

Olibuilt
07-13-2016, 06:59 PM
For sure the only positive is dumping the flaps with the hand still on the throttle. But I think it is worth giving it a try.

Downsides I see are: more complex, 4 pounds max, time and $

Eddie Foy
07-13-2016, 07:31 PM
I considered hydraulic flaps on my experimental Supercub but saw more negatives than positives. Hydraulic flaps need a mechanical connection or they will not extend or retract equally. Dual master & slave cylinders will solve that problem, but is more complex, heavy & nasty (oil). I decided to go with a simple overhead handle with push-pull rods.

Not true. The system to which I was referring uses the stock cables,handle, and pulleys. The mechanism is hidden behind the side panels. Only you know it is there. I had a long discussion with Mike Olsen at JC 2015 about his system. He offered to put me in touch with his guy. Said the cost was around $1000.

Olibuilt
07-13-2016, 07:59 PM
I've been told:

the guy that builds it lives in Montana I think it will run you $1000

Eddie Foy
07-13-2016, 08:01 PM
For sure the only positive is dumping the flaps with the hand still on the throttle. But I think it is worth giving it a try.

Downsides I see are: more complex, 4 pounds max, time and $

The positive for me at 6'4" is that my flap handle is shortened and dumping the flaps requires me to lean forward at a crucial moment. I am not familiar or comfortable with that.

With the hydraulic dump, I can remain in a normal seated position.

Eddie Foy
07-13-2016, 08:05 PM
I've been told:
So have I. Anyone know his hame?

skywagon8a
07-14-2016, 07:27 AM
Hydraulic flaps need a mechanical connection or they will not extend or retract equally.
Extending or retracting equally is not as important as you imagine. As long as the system is not binding somewhere more on one flap than the other, the air loads will balance the flap position in flight. You'll never be aware that there was a difference. Full down flap would be even. Full up flap would be even unless there is a mechanical restriction (tight hinges maybe or whatever else prevents Cub flaps from fully retracting?) preventing the flap from going full up. To be certified without any mechanical connection you will have to demonstrate full aileron control with one flap down and the other locked up in a crosswind. If it is not controllable in this condition you will need either a flap indicator on each flap or the two flaps must be bused together mechanically. That could be as simple as just one balance cable between the bellcranks in each wing.

A flap hydraulic system could power the flaps in both directions or just down with a spring used for up. With a spring return you would only require one hydraulic line where the other would require two.

Another option which would take up more space due to the large size of the actuator, would be pneumatic vacuum. The Stinson V-77 and Waco VMF-7F had vacuum systems. You could leave the control valve on the Stinson down all the time, not that you'd want to. The air loads would control the flap position. On a go around they would automatically retract. These systems were difficult to modulate to an intermediate setting.

On a Super Cub you could attach one actuator behind the baggage compartment to the existing flap cable. This actuator should have a return spring, either internal or external only for the purpose of returning the piston to the flap up position. One hydraulic line to the actuator pump with a lever/button actuated spring loaded check valve mounted wherever you want it between the pump and actuator. To operate, just pump a handle the desired amount for the down flap. To retract just push the lever on the spring loaded check valve for the desired amount of retract. If the flaps retract faster than desired, a restrictor (full flow in one direction, restricted in the other) check valve can be inserted in the hydraulic line.

Make the area of the actuating piston large enough to provide the force against the full air pressure against the flaps. The pump would have a much smaller area so that the pumping forces are low enough for comfort and finite flap position adjustment. You could jury rig a spring scale to the existing flap cable in order to determine the required force. Then it would just involve a few simple calculations to determine size of components only if you wish to get fussy with your design. Make sure that the actuator has enough travel for full flap operation. Rather more than not enough would be preferred.

Rather simple once you put your mind to it. Just a bit of labor to make it happen. Oli is a clever guy, I'll bet that he could make the entire system in his shop without a great deal of expense.

skywagon8a
07-14-2016, 07:39 AM
Just remembered, Oli's flap handle is overhead. He could make the entire system to replace the current one with no or minimal hydraulic lines. Just a mechanical link down next to the throttle for retract.

OLDCROWE
07-14-2016, 08:05 AM
So have I. Anyone know his hame?
I know a guy, that knows this guy, that knows a guy that can make a call for you...

Eddie Foy
07-14-2016, 08:58 AM
Will they have to kill me?

D.A.
07-15-2016, 01:37 AM

The only good pic I have comes from DA.

Any advice would be very helpfull.
Oli my friend, I have some detailed pictures that I'll post later tonight. The flap dump system in my Cub was an early experiment by Cub Crafters. It was a pneumatic industrial cylinder with a simple electric check valve. Check valve one way, electric open the other. The problem with the system at first is that it raised the flaps TOO fast. It was like the cable broke. They then added fluids of different viscosity to calm the thing down. It is a dirt simple system, connects to your existing flap handle in place of the ratchet and frees up a hand during landing. Very cool, very simple system.

MainlandCub
07-15-2016, 01:57 AM

Would you mind posting pictures of your set up?

Thanks,
Andrew.

D.A.
07-15-2016, 05:31 AM
Here are a few pictures.

wireweinie
07-15-2016, 03:13 PM
Just a thought here. After reading D.A.s post I thought about using a damper on the flap retract spring and a trip to disengage the ratchet. The trip could be a solenoid that is activated with a trigger or push button. The damper could just be a shock absorber adjusted to allow the springs to pull the flaps up at a controlled rate. It would be lighter and less oily that a full hydraulic system. Thoughts?

Web

Eddie Foy
07-15-2016, 06:31 PM
Just a thought here. After reading D.A.s post I thought about using a damper on the flap retract spring and a trip to disengage the ratchet. The trip could be a solenoid that is activated with a trigger or push button. The damper could just be a shock absorber adjusted to allow the springs to pull the flaps up at a controlled rate. It would be lighter and less oily that a full hydraulic system. Thoughts?

Web

Wow. You stole my idea. It could work.

Mike O showed me his setup. It was totally stealth. It looked entirely factory. The guts were hidden behind the side panel.

wireweinie
07-15-2016, 07:01 PM
We've worked with similar systems.

Maybe a push button switch on the throttle knob? Dump the flaps while keeping your hand on the throttle.

Web

Eddie Foy
07-15-2016, 08:34 PM
My main concern is the inadvertent dumping of the flaps with undesirable results. A solution would be a wow switch which opens another bucket of worms.

Olibuilt
07-15-2016, 08:35 PM

Web

I can't remember a stock Super Cub flap handle but: The hard part is to disengage the flap handle locking teeth, without pulling manually on the handle to release tension so the teeth comes a little loose. Like a car parking brake.
Any idea would be great to continue this route.

My existing flap handle or modified car parking brake:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/2zymyJp-Wpe3y53JiIzSbJQN0gJmuMbblKVornxHkkeA2-hMQnzYKhf7Eh4kwkQD_ASa88SONCFL3BnAPn8dNk5fqJ0ixZaw 6yaP1IjLUmXoYR3VvYQs-2Fp0ukjwxQjkyI_890Q9l_N0ciQh9cKQEeALi4Bbb8eItP34pv UCeN0xIW23zrB5yvDw0mxQsUhWiHDNpxxLjvfcz23GZzUE0d2i J17ewJBvLxqNBJiYQRFcRJOlNHbubhUYQBwED_K5FQmc0Xayd9 GxQc4xnIXAIC_o4fMkhya0SPgtDQraM7U4vLrUQXEvaZUSFG2h VosUyYCphdu6RPs-XQ8_rLEH2P0L-xYTDcv4vFkx6CJvka934QyPmF86eAxd430CD2mpMYUE7DTOzG5 mUbAmmT46OzJ7rK14RPxuXpXrKXmjp6Uow43vTHu1oYEBK6_bc sXfXQWOZszrxfEqhmmBf5L1DaKbbklunJ8Ty1_uERPLs0rES6J x8iIMOPqgrVREoK2ncbd4XzEUGm5d41L7PCeQYbl0dTSHR5sNa bx0V9koQKlXGjNuwC_sf8GrEJ40mbyAjzVnNLwUdhbuhtMajbf gq0ZUm-kpE8=w975-h731-no

I also tough using a lockable ''ATV steering wheel shock'' combine with a electric actuator or solenoid. The little spring/loose in those shock was bothering me. So the lack or complexity of adjustment.

http://thumbs.ebaystatic.com/images/g/H3sAAOSwzJ5XfTaT/s-l225.jpg

But this little steering shock replacing the ratchet could maybe do the work.

Trying not to bend my friend buggy... :

http://youtu.be/zx2ys1YM9Eg

http://youtu.be/MXe232k5hSw

wireweinie
07-15-2016, 09:08 PM
The damper could just be a small diameter, double action, cylinder. Tie both ports together and have the fluid (JP-4?) pass from one side to the other through an orifice.
For the release, I'm thinking about a solenoid that will mimic the existing push button. Might have to work the pawl on the ratchet to let it release smoother. Just like polishing the sear on a rifle. That way the flap system will work as manually as designed or with the solenoid releasing the pawl.

Web

Eddie Foy
07-15-2016, 09:20 PM
The damper could just be a small diameter, double action, cylinder. Tie both ports together and have the fluid (JP-4?) pass from one side to the other through an orifice.
For the release, I'm thinking about a solenoid that will mimic the existing push button. Might have to work the pawl on the ratchet to let it release smoother. Just like polishing the sear on a rifle. That way the flap system will work as manually as designed or with the solenoid releasing the pawl.

Web

How do you address the inadvertent dumping of the flaps?

wireweinie
07-16-2016, 12:56 AM
How do you address the inadvertent dumping of the flaps?

About the only thing you could do is put a guard on the switch. Even then it's not a sure thing. I once had a guy flip up the 'toilet seat' and push the stores eject on an Apache. In the hanger. Not sure how to build in a cutout to only allow the electrical activation at certain times.

Web

Eddie Foy
07-16-2016, 07:27 AM
About the only thing you could do is put a guard on the switch. Even then it's not a sure thing. I once had a guy flip up the 'toilet seat' and push the stores eject on an Apache. In the hanger. Not sure how to build in a cutout to only allow the electrical activation at certain times.

Web

Put in a guarded master arm for the button. Arm it and it is hot.

popsdory
07-18-2016, 12:44 AM
I've got a manual valve to retract mine. I just hook my thumb on it an when I chop the chrottle, I actuate the valve an they go up smoothly. Check it out at New Holstein or Oshkosh.. Works Awesome.. cost about $100. Just a hydraulic cylinder and check valve to hold flaps down, with a mechanical bypass valve.

gpepperd
07-18-2016, 02:34 PM
I was always under the impression that Mikeo's system was way simpler that some of what is proposed here. I no he's recovering from surgery but doesn't anyone else know how his flaps work? DW? Eddie? We need a little help here:roll:

Flying Ds
07-18-2016, 02:52 PM
Greg, so nice to see your post. MikeO and I have the same flap dump system. Mine was made by Mark Jaeger in WA. The last I knew Mark had these made up and assembled and sells them for less than $1000. Let me know if you would want to contact him.
Ed Doyle

Eddie Foy
07-18-2016, 05:49 PM
Greg, so nice to see your post. MikeO and I have the same flap dump system. Mine was made by Mark Jaeger in WA. The last I knew Mark had these made up and assembled and sells them for less than $1000. Let me know if you would want to contact him.
Ed Doyle
Can you please PM me his info?

texmex
07-18-2016, 06:12 PM
I'm a bit lost on this thread.

To dump the flap in a Cub, don't you just push the button and the handle falls away to the floor?

Eddie Foy
07-18-2016, 06:59 PM
I'm a bit lost on this thread.

To dump the flap in a Cub, don't you just push the button and the handle falls away to the floor?

Not quite that simple.

Randyk
07-18-2016, 07:29 PM
Not quite that simple.

Oh? How is that?

Eddie Foy
07-18-2016, 08:34 PM
You cant just simply push the button. It is held at the desired setting by a pawl. You must pull on the handle to relieve pressure. That relieves the pawl and allows you to push the button.
Then lower the lever. Suppose you could just let go of it but I dont treat my equipment that way.

A hydraulic system allows you accomplish all that faster, easier, and without having to lean down.

Hope this helps.

Eddie Foy
07-19-2016, 10:43 PM

Pretty please?

skywagon8a
07-20-2016, 06:46 AM
...A hydraulic system allows you accomplish all that faster, easier, and without having to lean down..
Not always, I have seen situations where you would want an intermediate flap setting which could only be determined by "feeling" the pressures on the handle while at the same time not wanting the throttle to be moved either from full open or closed. These were "tight" situations where "no go" was not an option. Any time when landing where you wish to dump the flaps for extra braking action there is always enough time to move your hand from a closed throttle to the flap handle. If you perceive that there isn't enough time between closing the throttle and dumping the flaps, you have been using too much throttle just before touchdown.

I'll take direct mechanical over hydraulic or electric powered flaps any day for optimum performance in tight quarters. Also it is my opinion that it takes less time to reposition your throttle hand to the flap handle when the handle is in the original Cub location rather than overhead.

BU 1131
07-22-2016, 07:41 PM
Would you mind posting pictures of your set up?

Thanks,
Andrew.

Eddie Foy
07-22-2016, 10:43 PM

Guess Ill have to ask Mike O.

gpepperd
07-23-2016, 02:49 PM
Got this from the Doyle's. The fellow that made Mike O's & Eddie's flap set up is Mark Jaeger @ 509-539-3876. Guess he lives in the Tri Cities area of WA. I think Mark has it pretty well figured out and the wheel does not need to be reinvented��

bob turner
07-24-2016, 12:56 PM
I am with Randy. If you were comfortable going in and out of a 400' strip with stock flaps, how long a strip will you be comfortable with if you can dump flaps and still keep your hands on throttle and stick?

Eddie Foy
07-24-2016, 02:16 PM
I am with Randy. If you were comfortable going in and out of a 400' strip with stock flaps, how long a strip will you be comfortable with if you can dump flaps and still keep your hands on throttle and stick?
A bunch when I don't have to bend forward at a crucial moment.

bob turner
07-24-2016, 02:53 PM
Well, then, let me put it another way. If you can get in and out of a 400 foot strip without touching the flap lever, how much shorter if you do dump the flaps on landing? And can you still get out?

gpepperd
07-24-2016, 03:18 PM
This is not all about landing short. When you are landing in blueberry or other brush that is 20-24" tall, when you are in snow or mud, swamps, or when you are landing on a steep uphill slope are instances that come to mind. You hate to remove your hand from the throttle because of the possible drag associated with these situations. You may need partial to considerable throttle to keep the aircraft right side up. If you don't drop the flaps the pitching moment of full flaps can only make the situation more dire. Hope you see my point here.......sometimes it would be nice to have 3 hands or a flap retract button on the stick.

Tim
07-24-2016, 03:33 PM
If that doesn't explain it, nothing will.

skywagon8a
07-24-2016, 09:00 PM
Is this approved under an STC?

bda
07-26-2016, 06:35 PM
....sometimes it would be nice to have 3 hands or a flap retract button on the stick.

Anyone ever put the throttle on the flap handle???
like hellichoppter...

Eddie Foy
07-26-2016, 07:07 PM
anyone ever put the throttle on the flap handle???
Like hellichoppter...

ygbsm!

Tim
07-26-2016, 08:07 PM
like hellichoppter...

:yikez:

:yikez:

OLDCROWE
07-26-2016, 08:16 PM
like hellichoppter...
Blasphemy!

Eddie Foy
07-26-2016, 08:31 PM
like hellichoppter...
Not if he was in his right mind!

Jonnyo
10-13-2016, 04:51 PM
[QUOTE=skywagon8a;664426]Not always, I have seen situations where you would want an intermediate flap setting which could only be determined by "feeling" the pressures on the handle while at the same time not wanting the throttle to be moved either from full open or closed. These were "tight" situations where "no go" was not an option. Any time when landing where you wish to dump the flaps for extra braking action there is always enough time to move your hand from a closed throttle to the flap handle. If you perceive that there isn't enough time between closing the throttle and dumping the flaps, you have been using too much throttle just before touchdown.

I'll take direct mechanical over hydraulic or electric powered flaps any day for optimum performance in tight quarters. Also it is my opinion that it takes less time to reposition your throttle hand to the flap handle when the handle is in the original Cub location rather than
overhead.[/QUOTE

Skywagon said, " I'll take direct mechanical over hydraulic or electric powered flaps any day.........."

Good advice. Keep it simple. The landing areas that you need to use a flap dump system are already pushing the envelope to the max. How many times have you had a solenoid fail? They don't fail a little bit. It's great or zero.

Jonnyo
10-26-2018, 02:06 PM

Does your push pull system dump the flaps? Could you describe it and post a picture? Thanks, Jonny O

BU 1131
10-26-2018, 05:50 PM
Fuselage is currently disassembled for covering; I will post pictures after final assembly. Flaps can be moved to four settings (0, 20, 40, 60 degrees) by moving spring-loaded flap handle approx. 1 1/2" to the center of the aircraft and fore/aft to the desired setting.